Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejecting a job offer for another

Options
  • 12-08-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I've been interviewing for jobs and accepted/signed an offer letter from Company A. Today Company B, which I'm more interested in working for, sent me an offer.

Can I reject Company A's offer at this stage? Besides feeling awful about it (they even sent me onboarding materials), would I get into any legal trouble with them? I have not signed a work contract with them yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

It happens from time to time. I know what I would do, and that is to tell company A IMMEDIATELY that I will have to pull out and apologize. No point leading them on.

What happens next is anyones guess. Most likely they will be sound and still have another person to chose from during the application process past.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭NiceFella

I wouldn't say so. I worked in financial services and the amount of times I heard we had a new starter who subsequently pulled out by the date they were supposed to start to join another company. It happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭I am me123

I think as long as you don't have a contract signed with Company A you can change your mind. Was in a similar situation recently myself and I had no contract signed and I changed my mind with no negative consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

You've accepted the job offer in writing though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Yes. It was done remotely through Docusign and felt quite official, which led me to wonder if I could back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

If you really don't want the job and there's a danger you wouldn't stay in it then best to let the company know ASAP as @jmlad2020 said.

And if those on "boarding materials" include computer hardware then do organise to return them sharpish as a lot of companies are finding them hard to come by these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Annascaul

The problem is no matter how much you apologise for pulling out of that offer, that particular company in question might blacklist you for future employment. I've noticed this practice quite often with various companies in North America. Whether this happens in Ireland, I don't know. Ultimately it's down to that particular company and often differs greatly to other employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm in a very similar position myself. I was looking for work for ages and interviewing for positions with different companies.

I accepted a job offer with one company because at the time it was the best concrete offer I had, but now my first choice has returned from nowhere with a job offer.

I haven't started yet with the first company, but I have signed the contract and they have sent me onboarding equipment - but the other job has better pay, better conditions and is more interesting.

I'm honestly pretty conflicted about it, people are reassuring me that it's a no-brainer and people do this - quiting a new job for another - all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How was the document that you signed worded ?

the only thing I’ve ever signed for a job is an actual work contract that would include..

• pay
    • hours / shift
    • benefits
    • position
    • key responsibilities

etc...

it sounds what they got you to sign was a letter of intent of sorts...

id just contact them, apologize but you have to pull out for personal reasons that were not in existence at the time of you interviewing and accepting the job... it won’t be resolved in the immediate therefore in the best interests of them and yourself you can’t accept the offer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

You have no need to tell them your choosing a over b or any versions of that.

Simply contact them and say, on mature reflection you are going to hold out for a job that suits you better.

Thank then and do what you need to do.

Edit, spelling

Advertisement