Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to have an argument with my builder

Options
  • 12-08-2021 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭

Hi

We're getting a kitchen refurb done and as part of it we need to take out a 1m x 1m window and block it up. It's on the gable end of the house and faces north.

The builder finished this part of the job today while I was working upstairs. Looks good. Just needs the interior skim done tomorrow.

But when I checked on the render outside I copped that he has left the window in place and just boarded up the opening with a wooden panel flush with the rest of the gable wall and rendered on top.

Surely this is just insane!!! I'm surprised though because he's been great with everything else so just wanted to be 100% sure this is just bad before I take it up with him. Surely it's reasonable to expect that he would have used blocks and mortar.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've never ever heard of that being done. That sounds very shoddy.

Definitely sounds dodgy.../.... weird , a bit of a 5/8's job. What did ye agree on at the outset??? Surely, removing the window AND blocking off was discussed at some stage??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks for the replies. Yes, we said we wanted the window out and blocked up. We didn't exactly spell out 'take the window out and fill the opening with blocks'. It never occurred to me that there could be any confusion or room for skimping.

But an update! I've found some off-cuts of cement board and looks like that is what he used. Is that a reasonable and safe option for me? I can't get my head round the fact that a 1m square patch of my house wall makes a hollow sounds when I knock on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭daheff

Imagine what other short cuts he's taking.

Might be time to get a professional pm in to deal with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Is he a big builder or a one man show ?

It could be possible that the lads working for him took the short cut without him knowing . .

I wouldnt accept it . Its a botch.

Talk to him . And see what he says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

In fairness he went the right way of doing the wrong job prob put some rigid insulation between the window and cement board also .🤣

Tell him a mate of yours wants the window for a shed and where did he leave it🤔.

Seriously though the window should of been blocked up.

Advertisement