Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick question re keeping or selling 2008 Passat

Options
  • 12-08-2021 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this makes sense - I've a 2008 1.4 Petrol Passat (Tsi) that I'm upgrading from.

I also have a 2005 Child that will be learning to drive in the next 6-9 months.

Does it make sense to keep this car for my child as their first car or sell/trade it in?

Pros:

Low mileage - is only just over 100k miles.

Relatively quite good condition.

Small engine presumably insurer friendly (Not at all sure about this?)

Safe, comfortable, practical car.

Cons:

Is it better to sell now and get a newer small car like a 2012 Focus etc - Perhaps better suited to a Learner Driver?

Car might start to present bills over the next while due to its age - Although I've done a few bit recently so it may be fine.....

Any thoughts appreciated - Guessing this has come up for some of you before this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Honestly, I would keep it for your child rather than roll the dice and buy something you dont know much about. Better the devil you know and all that. Plus, it might not be a bad idea for them to learn in a bigger car, I've seen far too many people learn to drive in small cars who found the transition to a larger saloon very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you got insurance quotes for them on the existing Passat? Might not be half way cheap for a new young driver given the age and type of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

A 17 y/o learner will most likely not get their own insurance policy on a 1.4 tsi. Also I found learning to drive in an Audi A3 of the same generation to be extremely difficult compared to my driving instructors Fiesta so that’s another thing to bare in mind.

I would sell it and get something more suitable for a learner. Something like a Micra, Fiesta, Yaris, Aygo etc

Advertisement