Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two Buildings:Menlo Castle & Eglinton St Garda Station

Options
  • 09-08-2021 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

On a walk recently I noticed ivy removed from part of Menlo Castle's front facade. I can't remember this place without any ivy and was wondering if anyone knows who is doing this? Ivy can be destructive and its removal must be to protect it. On such an old structure the process of removing it could also destroy it. Anyone got any info about what's happening there?

Like many others I ignored the 'No bikes Allowed' sign in the old Eglinton Garda Station and locked my bike there. That section of Eglinton St, the station and opposite it, nowadays is as depressing a sight as you will see in the city. How valued the sight of that station would be today compared to what is there now. Just think of what it could be used for today.

Would it not have been a protected structure and what were the circumstances of its demolition? How was it allowed to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ok I'll bite: where exactly in Eglinton St was the garda station? What is there now?

I remember Ronnie O'Gorman wrote in the Advertiser about the castle a year or so ago, included was a suggestion to remove the Ivy. I think Cllr Frank Fahy may have taken on board this. It can damage certain parts of buildings, especially lintels, or where small gaps occur between walls. It was likely doing no harm here, as it was very mature, not sending out the primary climbing shoots. Also Menlo castle home to Barn Owls and a maternity roost of the European protected Lesser Horseshoe Bat, so any work really should be authorised correctly, this did not happen I would say. Just the traditional Irish love of hammering the natural world.

The station was a red brick building where Eddie Rockets was. It was unusual for Galway as a redbrick Victorian building, not particularly beautiful. Just not valued by anyone who could make a difference. Like Galwegians Clubhouse which is going to be knocked soon too, these older buildings of character, unless legally protected are doomed. Back in the 60s the Lions Tower behind this was demolished overnight, a medieval city wall bastion!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

If it was still here now I think it would be like the Taj Mahal! Its Victorian redness a reason alone to keep it. How in the name of God was this building demolished? I recall there was some effort to save it from destruction to no avail. I don't know anything about protected structures or when same became enforced but if it was still standing today I doubt very much if it would be demolished. There used to be a shed in the station where stolen bikes were kept and it was open as far as I can remember. Some people had the temerity just to pop in and ...reclaim a bicycle.

That building was such a central part of the street I can't imagine anyone not knowing where it was (Or, and this is much more likely, I'm past past it myself...!)

It was directly opposite the 5 Star supermarket/Oyster bar (😁) and went down to the corner of Daly's Place (itself the subject of another thread recently).

Kenny's have a period photo - complete with the 'correct' name - even up to the mid(ish) 80s this was the Garda BARRACKS. Salthill had a Garda station but this was the barracks - something to do with history, I think ...

And, from a Facebook post, a stunning, full colour image from the 80s.

[quote]That building was such a central part of the street I can't imagine anyone not knowing where it was (Or, and this is much more likely, I'm past past it myself...!) [/quote]

Well I've lived here for almost 15 years, and am a sticky-beak who takes keen interest in what's around and what used to be in places.

And this is the first time I've ever heard of the building.

TBH, I'd see the red bricks as making it a historical aberration, not something which fits the grey Galway stone look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

@Mrs OBumble : Nearly 15 years...? Pshaw, you spring chicken (😁)

For more reading, Tom Kenny's article the main image came from is here: https://www.kennys.ie/old-galway/1485-40the-barracks-eglinton-street-02-04-15

I think, perhaps, you may have missed the worst of Galway. While the Garda Barracks was an eyesore in its own way, the rest of the town (At least up to the mid 80s when I bailed) was drab and grey with a lot of ruined buildings around. The changes are rather startling to me.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The Garda Barracks an eyesore? Can not agree with that.

Depressing to see what there is today in that section of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've zero memory of it, can remember bits of Eglinton St from being a kid in the 80s eg Buck Rogers but never knew there was a barracks there either.

@bobbyss - Each to their own and I won't hold it against you but personally I think it was totally out of character for the street (That may be the only time you will ever hear of Eglinton Street having 'character') and the design was so insipid it was inspired... But it did add a splash of colour, I'll grant you that 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I was in it twice. First time I was seven or eight and I'd found a bird in the Square with a broken wing.

The lad on duty was brilliant. Took the bird and told me he'd make it better (yeah, I copped on a few years later). He brought me out the side and told me to take a bike as a thank you 🏆

Second time was when I went for my first passport. Gang of the lads sitting on a couch away from the hatch gave me a wave. One of them eventually stubbed out his cigarette, got up and signed the form.

It really was a lovely building. If I remember correctly there was a campaign to turn it into either a hostel or a training centre. I was in England at the time so not sure what happened. When I got back it was gone.

What a lovely story. The poor birdie. I was never inside myself. I think there were holding cells facing onto the yard and I was somewhat afraid of the place. Its most famous guest may have been John Shaw-part of Ireland's first serial killers. He murdered Mary Duffy and disposed of the body in Lough Inagh. He was captured in Salthill and brought to Eglinton Street. He escaped out a toilet window onto Daley's Place but was later caught in Woodquay.

The Hole in the Wall pub being so named because it's yard backed onto the barracks yard and there was a hole in the wall to allow Constables/Guards to go in for a drink out of hours.

Don't remember the building personally.

Might have been interesting to keep but I don't think there was any great attachment to it.

Colonial Buildings are more distinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Lived near there in the 70's, there was a disused handball alley out the back and a billiard room upstairs in an ancillary building.You could see the the row of victorian era cells with their heavy wooden doors and filthy mattresses on the ground.There was also lots of bikes stored around the place.Sometimes the sergeant used to let us see the cells and tell us we'd end up in there.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

i remember buck rogers being on prospect hill not eglinton street

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Buck Rogers was on prospect hill, thought he had a branch on Eglinton street at one stage, then it became Abrakebabra, Kaspers on Mary street was nice in the mid 80s

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

You could be right. I may have misremembered, there was some kind of similar takeaway on Eglinton St, narrow, roughly where the Wine Buff or Carbon is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 daniel_h

I definitely remember walking out of GPO staggering slightly to my right and ending up with a cheeseburger on a few occasions.

No it was long before the days of the GPO I'm talking about. I'm talking around 86/87/88.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

It's such a pitty the Garda Barracks was demolished. What an ugly eye sore stands in its place, not even painted. I was only a child but remember it. Why was there so little appreciation of period buildings. Even the building to the right of McDermot&Allen Solicitors on St. Francis Street was destroyed by the addition of a new entrance and extra floor about 20 years ago. Also the ornate reveal plasterwork of upper floors of Colonial buildings were removed and the facade of the Post Office was " modernised" in the 1960 s or 70s and destroyed. I also remember the chip shop across the road. From Garda Barracks,For some reason I thought you went down steps as you walked in. I also seem to think the counter was well back from the entrance. That's a long time ago and I was only about 12.

Apart from a few new houses in Whitestrand? Rd, I'm struggling to think of any red-brick buildings in Galway. Or am I missing something obvious?

The former staff houses opposite the Magdalen building on Foster street/ college road or the limerick steamship building in the corner of the docks. Albeit it has a very modern office block above it.

The Custom House on Flood St is a twentieth century red brick

The 'modernisation' of the Post Office. It has been a long time since I was last inside it but there was never any fresh air in it. It was always stuffy and headache inducing. The interior felt and looked dreary. The outside of the building is no less dreary and looks like an old dump that you see in a desperate town down the country somewhere.

I was referring to the "modernised" facade of the Post Office. Historic photographs will illustrate what a mistake this was in retrospect. Some of the staff are as dreary as the interior.

The Magdalen building is on St. Mary Magdalen Terrace. College Road does not begin until you pass Forster House, the spectacular period property on its own grounds ( owned by the Ryan family of Ardilaun Hotel and Ryan's Shop) at the top of the hill.

Yes, you're right. Funnily enough when I read the post I recalled an elderly neighbor who often spoke of living in Magdalen Terrace. Haven't heard it called that in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Further up on the street was the Savoy amusements ,under the skating rink upstairs ! Roller skating discos..going back a bit.

• Advertisement

Advertisement