Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If people can work from home using just unsecured domestic broadband, then surely they can work from a hub with similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Assuming you have all of the necessary equipment and connectivity at home, what would be the point in commuting to a hub where none of your colleagues are? Perhaps social interaction, or quiet away from a busy household. Otherwise you might as well be at home.

Edited to add: Maybe there is insufficient space or a reluctance to have space taken up with work equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

First issue would be that you've a fair degree of confidence who has control of and access to a network at home. You don't have the same confidence with a shared network.

It is certainly theoretically possible, but would require a degree of design and config work to enable it.

You don't have confidence. Housemates could be up to anything and everything. But hey, employers just said "go for it".

In March 2020, we surveyed 50 users to see if we could possibly use their own devices. The vast majority had no idea if their home PC anti-virus was regularly updated - or even what it was called. I don't really trust that broadband is password protected.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Returning to the office is not important to everyone's mental health. It can be detrimental to the mental health of some. Not everyone enjoys the "social" aspect of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's true, and the corollary is also true, that WFH is detrimental to mental health and indeed physical health for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CivilServantCP

The horse has bolted on this. Remote has been proven over a year and a half now. We need it to continue for the housing market, work life balance and global warming. How can the government push their “making remote work” campaign, connected hubs and not lead the way with substantial reform themselves? You can use a laptop anywhere with good secure wifi. There is no need for long commutes anymore for those who can carry out their job wfh. The Civil service is the great defender of the work life balance and if they fall behind on this to the private sector they will find it hard to compete for staff.

Post edited by CivilServantCP on

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭James2020App

Appartently have heard that one of the larger departments have called all their staff in one day a week from September and two days a week from October.

Oh yes, Gulf Stream is collapsing let’s pull everyone back to the office to burn needless carbon. Fair play to them..

Because heating McMansions around the country is so much better than heating one office building.

Here's one article about it, there are many more: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/02/is-remote-working-better-for-the-environment-not-necessarily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

A compe

I don't think that has much, if any, relevance to a temperate climate like we have in Ireland, there is no home aircon and heating isn't need for the vast majority of even the winter months, the loss in commuting would be much much larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Do you think the unionised nature of the PS and the resulting difficulty in managing (some) staff might make remote working less feasible? If it is difficult to manage certain people in the office, I am sure it will be even more difficult if they are at home. It would probably not go down well if certain people are not allowed WFH, so might make it an issue for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bernard12

All CS Depts have been tasked with coming up with their own plans for return to offices / hybrid working so what may happen in one Dept it does not mean it will necessarily follow in another.

The group tasked with managing the return in my Dept has yet to convene, so I am not expecting anything by September.

I've yet to see a home in Ireland that doesn't have heating on in winter. Most have it on in spring and autumn too. Many heat the entire house, not just the room they're working in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Of course I was referring to extra heat required for wfh which is what the article is about, normal household heating in the morning and the evening would be on regardless of anyone being in the house during the day so is not part of the equation

You can control how much heating you use and your personal electricity too. You can even use a provider that is 100% green like SSE Airtricity. What you can’t do is find an alternative to a bus train or car if you live on the commuter belt and even if you can brave the traffic in a car good luck finding and paying for parking. Besides that the country needs this anyway. It’s not healthy or sustainable to have people spending 3+ hours every day commuting. Not good for family life, parents weren’t getting to see their kids at all. They were leaving for work before they were awake and returning when they had gone to bed. That is no way to exist. Secondly Dublin is not able for the volume of ppl and even if we could build all the homes we need over night the objectors would bring the whole thing to a halt. But more to the point some people have now seen the other side and want to move out. The government’s connected hubs.. our rural future and making remote work campaigns support all these sentiments. They can’t expect everyone to row in if they don’t themselves.

Post edited by CivilServantCP on

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭exitstageleft

Surely this Covid surge is going to end up affecting the September/October back-to-the-office plan.

Surely most people will be vaccinated by then? It shouldn't really be an issue going into the office.

• Advertisement

Most people are fully vaccinated now, but numbers are still going up.

Yes and Covid will remain endemic. After the delta variant we will have epsilon, eta, theta etc variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Are some Departments operating Flexitime again or how is the above scenario viable?

I’d like to think we’ll have caught up on our health system back log, women will be able to have babies with their partners present, musicians will be allowed perform in front of crowds, etc, before we have to go to another room to use the laptop we’re using now from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gladerunner

Its quite something that you assume just because you haven't seen it that most people will have heating is on.

Many homes now ( including my own ) run at a constant temp, regardless of if it is occupied or not. Plus in lot of other cases, one person is at home with kids etc.

I wonder will how much will this comprehensive roadmap that the government are talking about publishing on the 31st of August affect the CS and there possible return to work. The Taoiseach did state in the news that it would include information on return to workplace and return to offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rasher_Sausage

My Department isn't operating flexi at the moment.

But I heard through my Union last week that Dpers are in discussions with unions to do away with flexi completely as part of the blended return to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 frenchman

Anymore developments in various Departments? Just been told that we will be in one day per week by end of Sept and possibly two at end of October. I am hoping that there won't be a requirement for any greater levels of attendance, provided that work can be done remotely etc as part of the blended working policies being developed.

Nothing specific from my own place yet. Still think that this will be a big week in finding out the likely way the government will approach all this.

It does again seem that the government are pushing ahead with their "Return to Office" plan. Reading the independent today they stated "that office workers are expected to return to the workplace in phases from September 13. Government officials will work over the weekend to finalise a roadmap for reopening with set dates, with September 20 a key date for lifting of remaining restrictions."

It will be really interesting to see how much flexibility that may or may not be given to departments and their management as this whole thing unravels.

• Advertisement

Our official consultative group has still not met yet!

Hadn't heard that about flexitime, that's interesting.

Advertisement