Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

Coming home was very easy. Pulled up to the kiosk was asked for Passports and DCC and PCR results, handed in 5 minutes we were off heading for border check that was quick as well. Have spent longer in Calais and Dover every time we went that way

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I get mine as an add-on to my travel insurance with the VHI Multitrip policy, it’s considerably less than the 129

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Hi All, Just looking for some advice. Usually, we would fly but next year we are thinking of going to France via Irish Ferries Dublin-Cherbourg. The problem is we are a family of 5 with the youngest being 9 at the time. Are there any cabins on WB Yeats that would suit or will I have to book two cabins? If I do book two, how can I be sure that will be side by side?

Has anyone travelled with more than the usual 2+2 offers?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭yiddo59

This lot quoting 84 euro for annual policy covering Ireland/UK/Europe for a car under 10 years old https://www.breakdowncover.ie/ComparePrices.asp#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Dunno about the WB Yeats, but we were in a 6 berth cabin on the Stena Horizon from Roslare this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I have called them several times over the last few days but have been left on hold for 45 minutes before I ran out of patience...

Did you think your reply was useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

How closely are they scrutinising the pcr tests coming home? We’ve managed to get a pcr test booked in France but it’s a tad early. I think we’ll be a couple of hours outside the 72 by the time we are coming off the boat….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭webpal

From our own experience, it would be very cramped in a 4 bed, in fact, depending on the other ages, I would say not doable if your youngest is 9. Someone could get a seat though if you wanted to do that. I don’t think WBY offers cabins of 5 beds and up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

Looked at ours but there was no QR code to scan. By the way we booked ours for 10 am and it was 11.45 by the time it was done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 MadsFi

I find they are better for replying on social media, I've asked them stuff on twitter and they tend to get back within a few hours.

Seeing as Irish Ferries operate the ship, yes I think they might be a more reliable source of information than here.

Would it be helpful to suggest you explore their website or send them an email?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

In my experience it depends on the individual at the check in kiosk in France or the Customs officer in Ireland. If you get past the French check in and board with a negative PCR test which is marginally outside the 72 hour limit I think you'd be very unlucky to find an Irish Customs officer who'd pull you given you have a negative PCR test albeit a few hours outside the 72 but they are scanning the QR codes on the certs with mobile scanners / mobile phones.

Also, there's a good chance you'll arrive early or you can argue that you entered Irish waters (and therefore "arrived") 90 minutes before actually docking although if you're down to making that argument I think you're in trouble!

The other thing you can do is simply please ignorance and say you deliberately booked the time of the PCR test to allow for the time difference and give that helpless look to the officer when they explain you got the timing difference back to front and instead of being 2-3 hours inside the 72 hour limit your test was actually 2-3 hours outside the limit :-)

BTW, on the point Dzer2 made about the time of the actual test being an hour or more later than the actual appointment, we had to get 2 PCR tests done at different times and in different locations for our two kids (travelling back at different times) and on both occasions the PCR test cert quoted the official scheduled time not the actual time the test was done which in both cases was 30-45 minutes after the official appointment time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I was just on the W B Yeats and in a club class family cabin, it would be doable but pretty tight for 5, but Interestingly enough there was a interconnecting door between us and the cabin next door. No idea how to book it but I noted it for the future (also a family of 5 but some smallies share with my folks).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Family of 5, 2019 we done a 4 berth, top to toe the eldest 2 (8&6) at the time. 2 yr old shared with me. Next yr doing the same, maybe more difficult kids will be (11,9,5) but it out weighs the cost of another cabin for the moment. We have 1chair booked each way to facilitate the booking.

Thanks all for your replies. I've emailed/Twittered Irish ferries & will update with answer when they get back to me. Connected cabins would be perfect as kids might be bit too long to share beds top to toe....

I had already sifted through their website with no luck.

Is there anyone else on the Cork-Roscoff ferry tomorrow (14/08)?

I was originally booked to go next week 21/08 but a friend from Scotland who was due to visit me this week had to cancel so I took the chance to go a week earlier.

im not sure what he traffic will be like this weekend being the end of the French peak season although I’m hoping that arriving on Sunday morning it won’t be too bad……

Depends where you are going but you are likely to be sharing the road with a lot of caravans and motor homes. Start and finish of the August holidays in France are notoriously bad for traffic.

I’ll be in good company then, I’m traveling with a caravan myself 😁

I’m heading down to the Loire valley, Montreuil Bellay is my first stop, I’ve got 3 weeks booked there then on further south I’ve got 4 weeks booked in Sommieres. I don’t normally book any sites but this year just feels so different I decided to book my main 2 sites just to be sure…….

You won't be trying to overtake so. You can expect a bit of delay on the peripherique around Rennes and Nantes. Sunday can be the worst unfortunately so give yourself time.

• Advertisement

👍 thanks, I’ll be taking the ring around Rennes but won’t be going around Nantes I head towards Angers so I guess that it will be similar on the Angers ring….

Everyone coming back from holiday in Brittany will be going around Rennes. You could go further east via Caen. Probably still jammers but not as bad as Rennes!

Sorry, forgot you were starting from Roscoff. Rennes it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

We always book 2 cabins and they are always side by side. They match the two rooms when you book. You dont even need to ask.

Post edited by Deeman83 on

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

On a similar note does anyone know if Brittany Ferries offer interconnected cabins on the Pont Aven? And/or do they allocate 2 cabins side by side?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

A option may be Le Serignan Plage, down beside Aloha. Its a Yelloh site, very well run. Has direct beach access and great slide options for the kids. Downside is limited english speakers (usual about 30%), but very few this year - mostly Dutch or French themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Not 100% sure and so might be wrong but don't think that Pont Aven has connecting cabins. However like IF if you book 2 cabins they usually give them next to each other If that doesn't happen a phone call to their office in Cork will sort it. I know people who've called them to ask for a specific cabin and it was sorted without any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Thanks 54.

Time in test is 9.10 am Friday. Will plead time confusion but hopefully will be ok. Will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Has anyone used the Brittany Ferries ship on the route to northern Spain / southern France lately? What's the ship like for the long passage, what are cabins/ restaurants and prices on board like ? I'll be on the Connemara in a few weeks time for a holiday in the French Pyrennes and just looking for some basic info, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Has anybody had any experience obtaining a passe sanitaire, having been vaccinated in Northern Ireland? The French government opened up an email application process to convert non-EU vaccine certs last week, but I’ve yet to hear back. I’ve also heard that some French pharmacies are issuing French certs to vaccinated tourists.

Travelling next week and this is the last thing to sort — would rather avoid antigen tests every few days while I’m there.

Advertisement