Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Change is Normal and Welcome in My Opinion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

None of these people have any concrete ideas other than being ideologically opposed to nuclear power and screaming about how bad consumerism is. They are devoid of actual real life ideas that people will engage with.

They are ideologues and are not useful participants in any real actions that need to be discussed to move this forward. Just like climate deniers are not useful participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭wassie

Your view on Australia's contribution to global emissions:

They are one of the biggest producers of emissions in the developed world per capita (double what we produce per capita).

My view on Australia's contribution to global emissions:

2018 Rank in Global emissions: 16th

SOURCE: https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/each-countrys-share-co2-emissions

Note: these are from 2018. My point is its easy to use stats to justify a position.

I clearly said per capita and you are showing continents. Yes Australia is a continent but it is also just a single country of 25 million people.

I think you've somewhat missed the point being made. Australia produces the most emissions per capita of any western country in the world - more than the USA. They are also the largest coal exporter in the world - 33% of the global coal exports come from Oz. Coal being an enormous contributor to emissions but because that coal isn't burned in Australia it won't show on your chart for Australia.

So what is more important:

Output per capita or total emissions output.

Im in the latter camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Have we been using the same instruments to record the temperature the entire time?

• Advertisement

If you are in the latter then I'm sure you'll agree there's no need for us in Ireland to do a whole pile. We contribute a tiny negligible amount on a global scale - even if we all disappeared in the morning and emitted not one more gram of CO2 or Methane it would have precisely zero global impact. So we're either all in this together or we just site back and finger wag at the US and China?

Last I looked Ireland was part of the EU. Whats your view on the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Population of England in the 11th century approx 1.7m

Population of England today approx 56m

Just saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

What ever happened to Acid Rain? I remember being a child in the 80s scared shitless after watching tv and the endless warnings of the ozone layer and acid rain.

According to your chart the EU has a much smaller emissions contribution than the US, China, Russia, India etc. In any case what we do in Ireland is absolutely irrelevant on a global scale. I have not seen any concrete ideas of what we need to do here anyway from anyone. Just an awful lot of finger wagging and hand wringing. Our government's ideas appear to be little more than raising the Carbon tax annually.

• Advertisement

So on one hand your saying Ireland has half the CO2 emissions per capita of Australia, who is "biggest producers of emissions per capita".

Yet on the other hand, you state Ireland contributes a tiny negligible amount on a global scale. But Ireland, as part of the EU, on a per capita basis, we are the 3rd biggest offender in Europe.

So the point (that you say I am missing) is you are using per capita CO2 emissions to support a position that I am calling BS on. It's all about context and using per capita basis as a single measure to assert one country is worse than another is flawed without considering total contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The Earths climate has always been changing.

Those of you who post charts showing temperature anomaly for the last 100 years is so incredibly deceitful - zoom out and look at the trend over 100k or more years and you'll see the earths mean surface temperature goes through predictable cycles. We are nearing the peak of one right now (in relative terms).

There are real problems we need to address - but carbon emissions are not that problem. Plastic pollution, habitat loss, declining fish numbers and the death of insect pollinators - these are the big problems that genuinely put us at risk. Microplastics are found in every waterway, and in most animal feeds (and fish). You are no doubt consuming them right now, and will consume more and more as more plastic waste is made and dumped in waterways.

Overuse of fertilisers and pesticides kills bees, flies, and all other sorts of insects that are so important for food chains and pollination. If this keeps up we will struggle to pollinate plants and food shortages will not be long coming.

Soil qualities have never been worse due to intensive over farming practices.

Fish stocks are being decimated due to megatrawlers.

These are the issues you should be bringing up to your representatives, because these are the issues that put all of humanities future at risk. Carbon emissions are a red herring - to those worried about man made climate change warming the planet - look at past temperature records (100k+ year span). The earth has always gone through ice ages and warm spells, no amount of mankind activity will change that. Trying to reverse the earths cycles is like trying to push back the tide. Trying to adapt to the changing climate, and building resilient nature and ecosystems should be our goal, not strip mining to build electric cars or digging up acres of land to put down nothing but solar panels. Or building wind farms on bogs and causing fish kills from mudslides.

The other thing to be aware of is that the majority of earths carbon emissions are emitted by 10 corporations - so why not put pressure on them instead of joe soap the farmer with a herd of 100 cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Environmental High Priest Duncan Steward was on the pulpit today screaming that we need to stop driving cars

and tear up the motorways TODAY

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Looking forward to the preaching from Obama and his birthday party guests who flew in on private jets about what the little people need to give up to avert disaster.

until the big guys start showing that they are making sacrifices themselves most people will feel able to ignore this. I’m not expecting leadership to be shown on this issue from western political elites therefore we are fucked

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Regulation and enforcement in the US and Europe have lead to a significant drop in emissions of sulphur dioxide and oxides of nitrogen which cause acid rain. Unfortunately industrialisation in other countries has lead to an increase in those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So if the Greens are hated so much for being virtue signallers, who needs to push the changes required for climate change? FF or FG?

Maybe people who've never driven cars or buy new clothes or eat meat? They'd be called a cult of freaks.

Everyone is a hypocrite who wants change, just by being part of modern society, unfortunately.

You're mixing up continents, countries and economic blocks. Ireland issues a teeny tiny amount of of emissions in and of itself as well as per capita versus the likes of Australia. You seem to be very much missing the point though.

Look let's stick with total emissions. Ireland is responsible for less than a fraction of global emissions unless you want to lump us in and blame us for the emissions from Poland and the likes. What we do here makes absolutely zero difference. Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It will be up to centrist parties, because that's where people are. Very few people don't doubt climate change, but they won't trust extremists. It's the same with most things, people don't like partition but didn't support the IRA, they would like more equality but won't turn Communist.

Building consensus is a very important step, but the Greens can't do it, far too preachy. I am optimistic that Ireland is going in the right direction, the wind energy development off the west coast will be a great step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Why Arent we in strict lockdowns like covid if it’s that serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I'm sure if you read enough well phrased quotes you'll manage to find one that suited what your was anyway.

Well your previous post seemed to suggest that you don't believe that climate change exists:

"Irish weather has not changed in the last 100 years"

And now you're saying it might, but that there's no point in doing anything about it. That is the thing about climate change deniers; one moment they're saying it doesn't exist, and the next they're saying "oh well, what can we do about it anyway?".

The same reason people smoke... because the consequence isn't immediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Climate change is practically impossible to tackle.

If we do what's nesscessary to slash emissions it will lead to massive job losses and huge hardships on ordinary working class people.

Dairy farming and farming in general would suffer hugely

Manufacturing of cars phones planes ect would need to be drastically reduced leading to worldwide joblessness and recessions and extreme hardship.

It's an impossible proposition.

Very hard to see how it's going to be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Prime Time tonight going to be looking at how rising sea levels will impact life in Ireland, wonder will they question construction of a single house on the former Irish Glass site? I am guessing that will be off limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

For as long as there is no financial incentive to give electricity back to the grid by means of your private solar panels/windmills, the climate change agenda, carbon taxes etc. will always remain as the farce that it is.

One thing I've noticed on news reports and on articles online is that they never cease to say the line

"We are more certain than ever that climate change is caused by humans"

How much more certain do you have to be? Does it not go without saying at this stage?

It's like some kind of brainwash - say it enough times and people will start believing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Your wrong never did I say I was climate denier. My question is it happening faster then they think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You have no idea about scientific practice and terminology do you?

• Advertisement

I do in fact. And I read a good chunk of the IPCC report today. Never have I seen as much junk "science" in my life. A good laugh indeed.

It's like looking at an elephant right in front of you with a telescope. It also boggles the mind how they link it to human activity! 😫

Clearly a politically motivated trainwreck of a report. Pashchal O'Donohoe is drooling his way to the bank: "Carbon tax increases for the next 10 years" he says. All because of your hysteria, thanks a lot.

Advertisement