Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kippure climb

Options
  • 10-08-2021 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi guys. I saw someone cycling up the Kippure road when I was passing it by last week. I have never tried it myself but it looks like a nice challenge. Is the road surface ok for a standard road bike?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's a little bumpy in places but quite doable. main issue is to watch yourself on the way back down, some of the bends can be a bit sneaky. go slower than you think you need to, certainly the first time.

it averages about 7% for about 3km but the steepest bits are near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

its fine for a road bike, a few potholes and rough bits to avoid on the way down , its very easy to pick up speed (good brakes important) and be careful of any crosswinds descending as well

enjoy the view

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

Great thanks a million I'll give it a bash so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Going up is fine. Coming down is the issue. There's one spot in particular where the surface is awful on the left side, not far from the top. Very easy to pick up speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

First time I did it under cloud cover and didn’t know where the gate was. It nearly killed me and I climbed off for a breather. Chap behind passed me and pointed out I was about 100m from the top. d’oh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Mr T.

Cycled few times, a few years ago, when I was living in Dublin. Sometimes with good weather, sometimes with unbearable wind, but enjoyed every time.

Unless the surface changed in the past 4 years, you can have a look at this video from minute 25 to minute 46 :)

Youtube /watch?v=vppFLlg5tuw

Sorry, unable to post links

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

I prefer the climb as opposed to the descent. You need to be very cautious going down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The surface is grand really, just gravelly. There isn't enough traffic to clear the grit and stones which makes for a bit of a poxy descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was up it 2 weeks back for the first ime this year, road condition near the top is definitely worse than i remember it. But yeah, only really an issue descending

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

Cheers I'll take it handy descending. It should make for a nice overall climb from here in Bray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You also need to watch out for walkers, as they can spread out over the road, and not think about cyclists coming downhill at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

This segment was posted in the last Kippure thread, guaranteed top 20 😉

Bray Harbour to Kippure Mast

Advertisement