Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano 11 speed compatability with 10 speed

Options
  • 10-08-2021 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

Think I know the answer to this question but better to double check and be sure. Father in law has an older canyon, needs to chnage the crankset to something better for climbing for the sake of his knees, so moving from a 53/39 to a 50/34. Bike is 10 speed but with components the way they are at the moment it's next to impossible to get an older 10 speed one.

Will a shimano 105 11 speed crankset work with an older dura ace 10 speed set up? Changing chain rings isn't an option unfortunately, BCD is too big. Already on a 30 on the back too. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a vague memory that the inner dimensions of an 11 speed chain are the same as the inner dimensions of a 10 speed one - so chainsets should be forwards and backwards compatible? someone else might be able to confirm if i'm talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yes it will work fine I have the same set up on a training bike I use regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Another confirmation, works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've no technical knowledge, but my 10 speed Topstone came with the exact same (FSA) crankset* as the 11 speed 105 version!

*it actually influenced my choice, as that meant there was even smaller weight difference between tiagra and 105 than there usually is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers folks, was nearly 100% sure it would but just wanted that extra assurance. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've done it loads with Sram and Shimano

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Last time I saw him he had no problem flying up hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

Assuming he’s on a 12/30 10sp cassette he may find himself spinning out going downhill.

if you have issues and wish to experiment I could offer a 52/39/30 170mm dura ace 7803 crankset for a good price, some life left in it. I won’t be using it anytime soon. Front derailleurs are available on eBay, triple shifters less so.

an option to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers WOT, I had an 11 speed compact crank in the shed so that's one of the reasons we were just double checking. He's not too worried about spinning out really, he's recently been diagnosed with arthritis in his knees, hes been told to keep cycling to keep himself active but we just wanted to give him some more gears for climbing, he lives round mount leinster so not many flat roads around.

@Mojomaker, I think that's whats making it hard for him to get going again, he was flying back then, been a slow road back to even getting on the bike.

• Advertisement

Just as this thread has planted a seed - could this crankset be ok with 9 speed? How far back does the backward compatible go? Have a few 9 speed bits for the project bike...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from what i can see, 9, 10 and 11 speed all have an internal width of 3/32", so i guess in theory, a 10 speed chain can be used on a 9 speed setup, and 9/10/11 speed cranksets would all be compatible with those chains (unless the inner and outer chainring sit too close together for a wider 9 speed chain to sit happily)?

Cheers, the project bike is a long way from being that ready yet, but will give it a bash when the time comes!

Advertisement