Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst things you can say on your internet dating profile

Options
  • 07-08-2021 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭

I have (however many kids) who are my world.

Ok first off you are letting me know I will be second best in the relationship (fair enough but its hardly a turn on) and secondly it suggests to me that you are a very boring person who just hangs out with your kids all the time and have no other hobbies or interests. Also I already guessed that you would like your own kids so why announce it to the world and I have seen it on countless profiles so it also suggest you can't think for yourself and have no mind of your own so just copy what other people say.

what are your no no's on a dating profile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

ENFJ/ INFJ.

I do not have the time to Google what that means, thanks.

Photos featuring the bird wearing a face mask. Why would you feel such a need to broadcast that you're a bootlicking Covid bore?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

Strong independent woman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Yeah the single parents who say "my kids are my number 1 priority and that will never change so jog on if that's a problem". I mean, why the aggression? Who in their right mind would ask you to prioritise them over your kids?

A new one I've noticed cropping up is "looking for someone to call me out on my BS". This instantly tells me you're a melt so I instantly swipe left. If you're self-aware enough to know you have moments of petulance, you should be mature enough to self-regulate it.

Because it would keep the Covid denying gowls like your good self away, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

Looking for company, yet I’m married/in a relationship and it’s complicated……..ok so let’s make it more complicated so.

This is becoming more the norm now in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

"I don't want kids", I seem to be alone in not wanting kids.

People who say "Not into drama!" are likely to be the most dramatic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

"Genuine and sincere"

Ignoring the fact it's quite boring, if screams to me that the person is not genuine and sincere or has inferiority issues merely by the fact they have to state it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

I think this is a good message to get out on your profile. No awkward conversation down the line. I would prefer to read at first glance what a guys thoughts are on having kids,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

This sort of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

"I don't live with my mother, she lives with me!"

Is living with your parents in your mid 30's any worse than living in a dump of a house share at the same age?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Those aggressive ones are baffling, if they cant even hold it in until you meet them, what would they be like after a few months? at least it warns people to stay away.

I saw one lately where a woman had a list of things she was interested in, gym, gigs, netflix, hiking, nights out, money, family, music, all rolled into one happy bubble.

I spotted the money and thought gold digger, like we all like money but there was something I didn't like about it being written on a dating profile. I came across the profile a week or 2 later and she had taken money out of it, left all the rest hmmmm

"Love to be wined and dined"

And could you actually get more unintentionally ironic than misspelling "Intelligent" as "Intelliengent"

ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

"My hobbies include Brunch and..."

IT'S A F*****G MEAL NOT A HOBBY. Cooking/Baking is a hobby, eating brunch foods is not a hobby just a favourite mealtime. I like biscuits BUT IT'S NOT A HOBBY.

Anyway, that is just a huge red flag to me. I can see all the boring nights watching love island, trash Netflix true-crime series ahead of me. A dry soul who rarely steps out of their comfort zone, let alone tries something completely left field and is quick to judge anything out of the norm. Because really, they're too pathetic and weak-minded to do anything that may make them stand out or seem "weird". And only pick up new interests when the masses have decided it's "in" or "acceptable".

The above is just one huge generalisation, and possibly very far from the truth. But it's the sense I get off certain profiles.

Anyone who mentions they like Gin on their profile or have pictures of them drinking it on their profile. Funny how they never liked it until a couple of years ago, when everyone else started drinking it.

I saw someone who liked making soap and watching serial killer documentaires listed among their other normal hobbies

Straight talking is another one, a.k.a a Bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It’s not just the boards platform that’s gone to **** judging by this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The one I keep hearing about is....

"if you cant handle me at my worst then you dont deserve me at my best"

What does that even mean? It sounds like code for I'm an arsehole. But guess where the quote comes from? Marylin Monroe. So no wonder people like to use it. Probably think it makes them sound awesome.

Wanna know something funny tho? It's believed Monroe never said it. Only came about years after she died and then became a meme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 22meehoovereinenschaft22

looks don't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

I like coffee and travelling* zzz.

As a woman, the one that annoys me is a picture with a baby and the bio says "The baby isn't mine." Posting pictures of kids they met travelling/volunteering is also bad taste imo. They aren't your children and shouldn't be on a dating site /app.

When I used tinder a few years ago, the swipe left trifecta was a picture at Machu pichu*, one with with Conor Mcgregor and one with a random child.

*I've travelled loads by the way but its so over-rated especially as most people travel on a well beaten tourist track

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Plenty of people wouldn't want to bother with someone who has a kid or children. That is why they say up front that it isn't theirs.

Hiking. Now I know where the phrase 'go take a hike' comes from.

Dating someone with children is going to a dealbreaker for quite a few so people mention it in their profile so to avoid that awkward moment where they're getting on great and then the topic comes up and the other person has to do a Homer Simpson backing into the hedge.

It is not a deal breaker for me but I did speak to one guy before who had three children and the whole conversation was him basically interviewing me about being a suitable step mam for his kids. He kept asking 'what do you want from this?' and I only started talking two minutes!! Twice I kindly told him to slow it down. Once I tried to change the subject, asked him his favorite movie and he responded by just naming the film and then asking me some question (can't remember exactly) the equivalent of 'where do you see yourself in 5 years time?' - 'not with you anyway.' I didn't actually say that but i didn't respond to him after that.

someone posing in front of a mirror showing off their six pack or body in tight gym gear, so vain, big turn off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't contact any women with lists of things they don't want, it's very offputting and negative. No this no that you must be this or that. Hardly attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Met my husband on a dating site a long time ago no need to complicate things.

Female: only interested in a committed relationship leading to marriage

Male: only interested in meeting someone for sex

On the other hand, they are honest! which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I did see a woman with a profile that went along the lines of only interesting in meeting a man in his 30s who has no children never been married has a third-level education and is over 6f tall.

Again it's honest why not be honest even if it puts some individuals off.

• Advertisement

'just ask' ...I don't know why this annoys me..I think I feel like it brings the image that he thinks the girl is sitting there biting her nails or racing back and forth the room saying to herself 'ooh what will I ask him? Should I ask him a question? No would it be too forward? Oh I just don't know' and she's got this big dilemma going which I guarantee you..she does not.

Advertisement