Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The North Water [BBC 2/AMC]

• 04-08-2021 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

"The North Water tells the story of Patrick Sumner, a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as ship's doctor on a whaling expedition to the Arctic. On board he meets Henry Drax, the harpooner, a brutish killer whose amorality has been shaped to fit the harshness of his world. Hoping to escape the horrors of his past, Sumner finds himself on an ill-fated journey with a murderous psychopath. In search of redemption, his story becomes a harsh struggle for survival in the Arctic wasteland."

BBC Two/AMC+ five-part television serial, based on Ian McGuire's novel of the same name. The series premiered on AMC+ on July 15, 2021.

Cast looks strong:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Any BBC 2 air date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

According to The North Water’s Twitter page, the upcoming series will arrive on BBC Two this autumn, however a specific release date has not yet been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

its excellent Colin will win an award . hes a proper c nt in it , wears a fat suit 5eps in and it is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

A decent show, arguably the best perforce ever from Farrell. Not a big fan of his but credit where its due he was outstanding in it. A nasty piece of work lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Loved this, Colin Farrell is completely unrecogniseable and is excellent in his role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It starts on BBC2 on Friday 10th September at 9.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

If you think hes nasty in this you should read the book. Just finished the book last week and watched the first episode, I think they have had to tone down Farrells character for TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

Anything with Stephen Graham in it always piques my interest. Superb actor.

Watched the first 2 episodes. Moves along nicely, quickly painting a picture of the brutality of man against animals, building up wind in its sails in terms of ominous signs of impending brutality of man against man. (The score is a little unnecessarily heavy though; we get the picture). Great performances all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just Finished! Damn that was a vicious show! Raw and brutish from start to end.

Definite credit to Colin Farrell for his performance as Henry Drax. Farrell has played a range of characters in the past but this was a different beast!

Peter Mullan had a shorter role later in the show and for what it included, I thought he did well too.

No harm giving a nod to writer, director and producer Andrew Haigh who I assume had a lot to do with the putting together and presentation. I doubt BBC/AMC would've had a huge budget to put in but he did well with what he had.

For the story, I had

the Cabin Boy killer narrowed down to Sumner (possibly while under the influence), Drax, Cavendish, McKendrick and Brownlee at first. For some reason I couldn't shake the thought that there was going to be some twist that Drax hadn't done it but couldn't himself commuincate it... well that was wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Great show with some excellent performances and it looks stunning. Best turn I've seen from Colin Farrell in quite a while, have to admire the physical transformation as well and committment to the role. Contrary to what someone said above he was not wearing a fat suit, he did gain the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Credit was given for the acting, not the weight gain; mentioning the gaining of such weight was just a recognition of the commitment to the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Robert De Niro did the same thing for Raging Bull(gained 60lbs).

Finished it this morning. Lots of hard-hitting themes, especially the theist, polytheist and atheist takes on life; in particular that of greed and redemption, and the comparison of man to animals. It had a classic noir feel to it; the sense of inevitable tragedy played out slowly and simply. Brutal, yet satisfying. Kinda like The Revenant, only with sea shanties and skulduggery.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've watched 3 episodes so far and I'm enjoying it a lot. Jack O'Connell and Colin Farrell's performances have been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Absolutely superb and I'm only two episodes down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Third episode was a slight dip in quality ,two more episodes seems a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Fair dues to Colin Farrell for gaining all that weight - just for the part I hope. I didn't recognise him for a while with the hair and that west country accent. Superbly shot series showing the brutality of the whale trade with human skullduggery in the background. This and 'The White Lotus ' are the best I've seen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

One of my favourites this year. Visually arresting in a grimdark style, Farrell steals the show. No disrespect to O'Connell or Graham but Farrell's character gets all the memorable moments.

Did anyone else think the men singing at the end of particular episodes was superb? I didn't skip any of the end credits where they sang. Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement

If you liked the sea shanties, there's always "Blow the Man Down".😊

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

RTE2 showing this tonight at 10.30pm for anyone who may have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Caught it on the Beeb. Worth a watch.

Farrell is excellent, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just watched the whole lot tonight after the brother recommended it. Very strong performances all around, with Farrell stealing the show of course. But I found myself asking why. I didn't see a point to the show, just felt like it was happening. Maybe I missed something at the start, but I felt compelled to finish it just to see what it was about, as it did start to ramp up in Episode 3, but then I felt it fell flat towards the end with some nonsensical bits, and the last scene is beyond me. I just don't get these hidden meaning shows. Still, an entertaining enough watch all the same.

But I recommend to find it somewhere other than the RTE player. It worked fine via my LG, but for every episode there were 13-18 ads, split into 3 before, and 2 or 3 bouts of 5 ads about every 20 min (and the extra "ad" at the end of each set of ads telling me that the content may be unsuitable.....). Completely ruins the experience, and I had forgotten how bad watching shows with ads in them were. Hold out for it being on a proper streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

Not available for everyone depending on location or using a VPN but BBC iplayer is phenomenal. Great quality and no ads.

Advertisement