Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Congrats on both of your babies TF.

The panic of quick onset Labour is gas though, thought my missus had wet herself the way she ran the the toilet on our first, just turns out he was 5 weeks early.

Enjoy your time with him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Congrats TF, life will never be the same! All the best to Mrs. TF as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

See if you can spot your watch here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch/posts/3220368

@Time - btw it's a prototype strap - I'm putting it through its paces to see if it will withstand someone wearing it sloppily and if so, be able to offer it publicly. It's something I'd want to offer as an add-on option for the Equinox seeing that divers and leather straps generally don't mix but I do want to support Turas as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Thirdfox wrote: »
    @Time - btw it's a prototype strap - I'm putting it through its paces to see if it will withstand someone wearing it sloppily and if so, be able to offer it publicly. It's something I'd want to offer as an add-on option for the Equinox seeing that divers and leather straps generally don't mix but I do want to support Turas as much as possible.

If it works out please let me buy one for the Starlight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭griffin100

Starlight finally arrived yesterday, posted to me just before baby fox arrived :)

Absolutely delighted with it. The dial under sunlight is amazing, but is still subtle enough under indoor light that it doesn't look like a glitter ball.

The strap is extremely conformable and the watch size and weight are perfect for me. In fact my wife has taken a real liking to it due it's nice size.

I'm not a fan of date windows usually and if buying now would probably order a unit without one, but it's extremely legible even for a old man like me with poor eyesight so I actually like it.

Overall very satisfied with the watch. TF you should be proud of what you have achieved.

Happy Father's Day (and potential Fathers to be :) ) I guess Eoghan just wanted to make sure he arrived in time for the celebration (he was due on the 23rd).

kj9jREAh.jpg

T6oMikuh.jpg

OW7SBduh.jpg

kY7p2Kxh.jpg

ptZWcKrh.jpg

For the day that's in it, I'm actually not wearing my Starlight today - but rather my last gift that I received from my Father as I passed into adulthood:
    hbgHeR1h.jpg

The factory came back with the Equinox redesign since we moved to the SW-300 - we're keeping the 11.4mm height but can now offer 200m wr. That should close off any concerns people may have about a dive watch with "only" 100m wr (and thus cannot be put under a running tap due to dynamic water pressures forcing water molecules past seals… :pac:)

Still going to release a 1m+ wr dive watch some day I reckon :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQl4X0NrhH8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Link to our official announcement of the SW-300 in the Equinox - I didn't know that Hublot and Zenith also used the movement in their watches until today, some fine company to be joining :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CQl4X0NrhH8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Link to our official announcement of the SW-300 in the Equinox - I didn't know that Hublot and Zenith also used the movement in their watches until today, some fine company to be joining :)

Just read the announcement via my alternate insta.
    Some interesting replies from you re: the rotor too ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the change in movement and access to a 3d printer has done for your prototyping and creativity.
    I have a sneaking suspicion this one is going to be astonishing!

Ha - you may see a batch of genuine Sellita rotors going up on adverts soon enough :P (I did make sure that they were going to give me the extra rotors after we install our own onto it).

If I could give a teaser - I would say think Blancpain special rotor - but steeped in Irish cultural significance. As the design isn't yet fully confirmed in terms of engineering design I won't announce it just yet. But yes - at the price - the expectation would be that "everything" about the watch will be of the highest level (below hand finishing) (while still 1/3 to 1/4 the price of an Omega - at retail - for KS it may be as low as 1/6th the price of an Omega) and frankly (other than the co-axial movement) - I want to be at least equaling Omega in terms of finishing and design (if not beating them).

Fun news - my CO2 fire extinguisher arrived today - MsThirdfox was not going to allow me to start alcohol fires in the house without one on standby :pac:

Happy Friday everyone - I always think it's more important to see what a brand does when (not if) things go wrong as 100% perfection is impossible.

A customer found a piece of lint on the dial that escaped my eye (see second photo). On sending it back to me at my warehouse I:

1. Identified the lint,

2. Extracted the object (it seems almost like a piece of rubber rather than lint) - see the black dot on the q-tip,

3. Recased the watch,

4. Re-regulated the movement (0s/d is lovely but to be honest that is by luck rather than what one can expect from a movement at this price point),

5. And performed a water resistance check.

A large brand with service centres may have taken a few weeks to get this looked at (instead of my 3 days) - Bulgari had me waiting 6 months(!!!) for a turn around and wouldn't even tack on additional warranty time after eating into my 2 year warranty :/ ), a Chinese factory might not ever go into as much care and detail...so I think microbrands like Sólás definitely have an easy to understand appeal to watch enthusiasts - arguably service far faster than large brands, and more care and attention than factory brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭This is it

Any updates on the new watch TF? Afraid of missing it with the new boards layout 😁

Funny you mention that - there's progress being made on the tungsten clasp - I got a photo of the raw unpolished clasps today - I'll share it publicly once we're finished processing the clasps and bracelets.

The SW300s are delivered too so it's a matter of getting the other components made and ready for assembly.

The Equinox will have the world's first tungsten diver clasp (with microextensions) ever - one of the firsts we're happy to bring to people.

A testbed repeater model was purchased recently - something I can use to test concepts on the aural level over the next few years while not breaking the bank in terms of cost. Once that arrives and tests out I'll be sure to send some photos/videos of what a repeater sounds like and why it fascinates me as a complication (and how you can buy an "affordable" repeater watch right now if you're willing to make some compromises).

First attempt at home bluing in the workshop - fire extinguisher was not needed thankfully!

Top image shows the colour range the steel goes through (steel, yellowed, purpled, blued, light blue) - practising on nails is a lot cheaper than polished hands obviously but I'm pretty happy with how the first attempt went.

Something I'm practising for model 3 - Eclipse 😊 and "onshoring to Ireland" as well as bringing up my own watchmaking skills.

• Advertisement

Methinks come model 3 (chickens before they hatch I know) - I will offer custom colour hands for customers - because in my eyes red/yellow steel and purple steel are more interesting to the eye than traditional blue.

Above is a dslr photo with bounced flash - should give a more accurate representation of true colours.

Don't mind the slightly uneven colours - proper polished hands would be cleaned to an inch of their lives vs a box of practice nails 😁

Just curious how do you do this? As blacksmiths we use the colours to vary the hardness of tools, eg. chisels. Usually the hardest and sharpest chisels are used for woodturning and a more softer but durable chisel for metal work. Peacock is for the wood tools, then bronze, dark straw and light straw for the metal working chisel. We can see the colours moving along the iron as it cools and quench it usually in oil when the desired colour is reached.

I'm guessing you are doing it chemically? Something similar to how gun barrels are blued. In the early 19C fine iron jewellery was made in Germany and blued , but a lot of the knowledge about how they did it has been lost.

Chapter 2 of this book explains it better than I can. https://books.google.ie/books?id=3Vzrz_A70eAC&pg=PT6&lpg=PT6&dq=blacksmithing+chasing+the+colours&source=bl&ots=U_O6ozgt1l&sig=ACfU3U2VSCcrbbUFDVqSx4Fd_xxgBWz30w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwja9-SP3J7yAhX9RBUIHbVVDDoQ6AF6BAgJEAM#v=onepage&q=blacksmithing%20chasing%20the%20colours&f=false

Quick wiki look at iron jewellery https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_iron_jewellery

Finally, would you be interested in trying to incorporate some Irish smelted iron in a watch some way, perhaps part of a rotor. I have a few kg made from Irish bog ore. One of my other little hobbies😲. It's similar to wrought iron, not stainless steel! We sent a bit of ore to Japan last year for them to try in their traditional knife making craft.

Hey Blue - no chemicals involved at all (except for white spirits to clean the steel) and the alcohol for the flame itself.

Link above has the video of how it's done - apparently the thicker nails wiIrish l be a lot easier to do than thin hands which require a lot more finesse.

Alcohol lamps can burn up to 400+ degrees and thermal blue is reached at 320 roughly (I was looking at an oven and proper temp controlled ones can run into thousands) - the blowtorch method would probably by shot down by MsThirdfox so the traditional alcohol stove method works out best in these circumstances.

The brass shavings help distribute the heat evenly - otherwise you'll get splotches on the steel.

It was funny - most of the steel screws/nails in Woodies would be zinc plated and thus be unable to be blued - practically zinc/nickel plating would be "better" for rust proofing steel - but horology isn't always logical - and traditional bluing/yellowing/purpling definitely has an appeal.

Just in terms of what you're describing with the iron - is that annealing rather than tempering i.e. the opposite of what we're doing here (just going by the colours you mention which is the reverse of what I see as I temper the steel - straw yellow, bronze, peacock, blue, light blue, grey).

On Irish iron that sounds really cool - let me get in touch about that 😊

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Funny, yesterday I came across this - you can do it with electrical currents, too.

Ha I can imagine what MsThirdfox will say if I apply to start playing with electricity as well as fire…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

So "trust me, it'll be grand" line doesn't work!? Strange times we're living in.

Anyways, I really enjoyed reading the thread and seeing how your dream developed. Cheers.

I don't wear watches myself, but I know a few people that are looking for a different watch and loved what they saw on your site.

Finally, do you deliver to Australia?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Nah, what ThirdFox has to say is, "Honey, watch this!" 😁

I've used the "trust me" card in getting approval to build the Starlight in the first place (when I should just be a good little lawyer and stick to legal contracts 😁)

I did float electricity to MsThirdfox and she reckons that's safer than 400 degree fires.

Yup we do deliver to Australia - in fact have 4 customers from there already.

😊😁

Well as an engineer the potential difference through an alcohol fire will make it safer...although I'm not a very good engineer!

From talking to my brother, who works in Hong Kong alot, they're very interested in irish culture. They seem to like something different.

An order will be coming your way anyway.

Huh - the new website doesn't allow me to mouse over to the "send private message" 🙄 - the popup disappears as I go from your username to get to send private message.

Could you send me an email to info@solaswatches.com instead? My factory in China said they definitely can do something with this iron (after all meteorite dials are basically iron dials too).

Irish iron won't be the only cool/unique dial material we may be able to make - I've actually got some rocket booster material from China (historic family connections in the rocket business) - so that would make for some cool dials/cases too, just need to decide exactly what I want to do with it.

If you want to send a PM to someone with a private profile, go to https://www.boards.ie/messages/add and type the recipient's username, like so.

Wouldn't do that at the moment. Contact solas directly I'd say.

You're not wrong, there, gameoverdude. 😒

• Advertisement

Sent you a quick photo on instagram there now, will give you more info in the morning, meantime you can do a google search of Woodford furnace festival to find out more.

@Thirdfox a bit of levity on this thread, even more so. What song would you put to your watch?

Hoppípolla by Sigur Ros. 😎

Ha - well so that you mention it - someone actually did make a music video to go with the Starlight:

"Levitating" by Dua Lipa - a good choice since Starlight actually gets name dropped in the lyrics - and from my time on Instagram I know it's a pretty popular meme song 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Game time 🇳🇬

The underside of a SW300 rotor - after examining and getting precise measurements we'll be making the custom rotor for the Equinox to replace this plain Sellita one. Think "green and gold" - but tasteful green and gold 😅

Something that's due to come to me from the UK in the next while (had sent it back to get it officially engraved as testbed model 00) - you can see that it's definitely a chunky piece (not technically a wristwatch) - but I'm hoping to learn some things from it as I work on the rest of Lir in the background ☺

A micro-update - with a few more sales I've actually moved the Starlight out of pre-order and into full cost retail sales now - reason being my current stock is actually getting very low (I'm already sold out of the date models).

All that funding will be very useful as more Equinox bills from R&D fall due on completion of the case/bracelet - generally case/bracelet moulding is paid 100% in advance, but due to the novelty of what we're trying to do with the bracelet and clasp (some suppliers flat out said it wasn't do-able) I only needed to pay 50% with the rest on successful prototyping.

As the months roll by - Equinox is getting close to its public unveiling now - expected in October(ish) 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Calculator123

Is Tommy Meskill on RTE 9 o'clock News sporting a Starlight this evening?

Post edited by Calculator123 on

Certainly looks like it 1st glance.

@Thirdfox hope all is well you and the family, that ye are settling into new rhythm's of life with a baby.

Still smile whenever I wear my Sólàs and I'm very much looking forward to the next one. In fact it's the only watch I'm currently 100% certain I'm buying 😂

@banie01 All's well in the Fox family - I'm learning all about the joys of "tummy time" and sleep deprivation management.

Something that I'm currently looking into (maybe for model 4) - Irish "mined" (from the bog), and smelted iron - from one of our long time posters here on boards too... I think if we can get enough of it made - while a steel dial might not be traditionally something that is often seen as a dial material - having this as an Irish forged material and built into a watch could be very interesting... we still have a long way to go but their furnace makes my little alcohol stove look like a toy 😁

Currently you can see the pieces are a bit too small to be cut into dials - I'm looking at commissioning a large piece to be made - closer to when model 4's R&D begins (which isn't too far away actually - model 3's R&D is ongoing while model 2's is in the physical prototyping stage) - got an updated rotor design - we're not quite there yet but getting close now.

All silver retail Starlights sold out :) - that's a little bit of extra Equinox marketing spend warchest now. I hope it's heartening for KS backers to see that our RRP isn't some kind of DFS "imaginary" figure - but something that regular consumers paid too, should be helpful when it comes to convincing people that the next/last KS campaign for the Equinox is set at a genuine "discount" too and that I'm quite serious about the actual RRP of circa €1299 (that's a VAT inclusive price).

Oh and a photo that wouldn't be out of place from those pseudo "leaks" that tech companies actually use as marketing - I have asked the factory to try and provide a clearer photo soon :D -

The bracelet was custom made to my design - well there aren't many off the shelf tungsten bracelets out there in any case... but Sólás is a five character word - the bracelet is a five link design... the name of the brand will be somewhat integrated into the design of the bracelet too - just like our Sólás Cónocht ogham text in the bezel - subtle design cues in the bracelet too referencing Sólás that wouldn't necessarily make sense for other brands.

Can't wait to show off the actual finished product in the next two months or so (in the Instagram post above the second photo shows the polished tungsten links - they still need to undergo final cleaning.

Post edited by Thirdfox on

A long time since an update but as we're getting closer to the public reveal of the finished review units here is hopefully an interesting smorgasbord of info on the Equinox:

1. Dive bezel:

Here is the dive bezel - You can see that green and black are the signature colours of the Equinox. One thing that marks out the Equinox as something I want real divers to use are the two no deco markers on the bezel - one for 18m (PADI open water dive limit) and another for 30m (PADI advanced open water dive limit) - just in case of a dive computer failure novice divers will be reminded of the maximum dive time allowed (if it's their first time that day). The key details (no deco indicators and dive pip) are in C3 X1 lume whereas the rest is in BGW9 since C3 lasts the longest (and X1 is superior to the grade A BGW9).

2. Bracelet:

Slightly less grainy photos now available:

You can see that tungsten has a deeper colour than stainless steel - and with tungsten it will keep that high polish finish much, much longer than steel. I can't wait to see the final product - you can see the edge links are bevelled too - those bevels cost a pretty penny but gives the bracelet an extra nice bit of higher quality finishing... bevelling tungsten isn't as easy as bevelling steel.

3. Ogham

A simple design graph of how the ogham for Sólás Cónocht will look as the teeth on the bezel - it's interesting I think that because of the use of the ogham you will only see teeth on the topside of the bezel from the 12h to 3h and 6h to 7h areas.

4.Rotor

A 3d render of the custom rotor - it will be in a dark green (similar to the bezel) with gold highlights for the Sólás logo. This rotor's unit cost costs more than a Seiko NH35 movement (nevermind the thousands for base R&D) so people might be interested in getting an idea of what everything costs within the Equinox. The triquetra fractal (each arm of the triquetra is a triquetra in itself) is something I'm quite proud about designing - hopefully the cost of this pays off 😁

5. Pieta

Here's the custom caseback on the "one of a kind" Pieta unit that will be raffled off:

Ó dhorchadas go solas - while 2.5k was raised for Alone (for a 500-ish watch) - hopefully more can be raised for this 1000ish watch in the Equinox - though I do realise that amount raised is probably more dependant on the charity chosen than the value of the prize itself. Having had more time to speak to Pieta it means I can add their logo to the Equinox too at least for the caseback.

Equinox's public reveal should come in at end of October/beginning November - then comes the harder job of getting some of the larger watch publications to agree to cover it. There's an expanded budget for marketing this time round as it's quite a bit different trying to raise money for a 300 euro KS watch compared to an 800-900 euro (price to be confirmed) one.

I'd like to think that people can see the bargain that this is for all the design...and then in tungsten not steel :D

More reveals to come - still some special ones to show off ;)

Ahhhm...

Edited to add:

I may well put an omega purchase on hold for this one 😉 unless I can convince the Mrs I absolutely need a GMT diver. I could say that you've definitely saved me money @Thirdfox 😉 but if I do? I'll probably have to spend it on her 😂

Post edited by banie01 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

That bezel looks slick.

Ha the brownie poins could be significant if it's difference in price between an Omega and a Sólas. Hopefully enough people will be interested in something genuinely quite different in the diver category but the job has been made tougher in getting it produced as MOQ has risen to 500 rather than 300 with the requirement of getting a SW300 movement, tungsten cases etc. Hence an increase in marketing budget (which takes away funding from adding say an extra bevel on the case/bracelet or actual watch features) - you can build the best watch in the world, but if no-one knows about it they can't buy it either so I can understand how there are rumours/speculation that Rolex is spending 50% of costs on marketing - sure everyone knows about Rolex now but it can be a quick move from being ubiquitously known to entering the cobwebs of collective memory...

The top or the side?

If you look carefully you can see that for the bezel I've actually chosen to have a beadblasted finish applied rather than high polish - I think that gives it 1. better tactility/grip for actual use and 2. it matches closer to the "ogham stonework" effect I'm aiming for.

Oh and if you look at the transition from black to green on the top of the bezel - you can see there is a subtle S built into the design - lots of fun design cues to notice in this watch and all tried to done in a coherent/cohesive manner.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Still haven't managed to out the starlight on yet even though received it a long time ago. Its a present for my daughter's 18th which is the very start of November, so not long to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I have to say when you said you were going with a dive watch for your next project i thought you were a bit mad, given its the most saturated market segment, but i think you're onto another winner here. I absolutely love that the transition from Green to Black and back again isn't just a boring perpendicular line, it really makes the bezel stand out. The small Orange accents are a nice touch too, even though i've no idea how they're supposed to work (you might fill me in on that one)

The orange markers are the NDC limits for PADI diving.

The marker at 20 indicates that you can do 20 minutes at 30 metres without a decompression stop.

The marker at 55 indicates you can do 55 minutes at 18mtrs without a decompression stop.

You set the pip to your start time, and you can quickly see time remaining at either depth. A really handy indicator tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement