Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eir Alternative?

• 28-07-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

My eir subscription is going up by €6/month from September, to about €76 for slow broadband + calls + some TV channels. eirsport is getting poorer and poorer - no BTsport anymore, no eirsport2 etc.

Is there a better (cheaper) alternative? We don't have fibre available, they do 100 yards down the road :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Vodafone TV may be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Vodafone are doing a tv plus BB and phone package for €45 per month. I'm going to change over to them myself today. Will save approx €15 per month.

Every little helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Also Vodafone will give you that price even after your first year if you phone up and ask them for it.

No more having to switch between providers every year to get decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Looking to move as well. They renamed two of the channels, no big deal I thought until I went to rewatch some of the UFC events I had recorded and they don't work anymore because the channel doesn't exist.

Do any of them do a broadband only deal or do they force you to take the phone / tv too?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

i has Eir landline and broadband. Do VF keep the landline facility and allow me to keep my landline number???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭georgem25

If I cancel Eir is it effective immediately or 30 days notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

€76 euro? You call call Eir and they will keep you in the current price €39.99 if they wont take away the €6 extra, just get someone else in your household to sign up new and get another Apple TV for yourself!

Sometimes better than devil you know…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That always puzzled me. If the line is disconnected by you leaving and the other person signs up. Is that a new connection and are their any additional fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Try leave it a day or two between the contracts. Also helps if you have different surnames!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If you have/can get a satellite dish, getting Freesat would save on TV costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

I rang up customer service about this and was told there is still a 30 days notice period from when you received the email about the price increase. There is no mention of this in the email though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The notice period they give you is 30 days to decide to stay or leave. If you don't engage with them after 30 days they assume you've accepted the increase and your contract continues.

You don't have to provide them with 30 days notice, as in if you are porting to another provider(like I am) you just provide your UAN number and OpenEir handle it between the providers. Of course so long as you complete the move before the date on the price increase email of course.

I called up and asked this question so frankly if Eir had an issue with that then I'd just refer them to listen back to their own recorded calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Rang up about this price increase and they gave me €5 off my bill for 12 months so kind of goes against increase!

Always worth ringing Eir loyalty as always find they have very good deals to keep you happy, I have managed to have Prime Video free for what will be nearly 3 years by time contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Eir informed me that either the port needs to be completed (not requested) by 6 August, or I have to cancel before 06 August by calling.

And if I call to cancel than my broadband would end on 6 August.

Clearly, it's different people different answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

The customer service guy told me I could submit my cancellation today but I would still have a service and be charged up to Aug 27th (30 days from when I received the price increase email).

There was nonsense I posted here, but I can't delete the post.

Post edited by Yggr of Asgard on

• Advertisement

Yes it seems that people say different things to different people. They're sales people after all, metrics based on who they retain after all.

I was told I can cancel immediately but I'd lose connection at some random time they eventually get out to cut me off at the cabinet and I lose my landline number. Tactics basically.

I will call back up to fully cancel once I can see the new ISP connected on a speedtest as I've a pretty useless Apple TV box to return. If the remote was bette then maybe it might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

€5 off but its a €6 increase so they're still wrangling more out of you but presumably for no extra service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It took me almost 120days to cancel eir.

Bloody nightmare.

Service was grand, but trying to switch supplier.. they just make it awkward with their incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

I will take a €1 increase over a €6 increase any day, services normally have to go up at some stage and everytime I renew my price seems to lower through negotiation so no complaints!

Eir have a bad rep but I can't fault them too much. Provide everything I want and at much lower cost than the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Tried to move to vodafone, was meant to have it installed 2 weeks ago, got moved to the 12th of August, guess I'll just have to stick with Eir for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

My Vodafone order was confirmed but somehow the order did not progress for days while showing that all is fine.

Called them and had a super-helpful agent who made a couple of inquiries and then delivered the unwelcome news, that somehow the port request got rejected from eir but in a way that made the order get stuck (that is the story they say).

They tried their best to get it sorted but, in the end, they had to cancel it because nothing they tried worked.

Placed a new order online as suggested which immediately got told that a new date is in 3 weeks, then out of nowhere within a few minutes the date moved to next week.

Then I got a call from the CSR I spoke too earlier, who informed me that he kept an eye on my ordering and after the usual data protection questions, he confirmed that they had consulted with their backend team to get my date moved to earlier and that the modem will ship today.

And modem just got picked, I told him that I now would not have an active line anymore next week, but he confirmed that this is not a problem as they backline team was aware of this, and I am not the only one in this position.

So, a few days without fixed line broadband but I have a backup 4G router for that reason.

That CSR was outstanding, let's hope now that the installation is indeed next week as scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

I took the €5 off as only 4 months left and couldn't sign another 12 months contract with them anyway. Don't have many other options anyway - just eir, vodafone or sky so will wait till January and try get the same offer for the same money or will go with Vodafone again.

For myself, VF(KN Circet) arrived today and switched the cabinet before he got to me. I logged into Eir after an hour and it said "Account no longer active" so I never had to speak to Eir once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Be careful I returned my apple box to Eir and they laterbilled me for a non return of box even though I'd sent it back!!!!

Advertisement