Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Deleted Messages from 10 years ago have reappeared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just gone through mine there now and it's definitely mostly sent PMs that have been restored for me and I know I never had these kept in old site. Going back to 2017!

There are a few received messages after reappearing but mostly sent ones.

It's sickening.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's the way the 'Messages' are designed on the Vanilla platform though... they're more of a Facebook Messenger hybrid albeit with no delete function (which is nuts in and of itself)

So if you send me a PM and subsequently delete it on the old platform but I haven't, our 'discussion' is still archived and shows up as a 'Message' in your inbox still. I think that's what the issue is... though why it's doing it for closed accounts is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They're effectively completely different, once an email leaves an SMTP server its no longer within that services control as to what happens to it.

What we have here are PMs between customers and organisations containing personal data on a single system that were undeleted and now cannot be deleted.

So enough of the Boards stanning there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Think of it from a Messenger/WhatsApp perspective - if you delete a message or leave a group there the data is gone for you but not for the other party.

The issue is there's no delete function for the user. You can 'Leave' the discussion which would theoretically remove the data for yourself but no idea whether that is then archived here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

No - they're electronic messages between a sender and a recipient. In either case, if the sender deletes the item, that doesn't mean it is deleted from the recipient's folder.

I presume you acknowledge this?

The messages presumably aren't deleted until both parties delete them - which is why some random ones are coming up now.

I've said the Boards migration has been very badly managed. But that doesn't mean missing the reality of what's happened here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Tow

GDPR Issues:

1. Data exported outside the EU: https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/organisations/international-transfers/transfers-personal-data-third-countries-or-international-organisations
    2. Data retention: Personal data may only be kept in a form which permits identification of the individual for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it was processed.

They have my retained personal data to both Vodafone and Three (which I had deleted long ago) for years after the companies were customers of Boards. These PMs should have been fully deleted by boards once the contract with the two companies ended.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

And somebody has just closed the thread in after hours. That’s a real shame as there was a poster who thinks that digiweb are hosting the site still and that the data is being stored here.

That’s why these important threads should be allowed remain in other forums. Posters only go to certain places so are none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well I see it is hosted in Canada, as detailed here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200779/gdpr-boards-ie-and-vanilla-how-does-this-work. Let's be clear though, from my experience with GDPR requests, and I've handled a few (in my own domain). There isn't clear info about what exactly constitutes "necessary" data, especially when the user generates that content themselves. You can go nuclear option too, I generally execute Right to be Forgotten requests by scrubbing everything entirely from the site, including the user themselves and their sessions.

One important thing from the linked thread though, a user requested to be deleted, and they do NOT have to use a dedicated email to request deletion, the forum is good enough! Any avenue of contact with staff is permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I see where you are coming from comparing PMs to email but there is one clear difference. PMs for both sender and recipient are both stored in the same database but probably in two different tables. It then comes down to a design decision over whether one party to the conversation deletes a message does it get deleted for the other person and does this work for both sent and received messages. Take a nasty exchange between two accounts as an example, if someone sends you an abusive message and you want to report this message, the sender could delete the message so you could no longer see it. This is not as straightforward as deleting sent and received messages when either participant deletes them. The database structures in vBulletin and Vanilla are probably different so both sent and received messages have been combined so messages that were thought to have previously been deleted have now reappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You can also copy and paste parts of the PM i.e.: Quotes, and format them as part of your new message, so who owns that?

• Advertisement

The PM I sent to Vodafone in 2015 was requesting that my account be cancelled. I provided them with account number, name, address, dob. My Vodafone account was cancelled as requested and Vodafone have been gone from the talk to forum here for a good few years too.

What necessary reason is there to keep my personal data PM in here? Once the request is actioned it’s no longer required. It’s like keeping post it notes with your to do list in it forever and ever. Except this isn’t “pick up spuds, dog food and wine” this is sensitive info.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

But the main point I'm answering is those who say "On whose authority are Boards holding my information?" The answer appears to clearly be "the recipient's"

If you delete a message from your sent items, that doesn't mean the message is deleted. It just means it's deleted from your side, but it's perfectly reasonable to assume it doesn't delete it for the recipient.

Again, the migration has been a complete mess. But the Talk To reps have more questions to answer for me as to why they weren't cleansing data. If nothing else, a new Talk To rep could have a look through lots of old data about posters they may know in real life. That's not on.

I don't know what sort of agreement boards had in place with hosted companies in terms of GDPR - did they say that GDPR was the hosted companies' responsibility? Was there a check in place to ensure that a closed account would first of all have to prove it had deleted all its data? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Now if you had a discussion one month with the talk to reps and then needed to restart it a month later because of the same issue you'd have been told we don't have access to that old information because we delete it because of GDPR.

Wake me up when it's all over.

in a nutshell, continental.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

... spuds, dog food and wine ...

Sounds like quite the evening. Can I come?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

@cdeb - But the Talk To reps have more questions to answer for me as to why they weren't cleansing data. If nothing else, a new Talk To rep could have a look through lots of old data about posters they may know in real life. That's not on.

Yeah this is the bit that bothers me too - if a Talk To company closes their account with boards then any private messages they have should be deleted. For sure if I ever need to deal with one again I won't be sending personal information via boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If not getting anywhere here, probably a tweet @boards would get some traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is actually unsurprisingly like email in that email systems typically don't duplicate messages within their database.

If I send a message to someone else within my organisation, the system stores one copy of that email with a pointer from both mailboxes to that message. It's a storage efficiency thing. When you "delete" the email, you just delete the pointer. The actual data is only purged when it has no more pointers to it.

So it makes sense that vBulletin would have done the same thing.

What was obviously not intentional is that the migration would resurrect these into some pseudo-thread format. In a way it's good that this has occurred, as otherwise this would never have been spotted - there has been an oversight in offboarding the TalkTo forums where the content of the accounts should have been purged after a set amount of time. Whether it's incumbent on boards or on the third party to do this, is up in the air. The account is still technically open and available to that 3rd party.

Not a major issue, but as @McBain11 says the safest way forward might be to purge all PMs of select accounts, like retired TalkTo forums, closed accounts, etc, and put out a sitewide warning that this is going to occur.

If it is not going to be possible at all for users to delete their own messages, then the system should automatically prune/delete them after a fixed period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A Talk To.. company has no right to retain PII except for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was gathered.

So by definition a closed Talk To... account should have had all PMs held by it wiped on closure, as no benefit to the other party can accrue from retaining those PMs on the system. (the other party may themselves choose to retain them, but that is their choice)

Both scenarios are a GDPR breach.

They need to clear out PMs held by all closed accounts, and enforce a system that the remaining Talk To... accounts do not retain PMs beyond a reasonable period (3 months perhaps?)

But really the "Conversations" feature is totally broken and not a suitable model for replacing the old PM system.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Based on this I just went back to see if I could access an old closed account. I have two. One from many years ago. Both account names are active when you attempt to log in but the password doesn’t work. Obviously that’s a good thing. However how does that work, I assumed my PM data would have been deleted when the account was closed but now I don’t trust that it was. There is more than enough across both accounts PMs to clearly identify me and I assumed that data was scrubbed.

How do I find out if it was? Should I have put in a GDPR request to be forgotten instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Same. I’ve resurfaced PMs with reps from Meteor and Vodafone which state my name, DOB, address and phone pin. I have lost confidence in the whole site as a result of this fiasco, one disaster on top of another. Once this is sorted and I can be sure my private info is deleted, (this is only one example) I am out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

I've started a Twitter thread on the issues. It includes some of Ireland's top tech journalists, along with the former Talk To companies plus the Data Commissioner. If people add their voice it will give more weight to the complaints.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Evening all. Sorry for the silence on this today so far, I was hoping to have a full and in-depth update for you but I don't have that yet. We are very disappointed with the private messages issue and completely understand why you are all worried and upset about it. These messages should not have been migrated across at all. I was unaware that they were still even saved after they had been deleted from our inboxes/sent items myself.

We have been in contact with the team in Vanilla about this issue today and have asked for a full incident report. We have asked that any PMs that should not be in inboxes be removed asap. I don't have enough technical knowledge of the database or PMs to be able to confidently speculate as to what has happened so I will wait for the facts in case I start barking up the wrong tree.

When we get something back on this we will let you know. Thank you.

Thanks Niamh. Now go enjoy your weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

We are being directed to this thread from the GDPR thread, to another thread to see what to do with bugs and glitches, and other threads that were discussing the issues are being closed off!

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Hi Niamh, what about threads that were deleted at request? These are back also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Does that mean these Canadian based Vanilla developers have access to people PMs?

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

These are not emails where the information in both inboxes is stored on separate systems. All of this information is under the control of boards.ie. There are a couple of issues that i can see

PMs were only being soft deleted.

When a talk to forum was shut down the PMs of the Talk To users were not deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

why should we think of it from that perspective? the old system didn't work that way. This is another screwup on the part of boards.ie due to zero testing done before migration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

This seems more am issue with the pm system before the migration that has just come to light because of the migration.

It makes sense that if deleted from your sent box it would still be in the other inbox.

The issue is the talk to companies should have purged their data on a regular basis. And definitely when closing up shop they should have. Boards probably should have done it anyway but I see the companies having more responsibility to delete or make sure/confirm when they close their account it would be deleted.

Advertisement