Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where is the dispute resolution forum and prison?

• 29-07-2021 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much as the thread title says, where are they?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Post edited by Spear on

Best Answers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

They're not available at the moment, and at a guess, they won't be available for a while yet.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Dispute Resolution and Help Desk will be back alright. Prison is a little trickier as with site bans now, there is no way to allow access to any forums in the same way as users used to have access to Prison so we'll have to look into that a bit more.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sure why would you need them when all modding action seems to have been paused indefinitely anyway? I dunno if the mod tools just aren't working or what but it seems to be a free for all for shills, trolls and troublemakers in a number of fora at the moment.

And before anyone bangs the "Report the posts" drum, they have been. Doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Okay thanks, seems strange though to have migrated over and be missing fairly vital features and tools for the moderators and users no? Was it not tested before full migration??

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This is not strictly true. I see reported posts being actioned in our private forum several times a day. It takes a little longer because the structure of the whole site has changed, but sanctions and bans are still being issued as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Something that really opened my eyes in the early days of the sites new platform, was that you could actually see someone had "flagged" your post, you couldn't see who was in fairness, but you could see why (abuse for example) I read and reread the comments I had been flagged for "abuse" and in all honestly, didn't see any. But, in saying that it really opened my eyes as to what some lowlifes on the site resort to when you pull their arguments asunder, I dread to think what its like to try and moderate the site when bitchiness like that is going on.

Apparently that was one or two users abusing the "Flag" system to make a point and that option has since been disabled.

Of more concern to me is the fact that apparently mods no longer get an automatic notification that a post has been reported. It seems a post needs to generate a certain number of reports before it's brought to mod attention, which is absolutely bonkers imo. I can *almost* see the logic for fora that attract a lot of cranks, like AH or CA, but for somewhere like PI where one post that flies under the radar can do a lot of damage, it seems like madness to me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If I had notifications of reported posts my email would be jammed with them. I actually opted not to receive notifications on the old platform. I realise though that the notification process was appropriate for many of the forums that are not so busy and do not generate many reports. It may be that something can be introduced for the new platform, but that may be difficult as it only differentiates mods on a Category basis, which means something reported for AH or Current Affairs would be notified to all mods across the Social and Fun category. As a mod of Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas I and my fellow mod would be notified of reports across AH, Current Affairs, Coronavirus etc - not so much of an issue for me, but my fellow mod would then be inundated with notifications of reports they need to check to then discover they they do not have any responsibility for

I would add that a single report results in a thread being started in the Reported Posts Forum. More reports just add replies in the same thread. Hence something with 5 or 6 reports would very quickly attract the attention of any mods reviewing reports, but a single report will still be posted

I have been quite active in dealing with reports across the Current Affairs and Coronavirus forums, but I pick them up by reviewing a dedicated forum where the reports appear. I think though that quite a few mods are probably, like regular posters, still finding their way around the new site. Some are probably waiting for us to get a few more features to help with modding in place before devoting too much time to this platform, which may result in delays in actioning reports, or reporst being missed altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The big question though is if the Prison forum has vanished since the migration does that then mean that those who were in Prison are now out on day release or are they in some kind of permanent purgatory forever rattling their jail bars with steel tea mugs but without ever being heard. We wouldnt want Boards breaking the UN Convention on Human Rights or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

What are / were the dispute resolution forum and prison? Did they exist before the recent upgrade?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

There was someone, or maybe more than one poster mucking about with the flagging earlier this week.

I think that is sorted now. I had posts flagged, and in one case marked as 'abuse'. 🙄

Thanks Beasty. I had asked about this in the PI feedback thread. Faith test-reported a post in Weddings and got no notification and couldn't even find the Reported Posts forum. Big Bag of Chips said she has access to the forum but that reported posts aren't indexed by forum so she'd have to scroll through everything to see if any were from PI/RI. So it definitely seems like the mod tools aren't what they used to be and are badly in need of some attention.

• Advertisement

so, can I clarify this for a sec.

Ae you saying that there is no dispute resolution forum?

so Mods can do what they like with no recourse at the moment?

what could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,613 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That puts us back before there was the feedforward reform. I do sincerely hope some form of it is intentioned to make a comeback.

Um, that's what they did anyway.

It was a forum where only the most egregiously awful modding was corrected, but most of the time the wagons were circled and mods would look through complaints for specious reasons to reject them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The mod comment to me about the DRP coming back for sure but prison not so sure, just to pick up on it if I could

Was it not considered at all before the switch the difficulty in having the users access to the prison forum while not able to access other forums?

This was hardly only discovered after the migration surely?? What level of planning actually went into the switch?

Advertisement