Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadway surfacing

Options
  • 05-08-2021 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi all

I am presently doing up the roadway down to my house. It a private road we put in ourselves when we built around 12yrs ago. It a limestone road and has been fine but needs to be topped up again. The start of the road is on a slight hill but then levels out to be more or less flat. I raked all the road with the digger to try and Eliminate potholes that keep coming. I got a load of 1/2inch down screenings and have spread and vibrate rolled them in. It was wetted well so is well packed.

I put considering putting a light coat of 3/4inch wash limestone on top to give it more of a hard wearing surface.

What would you think

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Level ground is your enemy with roadways potholing is inevitable on flat surfaces - especially when the tyre tracks compact down and leave a centre ridge. what is you plan for draining the surface on the level part? Can you put a crown on the road to get rid of the surface water into the verge on either side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

As above a fall essential, water and potholes go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

3/4'' chip will move under vehicles it's the last thing I would do. Ideally potholes need to be filled with 2'' down to within an inch of road level and then 1/2'' screening's vibrated in with a roller. There is no way of really preventing potholes. How long is the roadway

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happylad

Thanks for the comments. They are greatly appreciated. The road is probably 150mtrs long. Yes it was built up with 2" initially when we done the road and it was blinded with 3/4" screenings. We rolled it with the tractor roller only and have been doing this every so often since. Yes i would agree no matter what happens we will get potholes when the road is flat in spot. To be fair when i put the 1/2" screening on and vibrated them in the road is well solid.

I was only thinking about putting the washed 3/4" stone down as a single layer and rolling it down more so for looks than anything. I perhaps will leave it as it is and see how it goes.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

IMO it will move and tear the ground. There is no way it will remain fix d in the ground. It will actually create more potholes.

At 150meters I would consider getting Asphalt put on it when prices correct in a few years time. You could write it off against tax especially if you have an off farm job. Saw a lad get a good sized driveway and around a house done for 14k there was around 500sq meters of Asphalt put down in 2017 That was a vat Inc price. Ex-vat it was 12.5k he deprecated only 50% against the farm as most was around the house

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

Layer of quarry dust on top and roll it like f0ck.

Did you try getting some road planings that were finely graded. If you got them and a good roller you'd have a laneway that would be a lot stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve been told you can burn the surface afterwards with diesel sprayed on and it is like laid asphalt again.

Yip I've been told that too - I think even the diesel just put on without burning can allow it to be put into place better, but obvs burning will re-melt the tar and allow for best surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

My neighbour got road planings or road grind as he calls it. Got a local with a JCB to level it and the son rolled it with a twin drum vibrating roller. While rolling he burst a hydraulic hose but where the oil spilled the planings hardened like the road. I often wondered if you just sprayed oil or diesel on it when rolling would it bond better.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's what I have been told - spray a bit of diesel on it before rolling will loosen it up, i.e. it breaks down the bitumen. The 'right' way to do it is to get one of those large horizontal mixers and use a proper binding agent. Can really on lay it properly in hot weather though.

Advertisement