Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cry Macho (Clint Eastwood)

• 05-08-2021 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

As well as directing, Clint is returning to the front of the camera. Given his age and apparent frailty this feels very personal and poignant, even if it is based on a novel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Some man. Fair play to him staying so active at 91.

I love how he's been able to play a grizzled old man that's dismissive of a younger character for over 30 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, it's definitely revisiting some of his other work.

Took me ages to place Dwight Yoakam as his friend/boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gosh, at 91 I would wonder how much of the active directing Eastwood is really doing here; wouldn't be surprised if he just backseats to the 2nd Unit, gives occasional pointers. Fair play all the same - like Ridley Scott you feel had either stopped earlier they would have faded away sooner.

As to the film? Looks very boilerplate, and a slightly softer version of Gran Torino;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Soundtrack a nod to his friend Ennio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

does anyone know the name of that tune in the trailer? I know it’s from something else

edit - I think it’s actually good will hunting

Post edited by Tilikum17 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's Ennio Morricone's score for The Mission. I haven't heard it used in a trailer in a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thank you, I did a double take and had a real "wait a minute, that's ... something. I should know that." when the music kicked in. Very old school, but that's apt

thanks….i haven’t seen the mission. The part in that trailer @ 1.30 is also in good will hunting. I must watch the mission as I love the tune.

This is a fairly inconsequential, simplistic and very much low-key piece in the end, let down by the screenplay.

Not one of Eastwood's best by a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, if Tom Hanks is anything to go by Eastwood's direction is rather laconic anyway. So he probably doesn't get too worked up about things.

The key to a long life 😄

I'll have to give the film a spin sometime, his films are generally very good or at least watchable, but I'll admit that the subject matter here isn't terribly appealing.

Its the weakest Clint film I can remember. Starts off fine just starts meandering around though in the middle. I'd say he has one or two more in him yet though!

Watched it over the weekend. Poor

Is it weak as in not worth the bother, or not up to the standard of 'Unforgiven' or 'Mystic River'?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I'm still getting over the action he was getting in 'The Mule'. If memory serves he spent the night with two women a one point. Bit of a stretch. Metaphorically speaking.....

Unfortunately I would have to say the former. Even as a big Clint fan the film is quite forgettable.

Well he is still stretching that in this, he can barely get out of his truck, but the women still want a piece!!

Unfortunately I would have to say the former. Even as a big Clint fan the film is quite forgettable.

Um, that doesn't sound good. Still I might give it a whack anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I'm an Eastwood fan but don't really get his thing about acting in them now. He is noticably frail which is totally understandable. I'm not suggesting that he doesn't work. I hope he continues to direct but leave the acting to someone under 90. Remember he went on stage talking to an empty chair at a RNC?

While on this topic, what about Eli Wallach in Money Never Sleeps. He was terrible. Imagine whistling in a meeting?

Id have to disagree with you there. I love seeing people of that age films and they have just as much place as anyone else i believe. I mean to be coherent and energetic enough to do it over 90 years of age, why not? It might be a little unsettling to the viewer to see people so frail, but its every day reality and what better place then film to showcase that.

If the character in the story is around 90, what's the problem?

• Advertisement

Acting is one of those weird professions where you can conceivably keep working 'til you drop dead. I see no problem with seeing folks playing their age if they're up for it; makes a refreshing change TBH - when compared to the other end of the scale, when Hollywood casts 25+ year olds to play teenagers.

That Eastwood is still mobile, coherent and functional at 91 is amazing, and may we all live to be that way. God knows I shiver at this thought of being that old and nothing but mush. He still has a ways to go before he hits Stan Lee's record of acting at 95 (IIRC). I do seriously doubt he has headed all the directorial himself; I suspect he delegated the more physical aspects and simply acted as the Voice of God in people's ears. But again - if he's mentally fine, have at it.

The RNC stuff was weird, but nothing to do with age. Just a really stupid "joke" the organisers / Eastwood thought would be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Acting can continue after you're dead! The skeleton Eli Wallach uncovers when digging for the gold in Sad Hill cemetery was that of a real actress, who stipulated that she wanted her remains to appear in a movie.

Advertisement