Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on Irish drug policy?

• 03-08-2021 8:45pm

I've been pretty back and forth about this topic for a while.

On one hand, drugs are bad mmmmkay?

On the other hand I can't help but keep up with innovative work of British neuropharmacologist David Nutt and his somewhat revolutionary work in the area of classified drugs for therapeutic application.

Putting all that in perspective of the socio-economic impact of drug use in society at large.

Gangland shootings, teh "bad boy" subculture run rampant in Dublin and most backwater towns and willages around Ireland.

It all seems fairly well rooted in the supposed glamorization of drug use.

Even back when, apparently drug users were considered more insightful, enlightened and artistic.

I'm gonna "spit some truth yo"; I hooked up with this gal some time back, she made SURE to tell me how much she likes taking drugs and having sex whilst under their influence.

It was like a merit badge she was wearing front and center, and ensuring that I was made aware of her affinity for drug use was clearly something she wasn't going to be denied.

So you get what I'm saying re glamorization.

Like I said, I haven't fully defined a view point on whether their use is something humanity as a whole would be better off without, or is there on some level a benefit, and is it time national corporation stepped in, modernized their viewpoint and controlled the situation, versus outright condemnation and allowing it to run rampant under elicit terms?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

And I'd like to steer this conversation more in the direction of,

"what do you think their benefits are, despite elicit status?" versus

"the people are right, the government is wrong and need to get with teh times".

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mksbart1948

Volenti non fit iniuria - drugs should be legalized imo. The biggest danger in smoking marijuana is getting caught with it which is ridiculous. Leaving it to the black market causes consumers to use drugs with some strange admixtures (to increase weight and thus profit), which often increase the harmfulness of the substance many times over.

As far as marijuana goes, I'd prefer to run into a bunch of stoned dudes and gals 10 out of 10 times versus a bunch of belligerent drunken f**kin' imbeciles.

I don't know does the Irish government have an advisory comity in relation to this matter but I do know some very well respected experts in the area of Irish pharmacology and drug policy who continue to vehemently oppose the idea of drug legalization.

Not looking at anyone in particular.... but I'm just saying condemnation has come abound from one UCC professor, whose name may or may not rhyme with "Ned Linan".

A little more open mindedness and deference to the good work of the likes of David Nutt and the team at Drug Science couldn't hurt.

That's all I'm saying.

Pharma has no profit in a plant that you can easily grow yourself. Sales of antidepressants, sleeping pills, appetite stimulants, painkillers etc would drop substancialy with marijuana legalization.

In general, I am against the legal prohibition of drugs for adults (according to the Roman rule that I gave on top - there is no harm to the willing) but if something has to be banned, then I would also rather ban alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

In fairness, there is compelling evidence that spliced super strains of weed can induce psychosis and have a very bad effect on people who have an inherited predisposition to schizophrenia.

That said, the above is a by-product of prohibition, and it should be controlled by legalized dispensaries. I'd be wary of the potent strains however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

Vintners association wont allow legalization, not until they've made exclusive business infrastructure that they'll use to hock yester-years illegal narcotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hello, Mr Feg.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Decriminalisation has been proven to work in a number of different countries e.g. Portugal.

When people with substance issues are viewed as patients as opposed to criminals than progress will be seen.

Unfortunately it will be a very long time before we take that approach as a country

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MowldyCabbage

Has anyone else noticed though that while weed etc don't seem too bad compared to alcohol, any of your friends who didn't grow out of their dope smoking days are now thick as **** and neck deep in every conspiracy going? Coincidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

No, not at all, not in my friends group.

The amount of mental health issues on the other hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think you may be confusing the easy access to cash quickly in large amounts to the glamourisation of the product. If the gangs could turn huge profits flipping flip flops they'd do that instead. It's all about the Benjamin's baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Have you ever noticed that people who like their liquor much more than others are hopeless alcos?

But that's ok because we regard them as 'legends' in this country by sinking 10 or more pints in a sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MowldyCabbage

Most of my friends drink socially. None of them are alcoholics. I certainly wouldn't describe someone as a legend for being a big drinker. There was a bit of a culture of that when I was young all right but we all grew out of it, only drink socially now and most don't smoke weed.

I just notice that the ones that continued to smoke weed never quite grew up with the rest of us and are almost all into conspiracy stuff. They're not alcoholic equivalents with substance abuse issues they just smoke regularly.

Sure, like tropical island for rich powerful pedophiles, vaccine passports and that Wu-flu started in Chinese lab. These people believe in the craziest theories!

Benjamins..... you say?

I was actually under the impression most drug trade was confined to the online realm in this modern age.

That being the case users must actively seek it out (and negotiating crypto takes a little practice) so it's not like anyone is forcing them to make a purchase.

Point being, when I said glamorization I meant amongst the user demographic, not the retailers - and there is, unquestionably some kind of warped glamour/social-status associated with drug use.

True story:

I think it was new years actually, couple years back. I went to the edge of the nightclub dancefloor to, "re-euphoria" myself.

There was this bunch of gals stood adjacently. When they saw me approach them then act conspicuously, I think they thought I was going to try and hit on one of them.

Then they realized the true motive behind my activity and when I was passing by them again to return to center dancefloor, one of the barreled into me, accused me of not watching where I was going, and then their entire group kind of collectively attacked me.

A whole bunch of college girls, just attacked me - simply cause I was getting loose on the goose, and I think they were resentful of that, missing out on a good time of some kind perhaps?

i.e. they felt there was some glamour in getting dissociated.

Know what I'm saying?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not sure about the lads bringing it into the country, but from my experience buying most drugs is still a cash/person job. Don't get me wrong, there are those out there who do use the internet, but I still meet a guy who met a guy who met a guy......

As for the policy in Ireland, it's not working. I hate calling it a "war" on drugs, because it wasn't, it was a badly handled approach, but one which most countries are guilty of. Decriminalisation is the first step. But as others have noted, there are too many vested interests involved for this to be done anytime soon. I've no doubt that once the tobacco people or business people in bed with the politicians figure out a way to make profit from it, then it will be legalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Where would you stand on 10 belligerent drunks vs 10 people with drug induced psychosis, who have the steadfast belief that you are stealing, and listening to their thoughts, while inserting your own thoughts into their heads??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You've obviously never experienced B. I have multiple times, mainly due to my job, but also at a personal level. It's no fun when a family member attacks you out of nowhere with a knife because "you're always talking" about them, or when a friend arrives to a party armed with a golf club to attack the group because we were "stealing his thoughts".

A drunk will sober up eventually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement