Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Christmas food left?

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The last jar of dip left from Christmas '20 has a BBE during the month. Must buy some generic-doritos.

Did have a pudding from Christmas '19 at about Easter though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭tscul32

I found a tub of heroes at the weekend. A little past its bbe, dont think that will stop any of us though. Also found some Cadbury fingers and a couple of mini skittles packs from a selection box. I think we buy too much at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Have you tried the the dark chocolate fingers (Bournville), they are vegan and taste great. We have been using them in the kids ice creams at home instead of flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Have a whole Christmas cake in the press that a neighbour made for us last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That'll be good for another 4 or 5 years yet (depending on how much alcohol they put in it 😉)

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭tscul32

Not yet, but think I've got a box of the choc orange ones, can't wait to try them. We love the fingers at Christmas so buy a few boxes, then my parents gave us one of the giant boxes, with 5 or 6 packs in it so we're still finding them at the back of presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Yes, it's fully encased in a thick layer of icing and I've heard that preserves it as well (no air getting into it I presume).

I found two christmas puddings from 2018 in the back of a press in the kitchen. Out of curiosity, I opened them, and they still looked and smelled exactly like xmas pudding should. Threw them away, but it just shows how effective boiling every ounce of nutrient value of out of something and steeping it in alcohol is at preserving it. They're practically embalmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

I don't know about "boiling every ounce of nutrient value out of something" but I'm all for the "steeping it in alcohol" part😁🎅

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Found 2 puddings last weekend. Ate a lovely one, with a BB date of Sept 20, along with mince pies from the freezer, last Saturday.

Fab aroma in the kitchen while boiling.

The second one will be demolished sometime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I only really worry about BB dates on dairy and meat. For everything else if it passes the smell test then it's good to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Already finished the first box of Lebkuchen from this year 😋 They taste much better now than at Christmas as they are fresher 😄

BTW, if anyone spots Stollen in Lidl please stick a post in here... I'll be keeping an eye out anyway but only call in every couple of weeks or so normally.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am devastated :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I wonder how this will effect their general stock levels. I really want their turkey pie that Loughc posted in the food thread. 😮

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ever since Brexit their range has reduced, with the closure of M&S food stores in France and the Czech Republic announced this week you wonder if they will still scaling back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Wish they would say 'Due to Brexit.....'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭sporina

won't make the same mistake this year... gonna put some mince pies in the freezer and buy an extra tub of Roses today

Will be freezing at least a couple of dozen mince pies this year, wont pick them up until christmas week though or they'll be eaten! before they get frozen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

How long can they (depending on willpower!) last for in the freezer? Do you defrost them, or can you just heat them in an oven? 🤔

• Advertisement

I defrost them generally, then eat them at room temperature or heat them in the microwave for a few seconds to have with ice cream or similar.

This year we still had some in august!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭phormium

Well wrapped and in a good freezer they will last a long time, I still have some of the ones I made last year in there and they're fine. Less time though in half and half type freezers but sufficient from now to end Jan anyway. Into airtight bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭sporina

once they don't get freezer burn (wrap appropriately) they will be ok for about 6-9 mths.. thaw in fridge b4 reheating (gently)

Advertisement