Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for 20 year old query

Options
  • 03-08-2021 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some insurance info before I start calling insurance companies & brokers. My daughter, who is 20, has just passed her driving test. Thinking about buying her a cheap bangernomics starter car . Anyone do this recently? Are there age restrictions on the car or does it vary from company to company. Ideally looking for a 2007/2008 car. Does engine size still matter as in the smaller the engine, the cheaper the insurance. Would like to hear from anyone who has done this recently.

Thanks,

T.

Post edited by biko on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Site acting up.

I'm in the process and used registrations from Done deal to get an idea on insurance prices. Coming in at 1450 for 1.2 to around 1650 for a 1.4 litre petrol, not looking at anything over that. Using brokers such as chill to get multiple quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks for the reply Dingatron. Was going to use a few sample reg numbers ok. Definitely 1.4 is the highest I'd go. Was thinking of a 1.0 Yaris really. It will only be a runaround & she will only be doing town driving for the moment. Are you looking at older cars as well? I know she doesn't need a diesel but wonder is insurance any cheaper on a diesel?.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Look at the likes of the Renault Clio, generally they are insurance friendly. I'd stay away from diesels for that sort of usage and I cannot see insurance being any cheaper on one over a similar petrol car.

Looked at a few petrol/diesel Toyota Auris/Seat Leon/Ibiza 2011-2014. 2013 1.4 diesel Auris is coming in around 1650.

Thanks for all the replies. Will get a few quotes & see how I get on.

Not mad on the Renault Clio but if it's insurance friendly, it might get her on the road.

T.

• Advertisement

Yep, will stay away from diesels. Last thing I want to hear is that it has DMF or DPF issues. Fiat Punto is another car with a 1.2 engine & not making mad money. Not sure how they are in the reliability stakes.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Try Boxymo or AIG with the box. Monitors driving, has a box installed. Insurance cheaper. And as a parent I have an extra on on them if you get me. Stay between the 1.1 and 1.4 petrol. Don't go for Peugeot, Honda or WV Golfs as theyre automatically considered boy racer fast cars= loading!

Thanks airy fairy. 1.0 Toyota Yaris also an option but not much protection but will only be for town driving for the first year anyway.

Thanks,

T.

Hi Dingatron,

Getting similar prices. 1.0 Yaris comes in at 1290. Adding myself & the missus as named drivers reduces the insurance some bit.

T.

Got the daughter sorted at the weekend for 1290 with me as named driver for a 2013 1.5 Focus with KennCo via Chill.ie. Surprising, didn't expect we'd get a semi decent quote for a 1.5.

• Advertisement

That's brilliant. Best I've got so far is 1290 with 123.ie. Tried quote from Chill today & coming in 400 dearer for my lady.

T.

Does everyone with a learner license let their kids off unaccompanied?

Seems like a lot to insure a car that's being temporarily used if not?

I was hoping to get a cheap car & reasonable insurance & get her on the road. Would only be used for local/town driving for the moment until she gets some experience. Working our dearer that I'd hoped. May be postponing it for a while.

T.

Local town driving on her own? She'll never get insurance if caught driving with an L plate.

If it's only for experience, let her use your car, really. It's an awful lot of money. Put it towards lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

Also, if she's found to be driving on her own, they'll seize the car

It's a N plate folks, 'has just passed her driving test.'

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

Ah that's good. . Congrats to her. That would bring down the cost to an extent but she'll need to build up her own NCD for it to come down much. There are some companies who put a box in the car which monitors how the driver is driving. Maybe try those, if she's prepared to have the box fitted.

She has just passed the test so N plates for her.

T.

Advertisement