Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT miss or Garage rip off.

Options
  • 03-08-2021 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

My car passed NCT in March, advisory on tyres due to age, which were replaced. Car has drove less than 200kms since. I put it in for a service in a well known autoservice place as there hadn't been one done in 3 years. I told them there was a small rattle and I think the heat shield needs to be fixed Anyway they rang me to say they couldn't find any rattle under the car but the 2 front lower ball joints are burst and leaking grease and will cost 200e to repair and 65 to align the car. Now I can't believe the NCT would miss 2 ball joints, one maybe but 2, no way!

They also had a list of things like bulbs/blades/tyres (tyres were only replaced last month to part worn good quality tyres! Far from bare!) And the total charge would now be 650 euros.

I'd like to add I'm a bleach blonde female but I am not clueless when it comes to cars but not an expert either, however I feel like these shower are trying to rip me off!

I rang a local garage that was recommended to me by a friend and he said it would be 120 to have them replaced and aligned but he can't believe the NCT missed this either and will check himself tomorrow.

So would the NCT miss 2 ball joints or is someone chancing their arm.

Comments

3 years without a service. WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

I only bought it last month! Hence why I got it in for a service, don't blame me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've heard stories of obvious things being missed at the NCT (e.g. a colleagues car passed with what should have been a dangerous fail on suspension), and also of garages trying to rip people off. just get a second opinion.

a main dealer once quoted me €1600 to get my car through an NCT, and €400 more of work they recommended needed to be done, but not NCT specific; i spent €270 on the car elsewhere (there was an issue with the rear brakes i knew about) and the car got through the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Regarding the ball joints, if you don't trust their verdict then you could just jack up the car, take off the wheels and inspect them yourself - or take it to another mechanic.

Bulbs and wiper blades could be easily inspected and replaced by yourself, and you can get a tyre tread depth gauge for about a fiver.

NCT is not infallible, and things can happen in four months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

The NCT is only a snapshot of the condition of the vehicle at that point in time, and even then its not infallible. Things like ball joints, and especially the rubber seals around them are very susceptible to wear and tear, but mostly age, they split and crack and the grease is forced out, causing excessive wear and tear on the balljoint itself. Happened to me one time, car passed the NCT, no problem, then it was parked up for a year ( the NCT centre refused to believe that the car had basically only driven to the test centre and back, but it was true ) None the less, the inactivity had caused one ball joint ( the left hand side one...the one that meets all the pot holes on country roads here in Ireland ) to seize up, and I had to replace it. The chances are that if I HAD driven it for a longer distance before the test, it would have freed itself up and passed the test. So yes, I can understand balljoints ( an anything else) failing a short time after the test. There was one tragic case where a young driver crashed her car, and was killed. In the subsequent investigation, the Guardai discovered that the cause of the crash was faulty shock absorbers, yet it had been recently NCT'd. This was a fault in how the testing equipment works. It measured the condition of both shocks, and compares them, and as there was no varience between them, they were considered OK. But the reality were both of them were equally defective.

• Advertisement

Reading the report it just says lower ball joints have grease out, so perhaps it's just started recently. I will be getting a second opinion and cheaper repair tomorrow. Did the bulb when I got home, I actually had the bulbs here but never got round to it the weekend, and new wipers on the way from micks garage.

I feel like the clutch is a bit high but they never mentioned anything about it so maybe not a worry for now.

I will say when driving the car home it felt lovely and smooth to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,137 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does the place that serviced it and gave you the report happen to sell the likes of tyres/bulbs and wipers too? Some of these places are very eager to upsell these things so can be "proactive" about them needing replacing, if you catch my drift.

Yes it does. This was my first thought. To be honest had they just said the ball joints I would have paid the 200euro to get it over with, but when they threw everything else in like 65e to align the car I thought no way, these are taking the **** and now it's saved me 80e for the joints and the new garage does alignment with the job so almost 150e saved.

I'm sure that it will work out fine you. Balljoint's are serious though, but again, shop around and get the best price you can. How long remaining in the NCT? And what make of car? For the clutch, sit in the car, start the engine, put your foot on the brake and apply / pull the handbrake up to the max,select 1st gear and while the engine is ticking over, ( dont rev it up) let your foot off the clutch slowly. If the clutch is good, the engine will cut out, If its worn, it will slip..the engine will stay running, but the car will not move.The other items you mention, you seem to be doing fine sorting them out.

Nct is not out untill March 22 and Tje car is an Avensis. Thank you for the clutch tip I will do that today!

• Advertisement

Generally, Toyotas are good reliable cars, but like all cars, they can have faults too, Google "common avensis faults" and you will see what I mean. In any case, it still has a long NCT. You will be fine, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

Second hand tyres? Is that still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

They most certainly are. Plenty of places around still do them and there is nothing wrong with buying a part worn tyre as long as you know what you are getting. A decent part worn "named" brand tyre would still be better than a cheap plastic ditch finder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Plus a million, car went into mechanic for leaky water pump and replace cambelt, paid the bill and took the car home hadn't even got home when a big thunk from nearside and a scraping sound when turning. Spring gone though it was fine when having the WP done!

Passenger side spring? No surprise there ( or Driver side either) but especially on secondary country roads the potholes breed at ferocious speed, and broken springs and damaged wheel rims and suspensions are far too common. And they can happen in a split second.

The 2nd garage said the car is fine, ball joints are fine, rubbers are all fine.

Thats the problem.....and unless either you or a friend have mechanical experience, you are pretty much at the mercy of unscrupulous dealers. Well, at least now you have found someone who is honest. Hang on to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

5 months since NCT, anything could happen in that time

Advertisement