Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pig - Nicolas Cage

Options
  • 01-08-2021 11:22pm

Pig - 2021 is a very good little movie.

Nicolas Cage's normal output for last decade has been awful movies that have been shot in a week.

But he shows that he can very much still act if required here.

This is a bit of a little gem, albeit a little quirky.

Starts off as Cage living out in the literal sticks in Oregon as a complete loner as a truffle hunter with only a pig and his weekly truffle buyer for company.

Goes from there. Not that there is a very intricate plot or anything but best just to go watch it if you're interested instead of reading reviews.

Just over 90 minutes runtime so not too taxing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Double post

I hate new boards 😠

???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah i can't wait until he's back properly , isn't he tied to a dodgey contract to pay his tax bills?

yes also i'm finding it very hard to get the enjoyment i once had on boards

I had posted my thoughts on the movie. Boards duplicated and then proceeded to lose said post.

New boards is a buggy, pos mess.

• Advertisement

so not much discussion of the movie going on here.... 🤣

anyways, see it if you can - it's a good one

once you're not expecting "The Rock" or "Face Off" !

Yeah enjoyed this, cool unique story. Felt it fell off a bit in the third act, but entertaining overall.

I thought that it held together pretty well overall (helped by the fact that it's pretty short overall) and that its originality was very welcome in these days of formulaic franchise barrages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A thoughtful, beautiful film that’s legitimately surprising and unexpected.

An ‘arthouse satire of John Wick’ makes it sound far more pretentious than it is, but that’s kind of what it is. It takes what should be a simple revenge setup and instead takes the story down far more interesting paths. What emerges is a melancholic but empathetic study of trauma and grief, with dashes of humour and lots of careful character work. There’s no rush to move from scene to scene - instead, each sequence has the chance to properly breathe and develop. Yet there’s not a frame wasted - hell, the way the filmmakers set up and upend Robin’s status quo in around five minutes is truly impressive. Key story details are dished out sparingly enough to give the audience enough info to follow along but with plenty of revelations held back til the most effective moment.

Cage turns out plenty of great performances alongside the crap, but it is rare to see him quite as reserved and insular as he is here. For a wild looking character, this is the most impressive and reserved modern cinema’s great maximalist has been in quite a while.

Definitely one of the best films I’ve seen in a cinema since they reopened. Such a treat on the big screen - not only its stark, quietly haunted cinematography, but also to be able to enjoy its unhurried pace without the typical distractions of watching at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I enjoyed it, its a bit quirky and offbeat but well acted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement