Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch buying abstinence club 2021

Options
  • 02-08-2021 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭

I, myself am a watchaholic and have not bought a new watch since September 2020 (I am not counting the Solas, as it was only a minor slip, a single sip of someone else drink so to speak that I wasn’t aware contained whiskey).

Anyone else watch free for 2021 so far? Let this be a thread where we can support each other!

While I am not purposely trying not to buy (well I am in some ways) the real reason is that I am struggling to find something I truly have a longing for at a price I can commit to. Even at prices I am not willing to pay I struggle to see something where I look and go “I have to have it” in order to give myself something to aim towards. I am a little disillusioned with the value proposition in the current market but “it is what it is” so to speak and I benefited plenty from the inflated current market. I really need to get hands on with some new watches in a shop somewhere. Videos and images are just not enough.

I am lucky that I have a small but high quality trio at the moment in my watch box with a Dornblüth and Sohn on order but feel like I have room for one more ....!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Really want a Navitimer, been hovering over the buy button for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Indeed, I do not envisage buying another watch this year.

I have already begun a herd thinning exercise, which is ongoing.

I am sort of limiting myself to my classic chrono (birth year), a diver, a HAQ, sports chrono, and one or two of sentimental value only.

My main endeavour is to have a set of bracelets, straps and clasps to suit each, and make them more versatile in wear.

Apart from keeping an eye out for an unacknowledged gem...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,472 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I can see myself letting a couple go this year. There's nothing really jumping out to me that I want to buy, well that I can buy without needing to sell to free up funds at least 😉

I've some watches that just aren't seeing wrist-time and that I'll likely move on rather than keep. Currently have 11 in the watch box and with the jump in the quality(or at least what I paid😂) of what I own over the last couple of years some of my pieces probably need to be thinned out.

I need to more strictly enforce the "sell" part of the 1in-1out rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I made it from December to June without a purchase and then bought 3 watches by middle of July so not doing great so far . I think I’m in the gathering phase of this watch journey.Hopefully will move more towards an organised thought out collection in time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have abstained so far this year, been limiting myself to one watch a year the past few years. Last watch purchase was my save the ocean King Turtle which arrived in June '20, not tired of using it as a daily driver yet.

Nothing on the radar really, it changes from week to week! This weeks flavour of the week is a sterile dial Nav B Uhr pilot's watch. Last week's flavour of the week was something from Nth. next week who knows what will catch my eye. Perhaps Fitz's Omega video will flush out a bargain.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm happy with my collection, reckon a quartz grand seiko or possibly a spring drive is all I want. Not for a while as I'm too busy paying builders at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm down to 2 watches and one of them is for sale. Have very much a wandering eye though so I expect to be buying several watches over the next while. One of them most likely another Panerai. They wear beautifully on my wrist. And possibly another Rolex too, maybe a change of scene. Although any Rolex I fancy is quite likely simply too small for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

I had 10kish put aside for something very nice this year but that has been swallowed up by a house move thats going ludicrously over budget so can't see myself getting anything nice for quite some time now. Probably for the best as I too am a bit disillusioned by the value out there.

This doesn't really count but I am on the lookout for a quartz diver sh1tter as I do a fair bit of swimming in the sea and my 4 year old disproved the robustness of vostoks after 3 days of wear so I need a new cheap beater. There is surprisingly little choice out there. Looking at a citizen pro master but its a 44m which is out of my comfort zone. I see the casio duro is 44mm too. Anyone have any experience with the Citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You're welcome to have my Duro. Not wearing any more at all.

I did swap the black bezel insert for a blue one in case that's not your cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

You are like a drug pusher at the narcotics anonymous meeting!!!

Literally the day I posted this thread I looked at my Vacheron Overseas and contemplated selling. In my experience one you think it, it’s done. Usually I act quickly and end up selling for below market value. I would do that now happily if I knew what was next. But I don’t. Toying with a gold Daytona but really only as it’s relatively safe money but it seems to lack the level of haute finish and detail I crave. It only feel like a step up on monetary value (and almost a step back in horological terms and a definite step back in any type of value).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm thinking of Sinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I did purchase a marriage watch a month ago - but it is something that's Sólás related... Will hopefully be taking delivery of 14 watches in October but again - that's Equinox related too - I don't see myself buying anything for myself for some time now that there's a newborn in the home too - have to start earning that "milk formula money" (as the saying goes in Chinese)

Fitz is trying to break me.

It's a very, very nice watch 😉 and I know the feeling 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

how much is it to join this club?

3 watch collection here:

SLA043 Seiko 62MAS limited edition diver

Rolex DateJust 41 blue dial Jubilee bracelet fluted bezel - 2020 model

Casio Gshock GMW-B5000TB-1DR Titanium

Really want to be happy with my lot but im already missing my Speedmaster :) :(

Abstinence is bad for your prostate. Live life lads and enjoy your health 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I have agreed with my friend to abstain for a 12 month period. I’m fact, beginning tomorrow, I’m starting a cull. Hopefully will end up with just 3 keepers. Bb58, Seiko Willard and a Cartier Tank. Hoping to add a speedy then after the 12 months is up

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I am in this club too. I am into crypto now and the whole “if I had bought x crypto instead of x watch I’d have x money” is kicking in. I am hoping it will pay off with a Lange at some point. Then I’ll have a whole new x to deal with, but I’ll be wearing a Lange so I won’t care.

• Advertisement

Hedge your bets, nj27. Bit of crypto, bit of watches, bit of pension, bit of property (your home), etc. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

this sounds like the worst club ever

i want no part of it 😁

And there is no need for anyone to be part of it. If you can't stomach depreciation on watches, then just buy watches that don't or barely depreciate. This can be a hobby that is almost free if you want it to be.

Ninja edits noted!

The goal of this club is not to avoid depreciation. Personally I try not to worry too much about that. Not saying I am not trying to “buy right”. But it’s not the primary driver for me. Quality is the goal.

The goal of the club is to only buy a watch you plan on keeping forever and not to be buying for the sake of it as a passing fancy (obviously plans can and do change…). It’s a struggle to resist the pointless purchase that are bought as they seem good value.

That's an illusion. Most of us buy watches to keep forever but then we change our minds and sell 🤣

Abstinence is a load of nonsense. It doesn't help in any way (except your wallet if you are in the habit of buying sh1tters or otherwise heavily depreciating watches)

With my accounting hat on, that's honestly not bad advice tho Unk 😉

Diversification innit 😁 Weirdly was only discussing that theme with the Mrs last night and doing the "just so you know where everything is chat" do it once a year because I tend to shift things quite a bit anyway you know what I forget every single time? My private pension pot 🤦‍♂️ every time! So I'm trying to convince her that as I never count it, I should be allowed spend it anyway 😂

I guess you don’t want to be a member so.

So only shiiters suffer depreciation? Hmmm not sure that’s accurate.

Most of the watches I look at these days wouldn’t interest most and are the type that suffer a lot from depreciation if bought new.

1) Hard to get second hand anywhere close by as there are very few available/made.

2) Hard to resell as low demand.

Looking closely at urban jürgensen these days. But that will require a UK trip to handle some to get a feel from them at some point.

I have a DDS on order that I won’t be able to sell for 50 percent of what I paid. Custom to my design.

but it’s a modified eta movement, and depreciates like hell.

What a shitter…..

Looking closely at urban jürgensen these days. But that will require a UK trip to handle some to get a feel from them at some point.

You keep exposing me to lovely things I've never heard of! Dornblüth and now these lads!

Fully agree with your reasoning on your own abstinence btw. It's not just depreciation or risk. It's actually finding what you want, whilst being able to sell what you have for fair value. I'd like your predicament to being in a chain buying a house. You like what you have, you need to love something to change and both sides of that deal have to make sense to make it work.

• Advertisement

893 "So only shiiters suffer depreciation?"

Read my post again. I said sh1tters or otherwise heavily depreciating watches.

Advertisement