Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reporting/flagging posts

• 02-08-2021 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

So, there's an option to flag posts. If a post is flagged is there a notification sent to the mods or is it just left for them to notice it? Or rather than flagging a post should it continue to be reported.

Reason I'm asking is there is a poster trolling the "road to Tokyo" Olympics thread. I see their posts are being flagged but no action appears to have been taken.

Or is this another issue that's arisen since the migration?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yes - there is a "Flag" icon alongside "Quote! and "Like" in the bottom right hand corner of every post (desktop) or at the bottom of the post (mobile)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When I see a post that has 1 flag for abuse, or a 2 flags for spam, or whatever...what does this mean? Am I seeing mod actions, or am I seeing what users have reported as abuse/spam?

If it's the latter, am I supposed to be seeing that or is it a bug?

Even on somebody's profile, I can see that they have, for example 100 green thumbs up and 1 red exclamation mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Notmything

But if I flag a post do moderators receive a notification or is it just a meaningless gesture?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a spam queue and a moderation queue(for the abuse flags) where some posts show up. I think a post needs a certain amount of flags before it shows up there. There's a good chance only admins can see this at the moment (I wish I knew for sure but I don't) , I think you are better off reporting rather than flagging at the mo for abuse at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It would appear the “flagging of posts” system is being abused a fair bit, at the moment.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Looks like it and it's seriously putting me off using Boards. I assumed I had been given an infraction when it showed up on my profile.

It's like the system intends to publicly shame people with flags.

As if we don't have enough problems with flags in some parts of this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I have to agree, I had a flag attached to a post yesterday despite not a single abusive comment or critism of anything. My post was an observation, thoughts about an increasingly cashless society and how it will impact criminality, particularly Drug Trafficking.

There seems no right of reply albeit I do appreciate there may be a backlog on MODS reviewing these flagged posts. I further noticed I'm not alone on this particular thread, it seems the person who is somehow offended has flagged pretty much every single post, most perfectly reasonable observations.

And now to add insult to injury, 13 flags have just been added to previous posts I made on the live line thread, what is going on here? I find it hard to believe someone or persons had their morning coffee and decided to trawl through an entire thread to flag previous posts?????

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

It's outrageous,

I'm monitoring this this morning, someone/person has literally gone through all my previous posts, some weeks old and added 13 flags in less that 10 minutes. How can this be permitted. Whilst I don't fully understand the points system, these flags wipe points achieved off posters profile.

At a minimum there should be a time limit for anyone to flag a post, a real turn off this carry-on and it seems quite personal and dare I say Childish.

More “abuse” notifications on my profile. Screw this. I’m gone. Most unwelcoming forum I’ve ever used.

So a quick update. I've now gone from Zero at 7am this morning to 39 a few minutes ago. Here's the Kicker.

Some of the flags go back to posts in early June? Some of the flags are for mundane subjects as Gardening, Saorview & Tree's and bizzarely for posts we're I'm actually thanking others for their help.

Either the new system as gone haywire or someone is just being quite Malicious.

This requires urgent attention

• Advertisement

Good morning, I appreciate how busy you are but need to ask what is going on with this Flag issue, is it a systems issue?

I've gone from Zero Flags at 7am this morning and I'm up to nearly 70 now.

What is extraordinary is the fact these new flags are for posts as far back as April, some are for posts we're I'm actually thanking others or seeking advice. I initially thought someone was being Malicious but I find it hard to believe a user, sitting on their computer, trawling through 100"s of posts I've done and flagging them. Perhaps the new system has gone haywire but each of these flags needs reviewing, at this rate I'll have lost all points gained by the end of the day.

This is extremely concerning and somewhat disturbing.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"Just watched Kellie Harrington's fight there..... when she was announced as the winner, straight over to her opponent to acknowledge her, then to the other corner to the trainers, before any celebration on her part. And what a lovely post- match interview. An absolute lady of a competitor"

I've just had the above post flagged as abuse!!

I'm leaning towards the system having a breakdown, tbh.

Can anyone explain the points system to me?? Should I care that I might be losing points due to these mad flags?? I didn't even realise I was until Dempo's post above....

I'm unsure what the points mean but I presume it will go towards increasing your level.

Yes, I agree, I think the system is having a melt down, I'm now up to 80 and bizzarely for posts dating back to 2012, we're I was thanking someone.

Just extraordinary

And now this one has been flagged for abuse!!

I give up 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

I doubt too many will be able to explain much as nothing about the new system seems to make much sense. Everything is all over the place, for me anyway. And I don’t even see what points I might have though I also haven’t looked too much. Nothing about Boards is fun at the moment, it’s just frustratingly hard to manipulate.

Just an example, I've been tracking this from 7am this morning, I'm now over 100, not a great example as alot are for appreciation, thank you"s etc

You've 2 posts, this your 2nd and advising me to relax, very helpful and welcome to Boards

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

surely mods can see WHO is doing this serial flagging?

obviously its been done to disrupt their duties by having to check through so many spam flags

the fact they are going back and flagging legacy posts is extremely sad and pathetic

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I suspect it is a malicious user targeting people who are complaining about the flags in feedback for the most part, that's purely speculation on my part though as I have no way of seeing who flags posts.

I just found a setting in the admin dashboard to turn them off, I have no idea whether it will work or not.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Morning, do you mean how to stop flagging, I didn't think this would be ever an option or are you referring to notifications? I don't get them as I switched that off along time ago because of a seperate issue

The flag button now only has an option to report.

The spam and abuse flags are gone.

Well done @Mickeroo !

Wow, yes, looks like the Abuse button removed from my dashboard, Gosh, so it was a malicious attack, this is extraordinary. I wonder will they be able to return lost points?

It's a site wide option I found in the admin controls not something you can turn on and off yourself like the notifications. They should already be gone going by what a few others have said since I did it, they aren't visible on your profile anymore from what I can see there either.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

well done mick.... youre a one person whack-a-mole in here lately....

Thanks so much, I was beginning to think I'd lost the plot this morning 😂

I was editing profile and noticed a strange abuse report, logged out and back in and my god, it was like a home coming parade, the abuse clock went up and up and up.

Hopefully whatever has happened will be resolved 😊 and users profiles can be reset to where they were when this started.

In this case I basically found a big red button and pushed it, sure hope I haven't broken something somewhere else 🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement

A brave person to press a mysterious Red Button 😊😉

Advertisement