Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Approved used BMW - Minimum Life Expectation of Pads, Discs, Tyres?

Options
  • 03-07-2021 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Had to pull the trigger on a car due my own having issues so have put a deposit on a used F10 LCI 5 series BMW from a main dealer. Bar a couple of photos I couldn't actually see or drive the car as it was in for mechanical inspection but it comes with the approved BMW 2 year unlimited mileage warranty so am comfortable with this. I pulled the trigger because a couple of other 5 series from BMW garages that similarly weren't available to test drive / see because they were in for mechanical inspection sold within days of them going up online.

I had asked about the condition of the pads, discs, and tyres in terms of what might need to be done so I could factor that in to cost, but they said they couldn't give me any info until the mechanical inspection was done. They said if there was anything that needed to be done to the car it would be done.

I'm curious about what BMW's definition of "anything that needed to be done" is likely to be in terms of the life left in the pads, discs, and tyres. What would you expect as a minimum in terms of the life left in these parts from a BMW garage? If there's an estimated 6 months left on the pads are they likely to say that's sufficient to not replace them before sale? Also, how close (mileage wise) to the car needing an automatic gearbox service would you expect them to do this before I take the car?

I noticed a 3 series for sale on one BMW garage's site had Yeada tyres on it and from searching they don't seem to be a particularly well respected tyre manufacturer so was even wondering about the tyres that could end up on the car I've bought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The car's iDrive computer system will tell you at what mileage/due date interval that things like brake pads, discs and fluids are due on the car. The car will show an amber or red warning on start up if any of these are due to be changed. Dealers will have their own criteria regarding changing these things once they are inspected but generally they will ensure that the is sold without something like brake pads or fluid needing changing in the next few thousand km. Your not going to get every consumable item changed when your buy a used car but they will change them if they are approaching end of life. Same goes with tyres, they will put decent brand tyres on if the car needs new tyres so if there was Yeada tyres on it when traded in and there is plenty of thread left on them then they are not just going to replace them.

BTW I wouldn't rush into buying any car without seeing it no matter how much interest there is, there must be thousands of F10s out there for sale and there will always be another one but the used car market is like the property market at present and people are are tripping over themselves paying over the odds for cars that they haven't even seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

redsheeps wrote: »
    Also, how close (mileage wise) to the car needing an automatic gearbox service would you expect them to do this before I take the car?

I noticed a 3 series for sale on one BMW garage's site had Yeada tyres on it and from searching they don't seem to be a particularly well respected tyre manufacturer so was even wondering about the tyres that could end up on the car I've bought.

BMW claim that the gearbox is a sealed for life unit therefore doesn't need to be serviced. ZF who make the gearbox's recommend every 100,000km. Better off going to an independent to get that done anyways.

Cant see the garage entertaining anyone on tyres because of the brand. That would be the customers problem afterwards in my opinion.

I can't believe you'd put a deposit down on a car you haven't seen nor driven. Baffles me, especially for something like an F10 that you can source from pretty much anywhere.

Have you a link to a website ad or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭redsheeps

bazz26 wrote: »
    ...but generally they will ensure that the is sold without something like brake pads or fluid needing changing in the next few thousand km. Your not going to get every consumable item changed when your buy a used car but they will change them if they are approaching end of life.

Yeah I guess that's what I'm trying to factor in, whether I'll need to set aside a bit to replace them in 3-6 months as I'd do 25-30k km a year so will rack up those few thousand km quickly enough.

Same goes with tyres, they will put decent brand tyres on if the car needs new tyres so if there was Yeada tyres on it when traded in and there is plenty of thread left on them then they are not just going to replace them.
    Cant see the garage entertaining anyone on tyres because of the brand. That would be the customers problem afterwards in my opinion.

Makes sense, just wasn't sure if they'd typically be putting something more reputable on.

BMW claim that the gearbox is a sealed for life unit therefore doesn't need to be serviced. ZF who make the gearbox's recommend every 100,000km. Better off going to an independent to get that done anyways.

Ah fair enough, I must have found myself on an unofficial BMW website as I had seen the 100,000km recommendation. Have seen some posts where the auto service was done and the drivers noticed smoother journeys. If their official line is a sealed for life unit then that's not something they'll be entertaining.

BTW I wouldn't rush into buying any car without seeing it no matter how much interest there is, there must be thousands of F10s out there for sale and there will always be another one but the used car market is like the property market at present and people are are tripping over themselves paying over the odds for cars that they haven't even seen.
    I can't believe you'd put a deposit down on a car you haven't seen nor driven. Baffles me, especially for something like an F10 that you can source from pretty much anywhere.

Have you a link to a website ad or anything?

Yeah I hear you. I had been waiting on a few to come in but they kept being bought before they were in the dealers to see so felt I had to pull the trigger when one in my price range was put up. I currently have no car so I've no option. I've no ad link as it's been taken down. It was well priced in comparison to others available and the 2 year unlimited warranty from the main BMW garage gives me some comfort - from searching these forums their warranty seems to be well respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As soon as the car is prepped for resale get a good look around it before handing over the remaining money. Have a look at the condition of the brake discs by running your fingers along the edge for signs of a heavy lip formed. F10s are a heavy car, they go through brake discs quickly and proper discs are pricey enough to replace even from an independent mechanic. Also to through the vehicle service history in the car's onboard computer idrive. It's a digital service record so you can click on each record and it will list what was done at that time. You can also check the vehicle status to see the serviceable items and their next due date and mileage.

A youtube video on how to check if your not sure:

Also ask if the EGR cooler valve was replaced under recent recall, it should have been at this stage but no harm in asking to confirm as that will not be listed in the service history.

• Advertisement

As soon as the car is prepped for resale get a good look around it before handing over the remaining money.

Cheers for the link and advice, will definitely give it a good look over. From reading the BMW website on approved used cars they say they only approve cars that have the proper service history so I'm assuming all will be in order (fingers crossed).

It's interesting that they were willing to settle on a price to sell without even knowing what work was needed on it - would have thought they'd only know the value once they'd done their inspection. The eagerness of buyers probably has them flying out the door.

Probably the Cavan in me but is it bad manners to ask for a tank of diesel to be thrown in these days? I always thought it was a standard enough thing with reasonably priced cars from main dealers but my wife got a mini for €20k recently and the dealer delivered it with 1/4 tank of diesel which we thought was a bit tight. Maybe I'm the tight SOB though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Buying a used car unseen seems like madness but at least BMW approved are usually the better examples, and the approved warranty is very good.

Make sure to check the doors for corrosion, common enough on F10/F11 and usually covered under warranty if you make enough of a fuss over it.

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/130342-f10-door-corrosion/?page=23

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭appukuttan

Hi OP, I hope you got a stunning car delivered to you. Helpful if you can share the experience

I did pull the trigger and buy the car after getting to see and drive it, so it wasn't a 100% remote purchase - the deposit just kept it for me until they got it out of their own inspection. Not 100% sure on whether you may have specific questions about the process?

Car is in great condition and am happy with it personally but one person's trash is another's treasure. It's a standard model LCI (facelift) F10 5 Series - to date I've had a Highline Passat and an Elegance Superb. It is a downgrade in spec from the Superb but a massive upgrade in driving experience. I absolutely love the automatic (will never go back!), the extra bit of horsepower, and at the risk of sounding like a twat the driving experience is fantastic (though my Superb had a sh1tty 1.9 engine so a golf cart would have had more power). Had to do a 4 hour drive recently and it was super comfortable.

In terms of the process:

1. I spent time searching Boards.ie and found the BMW warranty on used cars seemed to be well regarded so focused on BMW. I considered an A6 but it looks like a bloated seal to my eye.
    2. I contacted main BMW garages with (a) model of car I wanted, (b) minimum spec of the car I wanted and (b) max price I was willing to pay. I had done a search on DoneDeal and Carzone first to get a general sense of what my criteria would cost. I informed them I was actively looking to buy and had been onto multiple garages.
    3. Pretty much immediately got some calls / emails with cars meeting the above criteria - got the sense they liked that I was clear with what I was looking for. Got some calls with cars up to €7k above what I said I was willing to pay so got a tad annoyed by some of that because they'd spend ages talking up the car to then tell me the price at the end and almost seemed put out when I said the price was out of my range.
    4. One car stood out for the upgraded interior and paint colour, so called and put a deposit on it to hold it. I was also nudged in the right direction because the salesperson said they'd be able to get a retrofit done to it to meet my criteria and would include the retrofit in the price (valued it with two other garages to check I wasn't having my leg pulled and I got quoted €700 for the retrofit).
    5. When it was out of mechanical inspection I took a spin to check it out. All was OK so went ahead with it. The car had brand new pads and discs all round, virtually brand new run flats all round (though not a top brand), and the next item to service isn't due for 12,000km.
    6. Overall I'm happy enough with the experience, particularly in comparison to my experiences dealing with Audi dealerships when buying an A5 for my wife. The absolute bullsh1t sales tactics they were pulling were comical.

And meant to add that I was also quoted a trade-in value for my Superb that was only €400 below what I bought it for 3 years ago. Yes, I know the trade-in values can be misleading because they have cars priced to make it seem like you're getting great value for the trade-in but given it had a fault that was costing me a fortune to repair I was beyond happy to just be rid of it. I did disclose the issue with the repair to them as well before they quoted on trade-in value so I wasn't pulling any BS with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement