Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for 3 young kids?

Options
  • 02-08-2021 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Would like thoughts on this situation please. Currently have an Octavia estate on PCP with about a year left to go, I've toddler-aged twins, and also have another on the way. So we're going to have three kids under the age of three. The Octavia can't take three carseats in the back so it won't be possible for the lot of us to go in the car at once. We wouldn't exactly have piles of cash lying around so I'm fairly worried about costs. I'm figuring my options are:

1. Keep the Octavia through paying it off/refinance and get something like the multimac to seat the kids. This has pros and cons I think, the multimac is very expensive and once you put it in you basically can't take it out
    2. Go for another PCP using the Octavia + cash for the deposit for something that can take 3 car seats - is there anything out there that is reasonably affordable that would suit?
    3. Get something second-hand, this is probably my least favourite option as I've just had an awful time with second hand cars but getting one from a dealer might come with a warranty I guess? Would still have to get out of the PCP so either buy out the Octavia at the end of the contract or not sure if it's possible to even trade in for second hand car.

Any thoughts on most cost effective option and what car model might suit would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Tech_Head

Have a VW Touran. It’s a 5-7 seater that has isofix on all seats.

You’ll still need to be careful with what baby seats you get as they’ll need to be quite slim to fit all three across.

You can use the 6th and 7th seat but that takes up 90% of the boot.

All cars have problems nowadays. Get a good one second hand that’s cheaper than a dealers or go to dealers and chance your luck.

Post edited by Tech_Head on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP I'd go straight to a 7 seater.

Even though you don't need 7 seats with a family of 5 having the option of two extra seats is great if you want to bring a friend or grandparent in the future.

I'd look at a Opel zafira.

It's too small to be a real seven seater (the person in the boot would be squashed) but it would do fine for 5 with the option of bringing along someone else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

We have the 5008 (2019) been bulletproof - so far

7 seats, 3 iso fix

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Have a look at the rear facing Facebook group. They have lots of three across combos for different cars. I’m saying that I’ve just changed to the 5008 for the same reason and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanks all. appreciate the input. 3 isofix seats would be ideal I guess, the twins even won't be out of isofix for a good while yet. I'll go have a look at the 5008 and think about whether I can afford one or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

+1 on the Zafira fwit

Got an 09 Zafira in 2017 and it’s still chugging. Won’t say it’s an enjoyable vehicle per se but it’s been reliable, solid and seriously flexible.

Regularly had two kids on boosters in boot seats, two isofix Maxi Cosi seats in middle row with a bigger kid in between on a booster (not every one will fit) and two adults up front.

The 1.7 diesel is frugal and reliable.

We are ready to move on and I thought I’d be rejoicing for this day but the amount of space in the Zafira has me ruined - we used the mega boot on hols to the max many a time (all round Ireland and ferry to continent) and it seems like anything less is a step down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Go big or go home op.

Best decision I ever made car wise was moving to a Ford Galaxy.

I have three young kids but love the option of two more full size seats that the grandparents or friends can use with zero concession on comfort like a lot of other so called 7 seaters.

When you don’t have the 7 seats up the boot is ginormous!

When you do have the 7 seats up you still have room for a bit of shopping etc and unlike the likes of Fords smaller option the S Max with the Galaxy you can slide the boot seats back and forward creating more boot space.

So in summary go big or go home. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

We've three kids (1, 2 and 5) and still drive our Octavia. We started with two Minikids and a Cabriofix infant seat and have now changed to a booster seat and two minikids (5 year old in booster seat). Cheapest option is probably to keep your car!!! Obviously can't use Isofix and it is a tight fit but go to the likes of Tony Kealys and they'll fit the seats properly for you with seat belts and then you don't need to change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanks a lot, we've gotten all our stuff from Tony Kealy so far so I'll give them a ring.

Advertisement