Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done Deal sellers do not showing reg

Options
  • 31-07-2021 9:25pm

Is it dodgy when done deal sellers do not show the reg or is there a genuine reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭con747

Some sellers just think if they post the reg it can be used on the same make and model car by some people up to no good like fuel thieves and burglars amongst others. It could also be to hide something though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

i've seen 2 cases in the last 6 months where DD advertised cars had their plates cloned, one was a silver A4 which was going around robbing catalytic convertors, I'd say it wouldn't exactly be fun times the Gardai coming to your door some morning to make enquiries. On the other end it's nice to see the plate to research the car. Fecked if you show it, fecked if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Saw one on Facebook marketplace and the seller had gone to great lengths to hide the plate in photos and then showed a photo of the NCT disc with the reg and mileage clear for all to see !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I had a conversation with someone recently, he was selling a car and blanked the plates, I just asked why and was told they could find his address and steal it

When I explained they couldn’t it went down a long winding story about hackers etc etc etc and it got to a stage I just told him to blank the plate becaus he wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if he didnt. Please note nothing dodgy at all about teh car which is why I was asking to show it. moral of story is people blanking the plate is not always to hide something

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just ask the seller for the reg to do a history check when talking to them on the phone about the car. A genuine seller will not have a problem with that once interest from a genuine buyer has been established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

when buying, I just ignored blank regs; unless it had a very specific high spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I remember one time a guy was selling a car in Galway with reg blanked and I asked him for the reg and he wouldn't give it but he lived across from a shop that was shown in one of the pics and I knew where it was so I said to him I could easily just go to his house and see the reg and he still didn't give it.

I just left it then and looked at other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well that's the main reason i have mine covered, but if a potential buyer wants to know i'll give it to them

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

Personally I would not show a reg number of a car I'm selling. If a genuine interested buyer pops up, then this is absolutely fine to reveal the reg number.

Where is the first place a scumbag will easily look for reg numbers from a specific model/color car to clone a plate and commit crimes? A website full of car's advertisements, of course! And it is a long road until you prove that was not your car stealing fuel or passing at a tool plaza without paying.

Advertisement