Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for present for gin lover

Options
  • 30-07-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

I know nothing about gin. I've had the odd Gordon's pink when out but that's about it. Had a look in Tesco today and liked the look of two. Which would be the best out of Hendricks Lunar and Monkey 47? Or is there a better option around that price bracket? (€45ish)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It all depends what your tastes are!

I find Hendrick's far too sweet, but it's wildly popular.

I've tried Monkey 47 once a long time ago, and seem to remember it being lovely.  It's a well-regarded brand.

For me, the more savoury gins - Gunpowder, Dingle for example are much nicer.  And there are niche ones that are really gorgeous - Béara, Nordes (really herby - don't think you can get it in Ireland, it's from Galicia in northern Spain so I've got it in duty free), Bertha's Revenge.

But that's just my taste. What does your pal usually drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

vote for the gunpowder here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

To be honest I've never really taken much notice of what gins she's into. I do remember her telling me about one with sea salt in it before, but can't recall the name. That would probably rule out the Hendricks if it's sweet. I'll look up the gunpowder one. I might ask her for some recommendations of ones I could try myself. I kind of always thought gin was gin

Béara has sea salt in it - and it's gorgeous!

Bertha's Revenge is lovely, and has a nice back story (marketing wheeze), it uses milk whey alcohol, and is named after Ireland's oldest cow - or some such story.  But it's very tasty gin as well!

Gins vary widely in taste, depends on what botanicals/flavours they use (like salt/herbs etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I think I'll go with the Beara. Not sure if it's the one she was on about before or not but at least I know she likes one with salt. Don't want to end up getting her one she doesn't like

• Advertisement

There's a lovely ceramic bottle of Gunpowder available at the moment - not sure if the gin is any different in it (any good offie will tell you) but for a present it's a bit different, and Gunpowder is lovely gin.....

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Drumshanbo%20Gunpowder%20Gin%20Ceramic%20Release

Advertisement