Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

care to address the concerns raised on the GDPR thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Please allow us to disable automatic drafts (or better ye, have it opt-in). Worst feature in the New Boards by a country mile. Especially on mobile where the "Draft saved at..." keeps popping up and obscuring where you're writing.

Nah they actually show how much server time the gold system pays for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as Odhran has alluded to, many of the problems are down to trying to exactly recreate the old Boards. But as well as creating a bunch of bugs, they've completely failed to maintain the old functionality.

Look at the desktop front page - 5 tabs like the old site, but 2 of them are useless, one is pointless and the other 2 are almost duplicates of each other

• Thanks - blank - useless
    • My Forums - in alphabetical order of the forums, so it never changes, also no indication of new posts - useless
    • My Threads - no indication of new posts, so pointless compared to Bookmarks
    • New and Trending - practically identical and no indication of new posts

The Topics link in the top header (another carry over from the old site) shows the topics in order of Category but doesn't actually show the main category names, so is a less useful duplicate of the Categories link in the new header bar.

1. Get rid of the pointless top header bar (Talk to/Topics/Regional)
    2. Add "Bookmarks" to the new header bar so its Bookmarks|Discussions|Categories|Groups
    3. Make Bookmarks the default view on the homepage
    4. For god sake enable the function to follow a Category on the Desktop site!

Having used DigitalSpy a bit the only feature I was really missing was the ability to follow a forum. Otherwise Vanilla is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭mossie

I went back to digital spy for the first time in years recently. I cannot find how to follow / bookmark a forum there either, just threads. Is this a Vanilla "feature"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

By the time boards.ie has finished with it I doubt it will be very "Vanilla" anymore. Stupid name as its used to mean "having no special or extra features; ordinary or standard".

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Can anyone confirm if the PM system is working or not?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks DaCor, I got that & the notification. 😀

So yes, it's working fine.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭archfi

100%

Frontpage should be at minimum links with an explainer for each (until till they fix the old to work with the new) My Bookmarks/My Comments/Discussions/Categories/Groups and those on the header bar throughout the site.

The follow forum button is actually there but hidden as another poster found out! There is a CSS snippet on the DIY thread reveals it.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

I don’t think we will get to a situation where the functionality of the old site is recreated.

Us users need to accept that or move on unfortunately

As was stated, the old boards was financially unsustainable so this will be a low cost option which is kind of like boards but not quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

with the gradual rollout of updates id like to see the actual version number at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 16,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Well look, that's fine, they can only do what's possible with this platform.

The irritating thing is that we were told it would look and function practically the same. After the site went live we were told things were being changed and adjusted to look like the old site.

But apparently that isn't possible. Now surely Vanilla pointed all of this out in advance? Yet, up until today we were assured changes were being made.

It looks like they were sold a pup tbh and should probably check to see what recourse they have.

that was broadly my point, in trying to recreate the old site they've broken loads of things and made something that is very user unfriendly.

they'd have been better accepting that Vanilla is different and having a site that works. Users would adapt. Sure you'd lose a few, but probably nowhere near the number that have left because of the long downtime and bugginess of the new site.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,827 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Why when I click on some threads (on mobile) does it bring me to the top of the page (like this thread) but others bring me to the first unread post (as it should be). With so many posts on each page now it's impossible to keep track.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,827 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Same on desktop lately, seems entirely random where you wind up when you click into a thread

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all

Quick update for Friday evening...

• Mobile navigation update to include Talkto, topics and regional. This will be updated again to allow deeper navigation from the menu. We are aware that regional content needs attention on both desktop and mobile.
    • Cookie and Privacy policies live. Mobile footer not displaying - this will be fixed. Desktop working. Site terms etc will be updated next week.
    • Cookie settings modal activated on both desktop and mobile
    • We have now identified 3 issues that are causing speed problems for some. Categories: Vanilla operate with under 300 as optimal and we have over 1000. We need to restructure how we organise our categories rather than removing. Groups: some are very large and not optimised which is impacting database... these will be looked at next week.
    • Follow forums on desktop will be available but it is currently at the category level. We are going to make this available at the subcategory level next week on both mobile and desktop. Follow forums is currently available on mobile via the cog - so not very discoverable. We will pull that out in into the body of post to make more accessible.

We have two more PR's queued so will have further updates next week. In addition to speed issues Mod utils will be our main priority next week. We are also looking at mobile HP view...

Thanks and enjoy the Bank holiday weekend.

Odhran

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Vanilla operate with under 300 as optimal

For real? And you are paying them for what is supposed to be an enterprise class solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

This is bad. From one restricted platform to another. What is cost vs alternatives? I see someone mention a different one on the other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Cody montana

please revert to the old format.

This is unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

Surely 300 optimal vs boards 1000 would have been discovered in testing ? Or at the very least seen in the specifications for Vanilla.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Categories: Vanilla operate with under 300 as optimal and we have over 1000. We need to restructure how we organise our categories rather than removing.

^ I mean we need to flatten our category structure - clean it up. Not remove any.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No, it sounds more like some cack handed SQL queries if it cannot handle more than 300 categories without being detrimental to the speed or are they using Access for the backend db

Seems Vanilla over promised and now under deliver

maybe you could consider removing/rationalising some of them. there's a lot of under-used forums, particularly in Regional I'd imagine, which has largely been usurped by Facebook and Whatsapp. I used to mod the Greystones forum, it's now mostly dead and should be rolled into the Wicklow forum, which is itself pretty quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A lot of forums and closed Talk To forums could probably be lumped together under 'Archive'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can we have an objective breakdown by numbers, things like total impressions per day etc., site traffic data? I know admins have summarized those types of reports in the past as a matter of interest.

On the web I found this, but it hasn't updated for July, yet, and I assume that number will show up after tomorrow night, I am curious about what to expect when the number drops - pun intended sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm still hoping for the best but I do feel a bit lost on this new site and while I'm still trying to keep posting, it's just such a long way from intuitive when it comes to finding the forums I'm interested in, and as a result I think I'm probably posting a lot less. I haven't really found any of the touted upgrades yet that are supposed to improve things, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

I joined the alternative start up Irish board and that's very simple to navigate and nicely laid out in mobile and desktop, and the posters over there are a nice bunch (lots of familiar usernames now too) but doesn't really have the forums I'm interested in yet.

So I guess what I'm saying is, at half past midnight after a crap week at work, harrumph.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Pretty dire when a client has to restructure a site that's been up for two decades instead of work being done on better database queries and caching. If they it works optimally under that amount, it means that's when their bad code starts to cause issues.

I had a similar problem on my own website and I did work on caching because telling a school their class structure wasn't suited would have been ridiculous.

A simple example would be putting the forum structure into memcache and there it stays until the forum structure changes.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

surely this should have been cleaned up before migration, I see all the Adverts links have been removed now, was surprised they made it over at all

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement