Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game improvement irons

Options
  • 30-07-2021 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi there as I am buying off the internet... need to get game improvement irons. Can't afford new / fitting etc so taking my chances with research... something like these... any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't have a handicap but am improving each time I play, perhaps around 100 now. I need reg/stiff as no issue with distance, so forgiveness is useful to me at this stage. I just don't want to get something that is too chunky! I know I can't go wrong with the below, any one there I should KEEP AWAY from ? If there are any others that I should look at please let me know. Thanks.

Mizuno jpx hot metal

Taylormade M4

Taylormade RSi 1

Taylormade p790

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Keep away from the Taylormade RSi 1 and M4 irons. All of those irons with the vertical face slots have a history of the faces collapsing. There was a thread on GolfWRX about them and there's a poster here who had the same problem. I've seen this first hand, my club has M4 irons for hire to visitors and I saw a number of them with the faces collapsed. Notably the mid irons (probably because they are used the most) were significantly collapsed. Running your finger across the face you'd feel the edge of the slot a millimetre or more higher than the face. Taylormade irons are generally very good, but not those. Speedblades or (the awfully named) Rocketbladez would be my recommendation. Below is an image of the face slots so you know which ones to avoid.

Also, I would not consider TM P790 irons to be game improvement irons. They'd be more in the low handicap range of muscle back/semi-blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Alancillhill

Ok thanks, wow never knew about that face collapse issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

They are definitly a game improvement iron, just maybe not a super game improvement. A little chunkier than my JPX Forged but similar lofts and easily as forgiving on off center hits. Certainly not semi blades

For a non chunky forgiving iron that you can pick up second hand, including older models that I've hit

Titleist AP1,AP3

Taylormade P790

Hot Metal JPX. They are a bit chunky though

On the forgivness point though, you'll only see a difference if you catch it a little off centre and it will stay in the air or get most of the way there compared to most thinner clubs. None of them will help left to right on head design alone.

It's hard to recommend a club without any more information though. Do you miss left,right,long,short? Whats your bad shot, a hook or a slice? Prefer a heavy club or a lighter one?

Different weight shafts can really change how a club feels and can mess with timing. The different manufactors also have different standard lies which can calm or exacerbate your miss depending

I'd find out what length and lie works for you at least before buying a club or you can do like I did and end up changing every few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

They were my RSi’s which the faces collapsed, first set only lasted a few months and fill set was replaced. The 7 iron of the new set collapsed after a few sessions on the range. They were withdrawn from the market fairly quickly after as well - lots of other players had the same issues.

I was given the first set of M2’s for Ireland by Taylormade and have no bothers with them at all since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Can't go wrong with Wilson D7s or the newer D9s.... really good value. Only issue is the lofts are mad...5 iron 21 degrees! At least you'll be the envy of your mates when you are hitting a 7 iron 180 yards!

I remember discussing it with you by PM at the time. Glad the M2s worked out for you. But as I said above, same problem with the M4s that I have seen for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Had the D7 Forged. Theyre good value and plenty of club for the money, but are not forgiving clubs and wouldn't recommend them for a player shooting atound the 100 mark. I'm a 9.2 index and struggled with them.

Out of the middle they did fly, but anything off centre dropped off significantly for me.

The p790 would probably be best described as a players game improvement alright, not quite blades, not quite game improvement. Relatively neat head and fairly workable, but very forgiving on the off-centre hits.

The JPX range are a good bet and the Callaway Mavriks are rocket lauchers and very easy to hit

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Alancillhill

thanks all,

So went with JPX hot metal from Mizuno, really good set on Adverts.ie.

Delighted with them. I hit good distance anyway, and pattern wise I am a little inconsistent. These are perfect for now. Giving plus 15 yards on each club BUT the lofts are reduced from what I have already. ie. the PW is 45 degree and my old ones was 48 degree etc.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Srixon ZX4😍 - These need to in your mind as a game improvement iron

They are in a similar space to the P790's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Cobra Baffler irons are very forgiving.

Advertisement