Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing a parking/rear camera

• 29-07-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a Skoda Octavia automatic 2nd hand, petrol. I'd like the parking cameras but only 1 I've seen so far has this (it's the style package). One option could be to get someone to install a camera(s) for rear view (and possibly slight side view).

Anyone know how good these are & roughly what cost?

Thanks,

Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What year are you looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

2015 up, have my eye on a 2017 that has reversing surround camera but would prefer if it had slightly lower mileage (115km)

I DIYd mine. I reckon it cost me €50 all in and a good few hours labour.

Alba Automotive can also retrofit one for you, check for pricing.

And how do you find it? Recommend it?

I'm in Galway btw so would find somebody here to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hi Colm, was it a complete kit you got? I mean camera, cables etc and screen? Or did you intergrate in into the existing system camera and cables only?

• Advertisement

It was an almost complete kit I got, so it came with

camera itself which replaces the boot switch

electrical wiring for the camera which I connected to the wiper motor

AV cable that runs to the glovebox from the camera

what it didn’t come with was the pins you need to add to the multi plug on the back of the headunit in the glovebox. I ended up buying a patch cable from VW to solve this, but you can actually buy the correct adaptor for a few € online and saves you a lot of money and hassle.

You also need to enable rear view camera on the headunit. I did this with obdeleven.

Hi Colm,

Thanks for the info. One last question

How much roughly would it cost for the equipment and installation?

Thank Colm. I presume you used the wiper motor for power supply, and the vehicle was from the VAG Range? And you integrated it into the existing factory set-up?

Well done !!! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's a complete guide to how to install them with photos on Briskoda.net, with a link to the cameras on AliExpress. The cameras linked to don't need coding or a additional pins or cables or wire it to a power supply, they're plug and play and plenty over there bought and used them without issue, I think it stopped working for one person. Just make sure the headunit is compatible, there's a guide to which are in that thread too.

I followed it and everything is covered in that thread. Biggest killer is threading the cable to the glove box so I recommend you get trim remover tool and either a cable threading kit or something homemade that's similar. I think someone also linked to a youtube video in there that showed how to thread the wiring from the boot to the glovebox.

How To - Reverse Camera Fitting Guide - Skoda Octavia Guides - BRISKODA

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, sorry!

yeah I used the original screen and used the wiper as power.

car is a 15 Octavia.

Thanks Hurrache and Colm, very informative posts.

Well done !!!😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Ask Skoda a price to fit an OEM model - it may not cost much more than an aftermarket one fitted. Just so you know where you stand price wise.

If you decide to go with aftermarket - what ever you do turn off the guidance lines. It's very unlikely they're be correct, and will actually mislead you as opposed to help. The OEM cameras are calibrated in the factory for every single car, so the reversing lines match up exactly where your car should go.

The parts alone for the OEM are over €600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Plus Skoda tend not to fit them anyway, they'll refer you to a 3rd party that they use for installations, at quite a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭thebackbar

@dinneenp just wondering did you get the camera added? How much did it cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭zg3409

This thread is 2 years old start a new one. Price depends on car and who does the install.

Advertisement