Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take down & rebuild hay shed.

• 28-07-2021 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hello

I've been thinking about taking down a seven Bay hay shed and transporting it two miles and rebuilding it. Anyone know of the costs involved? Roscommon area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t know anything about the costs involved but it is a job I’ve done with lads a couple of times. The advice I would give is to prepare well for it. Draw a sketch of the shed yourself and take accurate measurements of the distances between every pillar. Mark that on the sketch. Then as the shed is being dismantled number every sheet as it comes down and stack them in order. Again mark on your sketch where the numbers correspond to.

Basically the simplest way to rebuild it is to put everything back up in exactly the same order and position as it came down and that will make the job a whole lot easier.

Best of luck with it, 7 bays is a fine size shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

Thanks for replying. How did u dig up the uprights? The shed went up in the 80s and was added to down the years. So some of the uprights were placed in a hole and then it was filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Tileman

The uprights are usually just cut off at ground level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭148multi

Lift them after shed is dismantled, with the lift arm of a tractor, your looking at the guts of a grand worth of steel. The lump af concrete that's around them will break up, if your having problems, cut a line through the concrete in line with the h iron at opposite sides

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I’ve never done one but lining up the holes on the roof sheets can be the hardest part to get right, tube of silicone might be needed to block old holes. Let us know how it goes.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Got it taken down and transported for €1,800.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How much to re-erected. That is a very good price( half or more than I would expect) to take it down and transport.

Was being quoted 2k for labour alone to erect a lean-to onto a two bay shed last year and I then could not get him to do it.

Slava Ukrainii

It will be rebuilt over the summer. He will do a price for me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If I was doing it, I'd get a laser level and mark all the uprights at about eye level. That would be a great help when lining them up again. No small job taking down and rebuilding a shed like that.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Good loser

Have a 50/60 year old round roof shed. 3" angle iron purlins on steel frame. Sheets secured with many J bolts.

Would like to replace roof sheets and maybe do more. Any advice? What are prospects that angle iron is okay.

Would it be done off scaffolding or off hoists?

Advertisement