Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety Razors etc

• 07-02-2020 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭

After THAT gillette ad and just not wanting to pay silly money I've being trying different razors

Mostly Aldi/Lidl, even tried razorpit for the gillette I did use before the ad and deals on blade's ran dry

But see a lot about safety Razors etc coming up and seen videos on YouTube and actually looks OK. From one video sounds like it will help with my sensitive skin that takes little to cut /rash etc

Is there a go to set or handle and blades to get and see how if works out? Then if need be upgrade in time

Thanks for any help etc

Comments

I made the move over 10 years ago.

I will be honest in that it did take some time in personalizing the shaving process, and there were some cuts, so make sure and get a Styptic stick incase.

Though, I would never go back and I shave every day with a DE every morning.

I use Proraso soap and I have the same brush (I know I should change) and I am using a Merkur ( which is my second razor) along with Feathers (1st) or Derby (2nd choice) blades with a splash of Proraso after shave.

The benefits are cost, and I believe better skin.

The Proraso range are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Have a read of this thread where there's a discussion and recommendations over at shaving.ie. Keep a lookout for links to vids too.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057855008

If you have any questions let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

I asked manly stuff and shaving.ie on Facebook messenger today

Manly stuff couldn't go enough, shaving.ie seen it and never replied

As I said to Sean i think I've given up on the idea. All I can see is need brush, Cup, soap, before after cream etc

I can justify the cost of razor as make it back on blades in time

But not into the idea of creams soaps brush etc etc

Well that's my argument in the linked thread is to stick with whatever foam/gel you like. Changing to a new razor, technique, and finding the right blade that works for you is plenty to start with and will get you the majority of the benefit by having a cheap and therefore sharp razor for a smooth shave.
    always had shave rash for decades and then swapped to DE. i change my blade every 3 shaves. good lather + light touch + sharp blade = no irritation. No need to get a brush and soaps to start out. Just keep the gel you like and swap in the last razor you'll need to buy and a blade sampler pack to find which works best for your face.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-r89-classic-razor.html
    https://www.shaving.ie/products/two-of-a-kind-de-blade-sample-pack.htmll
    coupon code: boards.ie

You can also check out this site which offers some good cheap options like:

https://connaughtshaving.com/rrment.html
    https://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html

Well that's my argument in the linked thread is to stick with whatever foam/gel you like. Changing to a new razor, technique, and finding the right blade that works for you is plenty to start with and will get you the majority of the benefit by having a cheap and therefore sharp razor for a smooth shave.

You can also check out this site which offers some good cheap options like:

https://connaughtshaving.com/rrment.html
    https://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html

That's what pulls me back in, the cost of the blade compared to even a lidl aldi etc

Suggested astra blades today so I'm guessing good for beginners.
    Don't think I'd want to have loads to try and try and decide what's best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

jeffk wrote: »
    That's what pulls me back in, the cost of the blade compared to even a lidl aldi etc

Don't think I'd want to have loads to try and try and decide what's best

I use Astra blades I like them - and stopped looking any further.

I use this soap Taylor of Old Bond St Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl
    This brush Semogue 1305 Shaving Brush
    This razor Chrome Razor and Brush Stand

Job done. Never going back to disposables or cartridges. Better shave. Clearer skin. The soap will last about 4 or so months. A pack of blades (100) about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I made the switch to Safety razor about a year go and it was the best decision ever.

I used to get red bumps on my neck which was caused by ingrown hairs . This was caused by years of crappy razors .now my skin is perfect .

I would recommend getting a good quality shaving cream . I use Taylor’s and it’s a very nice product to use . I see one poster mention Porazo earlier which is fine but when you use the likes of Taylor’s you will see the difference in quality .
    My other main tip is get a good quality brush . Don’t get the 10e brush you see in the shops , it’s hard and just pushes the shaving lather around rather than into your beard . Research it and buy the best you can afford . It was last a lifetime.

Also get a good quality preshave . Again the Taylor’s one is what I use . Tried the porazo one and the smell is very harsh . Taylor’s nice discreet smell .

It will take a bit of practice but you will find your grove after a while , expect a few nicks at the start !

I would totally recommend going for it . Your shaves will be better AND save money on blades !

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I asked manly stuff and shaving.ie on Facebook messenger today

Manly stuff couldn't go enough, shaving.ie seen it and never replied

As I said to Sean i think I've given up on the idea. All I can see is need brush, Cup, soap, before after cream etc

I can justify the cost of razor as make it back on blades in time

But not into the idea of creams soaps brush etc etc

Depends on your motivation . But all I can say is that there is a huge difference in the quality of the shave .
    If you want smoother shaves, better skin and no in growing hairs then safety razor is the way to go.
    If you are happy enough then no need to switch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I think the Astra blades are quite forgiving. I did try a sample pack a while back (years) and I ended up looking like I'd slaughtered a pig. Astra do the job and that's grand so.

All the stuff I listed is good enough for me, and certainly better than cartridges.

Thanks for everyone who took the time and effort to give information

Looking likely I'll end up trying it after all, thanks to posts I can get a razor (with long handle as have shovel hands) and 10 blades for around 23

I'd say 10 gillette etc blades alone cost much more than that, plus if goes to plan can then buy in bulk increasing savings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I see Tesco have started to stock this Wilkinson Sword safety razor :

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=301831685

nc6000 wrote: »

A day too late for me lol

I wonder if they will sell the blades separate and are they even any good :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I got a gift of a Muhle razor and brush two years ago and it was probably one of the best gifts i've ever gotten. Have saved a fortune on disposable razors or poxy gillette blades.

Good soap is a must .. but it lasts for a long time. I got an 'Art of Shaving' Sandlewood soap last year in New York for about 30 dollars and it is still going strong and feels great !

nc6000 wrote: »

I wonder if they will sell the blades separate and are they even any good :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Some chemists have the packs of blades. I don't know where you are but Matt ó Flahertys in Galway sell them. They are only €2/€3 for 10

Bullocks wrote: »
    Some chemists have the packs of blades. I don't know where you are but Matt ó Flahertys in Galway sell them. They are only €2/€3 for 10

In Dublin

Must keep an eye out in chemist's, save on postage

You get mixed results in Boots, Tesco, and some pharmacies for carrying safety blades. Some people find WS quite good.

You said you didn't want to arse with different blades above. The reason I suggested a sample pack is because different blades fit the angles of various razor heads different (hold at different angle, aggressiveness, etc). Also your technique, beard coarseness, etc might make one blade feel more comfortable than another.

You mentioned Astra which for me were a great beginner blade for the 89 (I found the included derby blades to be rubbish). I went from astras to 7 o'clocks, to polsilvers, then feather which are very sharp. Then I discovered russian voskhods which were a bit less aggressive than feathers. But then I changed razors and everything I knew went out the window and I quickly found personna blue worked best with my vintage razor.

So if you are getting one too many nicks or feel your shave could be better you might reconsider trying a few brands before buying in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭timetogo1

In Dublin

Must keep an eye out in chemist's, save on postage

You can get them on amazon too. I got 100 blades for about a tenner a couple of years ago. I'm only half way through the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

If you want soap that will last you ages, get some Mitchels wool fat soap. Youll have it for at least 12 months or longer..

Just in fairness to say shaving. Ie did reply today

• Advertisement

Package arrived sometime today (post man decided to leave in porch without ringing the bell)

Very surprised with first shave, nervous but didn't cut myself THAT bad, one or two big ones under bottom lip and then loads of little ones. Not soar and blood pouring out, so hopefully with practice wont happen

Used the astra blade, there was as hard plastic box of 10 made in Israel in the package and a box of 10 Derby extra in the handle box

Thanks again for the help

No harm watching a few vids for tips rather than us type them. Check out the series from the master himself. These crusty videos have probably taught thousands to shave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufG1dPmVo8Q&feature=youtu.be&t=293

An alum block can be very useful when learning your technique. A great feedback tool, the sting lets you know where you need to improve (watch your angles, no pressure!) while also stopping bleeding and acting as an antiseptic. Leave it on for 30 seconds or so and then rinse off. Then try a soothing shave balm.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/omega-alum-tube-stick.html

Feel free to ask more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, my first few shaves were pretty underwhelming in hindsight. Patchy enough.

Watching videos and plenty of practice paid dividends quickly. You can do practice leathers without shaving as well. The lather is key and takes practice.

Yeah, my first few shaves were pretty underwhelming in hindsight. Patchy enough.

Watching videos and plenty of practice paid dividends quickly. You can do practice leathers without shaving as well. The lather is key and takes practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hey folks,

Literally just found this thread. Im about to make the jump into the Safety Razor world as Im tired of paying out for the regular blades.

Ill be looking through the recommendations here for a good setup for Sensitive skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hey guys,

Thoughts on this set? https://www.shaving.ie/products/the-basic-essentials-sensitive-safety-razor-starter-kit-v2.html

Ive really sensitive skin with a bit of rosacea so need something that my skin can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I’d go for a different brush. That’s a huge stiff brush. Get the boar Semogue instead or a Badger brush.. Otherwise fine kit. I’d recommend the Polsilver Iridium blades long term but they appear to be out of stock at the moment.

That's an awful brush. I have it in my own collection but it took ages to break in and the smell took a long time to dissipate. Hard to beat badger, especially if you require softness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

I bought the Henson AL13 mild and its by far the mildest razor I have used. There's plenty of youtube videos on this razor. I've had no irritation or cuts with Astra or Derby blades.

https://hensonshaving.com/products/aluminum-al13-1?variant=32799794528336

Its hard to get, with only one EU agent who doesnt ship to Ireland, unless you know someone in a country they do ship to;

https://www.scheersalon.nl/scheren/scheermes/safety-razor?manufacturer=51de69aa554a462bba390e2fadb72e8d&order=price-asc&p=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sorry for bumping this thread but Amazon now sell these razors.

I’ve recently taken back up DE shaving after not having great experience with it a few years back and giving up too early.

Some real bargains out there, I’ve bought another brush, two more razors(including a Henson medium) and lots of shaving creams.

Im finding face lathering the best solution for me. I’m still trying to settle on blades. The Astras that come with the Henson are surprisingly sharp while the Gillette King C blades with the King C razor are very forgiving although very mild also.

the Henson razor does have the advantage of having a naturally correct angle due to the design of the head. The one minus is it’s weight and length. It’s very light and very long for a DE razor so it can feel like a cartridge razor in the hand and you subconsciously use it like one instead of the discipline of a DE razor.

Advertisement