Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosing gun hose length

Options
  • 26-07-2021 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Bought a new hook dosing gun today. The hoses between gun and hook, and gun and dosing bottle are 6 feet each. Tested it with some water there and there is a lot of hose to pump through. I was thinking of shortening each hose to around 3 feet. It should leave me enough length to hang it above me and reach into cattle. Just asking before I got cutting the hose, in case I am making a mistake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I bought one of those about 2 yrs. ago. I shortened the hose. I only used it once and found it awkward. I may have given up too easily - others on here may have fared better.

A njphilips all in one gun is much easier to use.

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Phillips-Automatic-Drencher-60ml/9056825

Post edited by Lime Tree Farm on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I have one, find them very handy for dosing, I can see what you think, but wouldn't shorten the hose from the gun to the hook, but yes you couldn't shorten the one from the bottle to the gun, it can be a bit long. But you need the reach on the hook when trying to dose bullocks / cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I have one here too no good for sucklers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Everything here bought in gets levefas diamond. Need to give up to 100-120ml at times. It’s a nuisance with a normal dosing type syringe as it has to be filled twice.

any suggestions for a suitable type gun that holds this amount?

This one works well for large doses up to 150 ml.

After use wash & dry, spray the plunger with silicon spray. It will be easier to operate, the rubber on the plunger needs to be lubricated.

Shop around, you should be able to buy one locally for 35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Theirs a similar one, that has more of a plastic barrel covering the triggers that always took my two hands to use. Granted tho I never looked after it with silicone and such.

The food grade silicon spray is around 16 euro online plus p&p. Keep a look out for silicon spray from Aldi/Lidl, 3 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Is the hook end not an essential?? Just means that you don’t have to catch the animal

Advertisement