Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Anyone having trouble posting Tweets today? Was able to post a few yesterday without bother, but today I'm given a message reading, "Body is 1 character too short".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Okay, couldn't post a YouTube video there either (different thread/forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I wasn't trying to post links, but I got that message a couple of times today when trying to post a comment - had no idea why so just kept trying until it worked, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How do you actually put a comment in a quote box, what is the code?

The "quote" function on the editor is useless, no good for quoting more than one line of text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

@Sierra Oscar

Line one

Line two

Line three

Ctrl+A and chose quote thingy.

Post edited by joujoujou on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

site quicker this afternoon? pages loading in about half the time they were earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

First question will they be rolling back the site? Hate the new layout and can't get used to it.

Failing that I used to use boards to go in and check on My Threads daily and when I logged in I would see a number in top right that highlighted how many of my threads had a new post since I last clicked into that thread. Is this totally gone now? I have rarely used the site since makeover as can't get to like it but whenever I do go into My Threads it is just a list but I have no clue as to if there is new posts I haven't read or what, just a dated mess really..

Pity as used to be a regular on boards but can't see that continuing anymore.

The time seems to be stuck on GMT. It's showing all posts an hour behind to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭con747

Taking 12-15 seconds to load a page on desktop.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

there is no chance of a rollback. it isn't just an interface change. the backend has changed as well. they would probably lose every post since the migration if they rolled back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

much quicker for me now - maybe 3 seconds when it was previously taking up to 10. It's still not super quick but it's useable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Couple of seconds for me - so the problem must be your side

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Is anyone finding that the screen wobbles (don't know the technical term) when scrolling on a mobile in some threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

Seems quicker on desktop anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭con747

Only happens on this site, any others are instant loading. Mobile is only a couple of seconds loading.

I have the jelly screen as well on some pages, it compresses the post and wobbles like jelly for a couple of seconds on desktop.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I've added comments on the GDPR discussion here:

Really strange stuff, but this hasn't added that thread to the 'Latest Posts' list on the homepage. This thread and others in Feedback show on that list when a comment is added, but not the thread where many concerns regarding GDPR and users personal data are being discussed. That's very, very odd behaviour, wouldn't you agree? See for yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭noplacehere

People really don’t seem to be aware of that then, someone signed their real name 🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

ignore this. seems to be a bug rather than a feature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Takes about 3 to 5 seconds to load a page for me. It's much slower than it used to be. In saying that sometimes it may be 2 or 3 seconds.

Maybe something going on in the background with the loading time differences. No chance of a roll back, surely. The front and back end all changed to what seems to be servers located on Mars

My own user experience after trying to use it for a few weeks is it's barely any better. Loading the page on mobile takes a few seconds with no useful information immediately available. You gota hit that tiny space that is your avatar located in an awkward spot on your mobile screen, and then click the notifications for a thread you have engaged in, which takes another second to load. After that you might have to scroll down for a while all the way to the end to read the new post if you haven't already seen the last post. You get to the end of the thread then have to scroll back up to your profile photo to see the other 100+ notifications that are impossible to manage and start the whole process again of clicking your profile photo, loading another notification and checking out another thread.

If you go back a page on mobile, it's a mystery tour as to where you will eventually end up.

I hate to keep going back to the old way of doing things, but on the old system I bookmarked the main page that I needed which loaded in about a second. It had all the info I needed with a glance, loaded to the correct thread and comment in a second, and going back a page loaded exactly where I left off. New posts and threads available instantly and fast.

I'm sure I'll get used to the new way but the amount of effort and time to navigate around is tedious. I don't think I've even posted much at all because I just can not be bothered with the effort on mobile. Desktop is more manageable to be fair and this is a posting from that

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have a feeling this has been mentioned before, but I've just experienced it myself now and it's a monumental PITA.....

Desktop site

On a fast-moving thread, if I do a post and wait for it to load, it appears as the last post on the thread, as if I'm the next/only person to post.  However, if others have posted and pressed submit before me, their posts will not appear - I have to refresh the whole page to see posts that have been made since I started composing mine.

Given the 8-10 seconds it's taking for my post to appear, and another 8-10 seconds for the whole page to refresh, this makes a hames of trying to keep up with chatty threads.

Speed of page loading is a HUGE problem, and this just adds to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

On the mobile site, I only have speed issues with the My Bookmarks page and the My Bookmarks pop-up page. It takes 6-10 seconds to load these. Everything else loads in 1-2 seconds. It's a lot better than last week but it is a little annoying since My Bookmarks is what I use the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Yep. Apart from the almost complete absence of new posts on any of the threads I've been following, this false no-new-posts thing would be the main reason now why I've more or less completely migrated to The Other Forum, where (amongst other simple-but-useful features) I get a prompt if there have been any new posts in the time it's taken me to write my own. Now that there's a few hundred chatty folk over there, it's possible - and enjoyable - to have a proper discussion without having to go looking for workarounds

The CSS hacks and How-To Guide is all very well, but I just can't be bothered with all the messing around on here, the desperately slow loading of pages, and the totally incomprehensible features - like all those icons that hide one single option (e.g. the three-dots to get to Edit, or the cog-wheel to get to Dismiss) ... so I haven't flounced off in a huff, but don't need to spend time here when there's a better user experience to be had Over There.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How do I search for my previous posts?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

On Mobile you can go into View Profile and scroll to the very bottom, you'll see an option called Comments which shows all your posts. Not sure how to do the same on desktop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any chance of drop down menus?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What's the story with the help desk? Where have all the threads gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

Possibly already answered but I can't get my head around the new format. Haven't looked at the site much since the change. The desktop site seems similar in appearance but how do I see trending and latest posts on android?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

Any update this evening from Odhran or any boards admin?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement