Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Really positive move and will allow Ireland to lead in the field of freedom of expression giving a voice to those without one.

Can't think of a better candidate than Katherine, with all the work she has done in both the Marriage Equality and Repeal the 8th referendums.

The fact that she is now based in the US means we don't have to send one of our civil servants abroad needlessly. Great bargain at 15k too. Personally I wouldn't scratch myself for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

who does she want to lecture on human rights on behalf of Ireland?

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Matthew 7:1–5 KJV

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

apparently its a a special taxpayer-funded role.. you couldnt make this stuff up ....oh sorry she did... lord save us....honestly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

In what way? What will she be doing on our behalf?

I find it odd that the very government responsible for blocking information on the Mother and Baby homes while overseeing a whitewash sham report created such a position, even if Zappone asked for it.

As regards the quality of "candidate", we'll never know when people are gifted a position in a vacuum.

Let's hope she doesn't take the Fianna Fail and Fine Gael lead of claiming fraudulent travel expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

All parties and independents have an issue with expenses.

The problem is it's just an out of the blue appointment without any obvious process for selection other than at the whim of a minister. We've too many non-processes like this. There should be a reasonable, and efficient, way of going through candidate selection. At the very least it should have been a created post, then put out for anyone to apply.

She may be eminently experienced and qualified for the role, I'm not arguing that, but the process is flawed, or rather there isn't a process at all.

So FF and FG councillors didn't charge for two different all day seminars on the same day in different parts of the country? Otherwise I don't get your point.

Zappone will be the only one able to charge international flights I'd imagine, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Calculated move on the part of Varadkar/Coveney to make Martin look weak. And it's worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

I'd love to make up a job for myself in a country I dont live in and be appointed to it and paid for it.

now I will wake up and go to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure she will find a roundabout way to get to the job also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

FFG & Greens seem to be doing everything possible to give SF a majority in the next GE

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭HerrKapitan

The job title doesn't reference supporting or being anti freedom of speech.

My point is all parties and independents have problems with dodgy expenses. As I already posted on this thread the government needs to introduce a proper expenses tool to stop dodgy expenses.

No idea what your point is on international flights? I expect all TD's can fly on international flights, why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

All of this for a role for around €20 ph ,she previously did a decent enough job as minister and thousands of women owe there jobs to her and her partner getting back to education and the workplace when others just ignored them in tallaght and further afield

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Journalists will be busy filing FOIs on this appointment. The approaches from Zappone and the case made for the appointment will be of great interest. That is of course if there is a paper/email trail - which would be of further embarassment if there wasn't.

So not related to the thread, just an aside.

If they are fiddling, as they are prone to do in FF/FG, flights would really hit the pocket as compared to petrol money up to Donegal etc.

While it makes Martin look an ass, I think it further damages Varadkar's reputation as a law unto himself with a disregard for accountability and not being a team player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Dodgy expenses are dodgy expenses. Doesn't matter if it is 5 euro or 5000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Considering her shambolic stint as minister for children i think its absurd she is being rewarded in this way.

• Advertisement

It does if you're the one paying them. They aren't paid for by magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Jobs for the boys alive and well it seems. Read that Paschal Donoghue said her salary would equate to that of a "middle management role" in the civil service. No idea how much that is but it surely must be more than the 12-13k being bandied about as the salary for KZ's new role. Also read that the job will focus on freedom of opinion and expression "to provide high-level engagement on a small number of established Irish human rights priorities".. does anyone know what that's all about?

I don't remember anything specifically shambolic about her term as minister for children, but maybe old age making me forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Whatever she’s getting, I’ll do it for half that.

Nobody seems to know, even people commenting on how great the appointment is. I would guess Coveney might but Varadkar probably doesn't, certainly not Martin.

We have Astronaut Chris Hadfield as a tourism ambassador and Daniel Mulhall is the Irish Ambassador in the states, so what's Zappone covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The claim is she'll be doing 60 days work for the 15k, plus expenses (natch).

What exactly she'll be up to is the fun part. It is claimed that the whole thing was her idea, and Zappone never struck as one with a burning passion for freedom of speech matters, so what the hell is she going to be doing rolling around the world with the imprimatur of the state? What's was the business case / diplomatic case made for having her horsing around telling the world about freedom of speech of all things? It's beyond ridiculous.

Are you saying you think it is ok for TD's to submit dodgy expenses once it is below a certain level?

You seem to be dismissing fiddling based on others doing it too. I'm not. You said there's no difference between 5 or 5,000. I disagree. Fiddling plane fares would be worse than fiddling petrol money IMO. Both bad, one worse. As I said I hope she doesn't take the FF/FG lead in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Looks like Leo is getting the ole sex in the city crew back together again. Didn't he also appoint Breege O'Donoghue to the hand crafts council too after she quit the board failte gig for traveling abroad during the pandemic.

• Advertisement

As per all my posts all dodgy expenses should be treated the same. The amount makes no difference. Anyone who is submitting dodgy expenses should be fired on the spot, which is what would happen if you work in a company.

As I posted all parties and independents seem to have an issue with dodgy expenses, this needs to stop. You are back to the same tactic of dishonest posting so will leave you to it.

Advertisement