Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY Desktop Site Customisation - Use at own risk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

okay then 😂

Might I suggest adding a pastebin link to any code, it is unreadable without formatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The amount of time we've spent fixing the unfixable we could have probably built the whole thing from scratch and actually be working

Have only spent about an hour or so with it. Can't see any point in getting into any deeper customisation as the issues will probably be fixed soon enough. If it is looking like it will be longer than 1 month for fixes I might look further. The only thing I miss is my threads being unbolded when there is no more new posts, and the page being defaulted to my threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Something has changed since morning, post text bearelly readable like dimmed by background color

Quick fix to the now broken breadcrumps box on the homepage.

.homepage-tabs {

border-bottom: 1px solid #b7b7b7;

padding: 35px 0 9px;

color: #2e4a80;

}

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Everything looks fine for me although I'm using an extension for the dark mode. I'm actually getting used to the look of it now so hopefully any fixes they make don't botch things up too badly.

@Ads by Google - did you decide to upload your theme that time or still holding off? I'd be interested to test it out. Is it possible to alter the colours used?

@Andrew76 notice they have added "Link" font color (hell! ,light blue no bold)

.atMention as per screenshot has my mod to be amber - still works as i type this comment but no longer once posted - all links are light blue.

in comment box text stay as set to #dadcde, but as soon is posted its just black(v dark) .My mod is broken :(

Hide breadcrumbs on homepage move tabs up slightly. You should target the boards homepage url only as it may hide breadcrumbs otherwise. In stylus you set the url to "URLs matching the regexp" not sure if other extensions have similar options.

.BreadcrumbsBox {

visibility: hidden;

}

.homepage-tabs {

border-bottom: 1px solid #b7b7b7;

padding: 22px 0 9px;

color: #2e4a80;

}

• Advertisement

good god, how easy all this stilling thing should be for one who has some understanding in CSS.

Managed to recover my font color issue since they moded something, discovered how to highlight read/unread threads/forums/user profiles

Either boards have some serious problems and have no time for this or they have dev with coding experience as mine

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Something has changed in the breadcrumbs/background. They are now back down a bit on the page. Ive tried adjusting the px height but still the same :/

Styling? Hard part is actually pushing the update. Wouldn't make much sense making a single adjustment and pushing that to a live state. So multiple adjustments are merged into the repository, usually test parameters would need to pass as a whole. Can't test for user customisation so it is a massive corner case that won't be seen when testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Sorted it - I had somehow duplicated it in the code. 🤨

Shouldn't need that custom code now, it has been added site wide. If you surround the block of code with comments " /**/ " it will disable what it is surrounded

/* this comment */

this is not commented out /* this is {

this is also commented out

and this

and this

and this

} */ but not this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Guys, I'm lost.

Since last Odhran's post mentioning few fixes and tweaks, including:

Made the navbar and breadcrumb section sticky so users should be able to navigate back to parent forum easier.

Header remains static (scrolls away with the page) but breadcrumbs keep annoying me in front of my eyes. I just set .BreadcrumbsBox to visibility: hidden, but it removes it completely, and I'd like to keep it stuck just below header, regrettably I don't know how. Here's my current setup if you have a while to enlighten me what I messed up. :-(

Thanks. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Can anyone tell me what I can currently paste into style bot to make this more civilised looking? Do i just go with something from the early posts or does it still work?

Unregistered Users

Sorted it somehow. Set .BreadcrumbsBox to

position: static !important;

margin-top: 0 !important;

margin-bottom: 0 !important;

and it works (so far). ;-)

However, forgot to mention, last 2-3 days noticed page numbers where thread are displayed (like on screens below):

Are non-clickable.

They become clickable once I disable custom style (the very one attached above).

Anyone any idea?

Thanks.

Edit: How on earth one can delete attachment!?!?!?!? :-O

@joujoujou just click the attachment and a bin icon should pop up when editing.

You can just delete or comment out that breadcrumb code as mentioned above. It is not needed anymore, has been fixed.

• Advertisement

So let me get it straight

They said this platform will allow them to make changes "painless" , but it seams it doesnt. Not that i claim i do understand what the issue was before and i dont pretend i do whats now. If me, three days reading and testing some minor coding tweaks, with help of all good people here and on G search, able to customize this site to my liking(almost) then what it takes them to NOT do it in three weeks ?

Sorry for gripe, back to code discoveries as they might have "fixed" something again 😀

Anyone using dark shades for background? does post text went bonkers since last night?

i worked out by:

p, ul, ol {

background: inherit;

color: #dadcde;

}

as it appear to me they enforced black font color

@joujoujou i have loaded yours. I had same little niggle you appear to have on your code allowing text to roll behind reaction buttons. If you add this into your code it wont

.Reactions {

position: relative !important;

float: right !important;

}

Does anyone get this "artifact" effect on the site, like something in the background. it only visible in dark setup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the breadcrumb links float 'an inch' from the top of the screen in latest firefox

Unregistered Users

It is not popping up. Tried with/without custom css, with/without other addons I have installed. Nope. :-(

Is it not needed? Both header and breadcrumbs remain visible on top of the page all the time without that code and that's not what I need.

Sorted, thank you.

Actually, thanks everybody for help. Any ideas about non-clickable pages links?

@joujoujou Any ideas about non-clickable pages links?

It was working OK with your CSS loaded . 🤨 on stylus, FF

Edit: i see now, its "bookmarks" page, might be some other - not only your code issue

As workaround you can add /p# to the end of url to proceede to that page number

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

@joujoujou Is it not needed? Both header and breadcrumbs remain visible on top of the page all the time without that code and that's not what I need

Is it that you want to scroll and it disappears?

position: static; or absolute as opposed to fixed or sticky

https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_positioning.asp

Unregistered Users

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted. Need no room to be permanently taken by stuff I can easily access hitting "Home" key. Sorted now, thanks.

Yeah, I figured out the workaround, thanks.

To summarise the issue - the problem is with a CSS I uploaded above, and it only appears on the pages with a list of threads (and, obviously, if there's more than one page of threads, for example My Subscriptions, but also any category with multiple pages full of threads). If I'm on the page like this one we all are on now (a multipage thread) pages links are clickable.

Newest Opera on win7 Ultimate 64bit. Tested with custom CSS enabled - no clickety click for me. Tested with CSS disabled - all multipages thingys suddenly become clickable.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Update.

Replacing current PageControls rule with

.Content .PageControls {
     display: flex;
      -webkit-box-align: center;
      align-items: center;
      flex-wrap: wrap;
      -webkit-box-pack: justify;
      justify-content: space-between;
      margin-bottom: 0px;
    }

makes bottom links working, but simultaneously top links totally disappearing. Weird.

Advertisement