Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best summer in memory

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My flagship summer was 1995. It is hard to beat it. Barely remember 1976, I was only 5. 2013 gets a special mention. It broke a string of poor if not downright bad summers. 2012 was the worst of the series.

My least favourite summer was 1985 closely followed by 1986. 1983 and 84 were pretty good summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I seem to remember summer 1993 being nice, especially around June, but my memory has gone for the rest of it.

1995 was great.

2006 I can remember driving through the midlands and getting to Athlone and seeing 30 degrees on the car. I had to stop and get out to see what that felt like in Ireland.

The last two weeks were fantastic. As I type this the rain is pulverising the attic windows, such a contrast.

So is there any hope for another heatwave, or is that our lot??

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Yes, 2013 really was important in breaking that dreadful spell of summers from 2007-2012. It marked a sea change. I genuinely thought we were stuck with those summers forever. 😳

Yes I remember the week that Katie Taylor was boxing in the London Olympics was nice and sunny but in general 2012 was another one of the 6 "bad" summers in a row from 2007 to 2012, 2010 was the best of the bad lot.

The week I'm talking about was actually late May 2012! What a tease of a week. I do think 2012 is the worst summer I can remember. I was walking to and from that summer. I lived in a city with terrible public transport. Walking was quicker. I came into and home from work SO many times with my jeans completely soaked and stuck to me from the heavy rain. Usually in Ireland, the rain is actually pretty light and you'll be grand but I was peeling my jeans off myself with regularly. I had a lot of visitors to me that summer. All rain, all the time. Took a few weekend trips - all rain, all the time.

Weirdly, the winter was much drier. I got a bike around September and didn't miss one day of cycling to work that winter.

• Advertisement

There was also a very nice sunny week in late March 2012 iirc. Most of those 2007 to 2012 summers have kind of blurred into one but in my mind 2008 was the worst that might be just my imagination because it was also the start of austerity

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sergioaguero

1995, classic

One thing about the recent good hot summers is that August is always a complete write off, 95 has never been beaten because it lasted right through August and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

2018 was amazing. I remember even in August we got some balmy nights, one of which might be the nicest evenings ever. I remember driving with the roof down feeling like I was in Miami Vice. It actually started raining though just after

Absolutely, that string of summers WAS the recession in weather form. It felt like a cruel joke from nature. If we were going to be fooked, couldn't it at least have been in good weather? My mother said the '80s were the same - recession and some absolute howlers of summers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement