Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Tokyo 2020 Olympics/Paralympics Thread in 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yep, she's off in the 200 at around 11.30 tomorrow morning

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Clearly you beleve equatorial guinea isnt proud of Eric Moussambani

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

Really enjoyed the team gymnastics and delighted for team GB.

It turns out that the twins Jennifer & Jessica were born in Dublin and Alice Kinsella's father played football for Ireland!

Sure we could nearly claim that as an Irish medal if we get stuck🥉

• Registered Users Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Going back to the money thing losing out on athletes with divided loyalties is another potential downside as they might see the UK or whoever Olympic program as was better than ours.

Anyone know what the story is with Irish Olympians who line out for NI in the Commonwealth Games and if they can get funding from both sides ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mark Kinsella was part of the Irish side that played at the 2002 world cup. A very tidy midfielder as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Morris Garren

No.

It's not embarrassing. It's good news. Are you uncomfortable seeing a young woman succeeding at Olympic level, 8th best on the planet in her specific discipline? As for the 'fair play to her' that's purely condescending.

You're trying too hard here!

Is that you Neil Francis??? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

There is a swimming stroke and Mona McSharry is in the top eighth in the world at it. Just think about that for a second. Think how many women swim that stroke every single day. And she is the eighth best in the world at it. Mediocrity?

Check out the overall medal hauls of any country our size or population. How much better will they be?

Ah the other old classic I love is the 'new Irish ' record.

Swimmer and men's relay there finished 14th & 15th but they are over the moon because they broke a new Irish record, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just on a technical point, because the event is limited to 2 contestants per country its really unlikely that she is in the top 8 in the world.

e.g., America got silver and bronze from their maximum contingent of two - but looking at the results of the USA trials it seems the girls who finished in 3rd, 4th and 5th there regularly get times that would put them in the Top 8 in Tokyo.

Them's the rules obviously, but it does mean that many genuine Top X in the world contenders from USA, China, Russia etc in various events miss out on even ever appearing at the Olympics in their career.

Fair dues to Mona, incredible achievement (just in case my post comes over as begrudging which it's not meant to be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So someone swam faster than anyone else ever has in Ireland at that distance.

You don't think that's something to be proud of and celebrated?

Because I do.

How fast can you swim? Will we be seeing you at the next Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Miss McSharry performed very well but our medals haul down the years is awful even allowing for population

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Those lads would have had to get up at 3am three times a week, be in the swimming pool for 5am. I know one of those lads journey was least a hour every morning. They finish 7am before heading home to bed maybe for hour then get up, go to school, do exams and homework before maybe going into local pool to swim some more. That was just during the week. Thats before they began college where they were on high performance teams in UL or Dublin.

Please share your similar experiences and tell us how great you were.

Do you think they're not trying hard enough, or what?

Eh the point I'm making is that you can break as many Irish records as you want but if you want to compete with the big boys then that's the times you have to beat, not the crap Irish records and that's just a fact.

Exactly. What also happens in countries like ours is we sometimes get people who hold a number of different nationalities deciding to go with Irish flag as they know not a hope of qualifying in other country that their from as competition too high there.

I've no issue with this but it does mean you don't always get best athletes at the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

As a parent who for years got up at 4.30 am to take my daughter to swim training every single .01 of a second off your pb is to be celebrated. Paul O’Connell was a very talented swimmer and is on record as saying that swimming training is the hardest training ever, he found rugby training so easy compared to it.

What Mona has achieved is incredible and she will get better. The drudge of hours doing sets, morning after morning and then going to school/college after is very hard to quantify unless you actually go through it yourself and bear in mind the many hours of land training as well. It’s also a very expensive sport, the skins are outrageously expensive and an average swimmer will go through half a dozen normal Speedo’s a year for training alone due to the chlorine.

Every Irish competitor in the Olympics has sacrificed so much to be there and it’s sad to see their efforts criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Ireland has a population of around 5 million. We had a swimmer finish 8th in the world. China has a population of around 1.4 billion and she still finished 8th. Perspective is a great thing.

I'm not questioning the effort she has put in but the fact is every olympic swimmer has also put in that same amount of work.

What I am critical of is the totally over the top media reaction to athletes who let's face it haven't achieved a medal.

Seen it again tonight with swimmer finishing 14th and Irish media reporting his reaction as ecstatic and over the moon.

That's just embassing.

It's really not.

What's your biggest achievement, so we can pull it to pieces in public, and mock you as an embarrassment?

• Advertisement

I just think we would be better off focusing on the sports that we are actually good at on world stage and pumping more money into that like boxing, sailing, rowing etc and have a chance at winning a medal.

At the end of the day it's medal winners that are rembered, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

While I agree with your point about some of the top athletes missing out on the Olympics due to the qualification process, it is worth noting that McSharry was ranked 15th in the world for the 100 metre breaststroke (check out fina.org) prior to the start of Tokyo 2020 last week. That ranking includes all the times set by the Americans in their Olympic trials etc. So it demonstrates that McSharry is a world-class swimmer.

Which Irish athletes are currently doing what you describe ?

Oh my, so she’s probably only in the top 30 in that stroke in the world. What a loser. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

You can’t understand the effort unless you have seen it yourself, bear in mind the limited financial support here compared to other countries and also the lack of top class facilities. The sports grants top class athletes receive are minuscule for most and if they have a bad year due to injury, loss of form etc their grant is cut. I remember Derval O’Rourke’s grant being cut after a bad year when she had major Achilles surgery.

I’m not trying to be condescending here but you strike me as someone who only gets interested in niche sports every few years and wonders why we underperform as a nation. Truth be told we actually compare favourably to other nations our size.

Our best medal hopes are in the rowing and boxing, maybe the gymnast and equestrian team but however things go I’m just grateful for the distraction from everything Covid related.

Not really. Check out the Olympic medal hauls of a wide variety of countries of our population. You’ll genuinely struggle to find many that are much better than us and many that are far worse. People’s expectations are unrealistic.

Our success in sailing and rowing is fairly recent. We have a world class gymnast now too. Nobody would have predicted that 10 years ago.

Its not its probably about where it should be. Most other countries our size if they are picking up medals its usually for something obscure that they pick up a rake of medals on or like we did the year the drugged horse won and most people didnt really give a $h1t. We could maybe pour a load of money into niche sports just to get the medal numbers up but would that many people really care especially when they find out that it takes money from Soccer/GAA/Rugby and also athletics, swimming and boxing funding. Or we could double down on something like rowing or boxing and say F the other olympic sports and pick up medals that way.

The overall table also has a lot of oddities as it gives the UK all our medals pre 1920 and doesnt dish out the old Yugoslavia medals to the different countries so its distorted for many countries so I wouldnt worry too much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Christy42

We were also dirt poor for most of it which makes a big difference to what training facilities we can provide.

No idea about what facilities are like in for countries our size elsewhere and how they compare. Also if they have focused on only a few sports like we have (in terms of high quality facilities).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In the past, it was all athletics and boxing. Rio was a huge breakthrough in that we won two medals on the water.

Advertisement