Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cattle and sheep shed

• 12-04-2021 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

How a yas? Does anyone here house cattle and sheep in the same shed? I have a dry shed here 17 metres long by 15 metres wide and was hoping to use it for sheep at lambing time and to house a few weanlings over the winter. Has anyone on here got a set up similar or is it just asking for hassle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭148multi

390kid wrote: »
    How a yas? Does anyone here house cattle and sheep in the same shed? I have a dry shed here 17 metres long by 15 metres wide and was hoping to use it for sheep at lambing time and to house a few weanlings over the winter. Has anyone on here got a set up similar or is it just asking for hassle

First off I don't house sheep and cattle at the same time in the same shed, but yes I have done as you say.
    There's not a lot to change, you can use the same feed barrier, just in a different way and water troughs will have to be lowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

148multi wrote: »
    First off I don't house sheep and cattle at the same time in the same shed, but yes I have done as you say.
    There's not a lot to change, you can use the same feed barrier, just in a different way and water troughs will have to be lowered.

What type of barrier do you have? Just an adjustable straight rail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Tileman

I’m almost at the stage of putting sheeting on my new sheep shed. I was planning on using non drip for the roof but the contractor advices me not to bother. It’s about 1€k extra to do it but he says most lads are not using it for livestock sheds as they are so well ventilated now?

any thoughts !

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I suppose the first question is to ask how high is the roof and what ventilation have you planned. Most of our livestock sheds have normal galvanised sheeting but they have highish roofs are open either end from 6'/7'. The older slatted unit has felt under the galvanised but it also has a low roof. Throw up a pic of your shed layout and more experience people than myself will let you know.

• Advertisement

Thanks base it’s 60x40 with side ventilated sheets. Two sliding doors on both ends and one side bay open. 14 ft to eve.

If you use two 6 X 3 under the cattle barrier, take top one out for sheep.

Sorry for the wait.

If you're putting cattle in the shed, the non drip part may well hold salt off any sweat, perhaps dpc on top of the timbers.

Ah it will only be for sheep really and a bit of machinery in summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

I'm not much of an expert but I would advise against using non drip.

Used it once in a small ration house - the lining peeled away from steel after 6/8 years

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the reply. Was hoping a few more would have replied on sheds that were built in the last few days . Maybe the new site is a factor in poor replies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

With ventilated sheets and an open side I cannot see the necessity for non drip on the roof sheeting.

Slava Ukrainii

That’s great thanks bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was in a shed on Saturday that has vented side sheets and I thought of your post. One side of the shed is cubicles with a door that cows can walk in and out. The feed passage has roller doors each end that are normally kept closed to discourage birds and the other side of the shed is used for storing round bales of straw. The roof sheets are not lined. I asked the farmer if has any problems with condensation and he said that he didn't. He said that he power washes the inside/outside of the vent sheets every year to stop the build up of cobwebs.

That’s great thanks base. If I could just get them back to sheet the shed now it would be great.

Advertisement