Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic MTB race

Options
  • 26-07-2021 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

just watched the replay on GCN+....great race and fair play to Tom Piddock...pity MvP crashed out ...what if...??

Comments

here's the crash on lap one, according to MvdP there was a ramp there on on the recon which was removed for the race.

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1419544101721104386

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Aside from whether he should have known the ramp was going to be removed (seems his coach and one of his teammates knew it would be), what's the point of having something there on the recon and not in the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭devonp

...same course for all the riders ...

has to be chalked down as a mistake on the part of MVDP

bummer

Between this and the women's road race the Dutch have not exactly got their communication down pat

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Two Olympic golds for Ineos riders so far and the TT is still to come. We can look forward to three years of Ineos photo-ops in front of gold painted Land Rover clones.

I'm not sure VDPs crash made any difference to the top step of the podium. Pidcock was just floating on that course today and his style didn't change all race - compared to Fleuckiger who was quite ragged in the last 20 minutes. I don't think VDP would have beaten him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Only rocking on in on Sat didn't help MVDP either. I read Tom Pidcock has been there for 2 weeks to prepare. As much as I would have liked to see MVDP win or medal, I feel as though he only has himself to blame in this. Wasn't any other incidents on that drop for the whole race.. (that I saw anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

His coach has also said that he told MvdP several times that the plank would not be there for the race. So it seems like it was completely MvdP's fault.

I would guess the reason for the plank being there in the recon is to allow riders become familiar with the obstacle at a slow speed rather than going straight 'off the cliff'. Then during each practice lap they can go faster and faster until they are comfortable to just jump the gap (and plank) and not roll down the plank at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Did I see a woman dressed in Irish team kit at the finish greeting and celebrating with Pidcock?

Anyone know what the story was there?

Didn't get a good look, just that she was blonde so Emily Kay or Shannon McCurley maybe?

I say those two because I noticed she had cycling glasses on her head. Most likely Kay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've spent the last 10 minutes looking at photos of Kay & McCurley and comparing them to the woman congratulating Pidcock. I don't think it's either of them. Nor is it Carolyn Hayes (Irish triathlete).

Can someone figure it out... it's annoying me now 😂

• Advertisement

reminds me to check in on the women's triathlon on now and see if the bike handling is as shockingly bad as it was last night when the leader on the bike nearly went bum over head on the red line at the transition to the run. Interestingly it's the same commentary on both RTE 2 and Eurosport with Ryle Nugent calling it on both.

EDIT: When they came back they mentioned world feed so they are calling the race globally in English for Discovery I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've mentioned before that a family friend was an elite triathlete, and represented ireland at the olympics, and had been considered a medal hope in london.

but i remember her parents telling me about her being surprised at how poor some of the the other competitors were in relation to tactics on the bike - elite triathlons are draft legal on the bike, but some of the other competitors there seemed not to know that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another mishap at a cycling event, was during training rather than competition though:

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/bmx-racer-crashes-hard-into-olympic-official-who-walked-out-onto-track-video/

Clean sweep of the medals by Switzerland in the Womens XC race - Neff won by over 70 seconds from Frei and Indergand

Oh and Van Der Poels ramp was back in the course

he probably stole it from the storage area and put it back.

More likely his coach did.

"See, Mathieu? - it was there all the time, you great big lummox!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thats obviously why the ramp was there during the recce as im assuming the men and women would be on course at the same time, not sure why its there for the women seems bit condescending.

The weather conditions had changed significantly (rain) and would have changed grip levels over the rock garden from the (dry) recce, so the ramp was put in as an alternative route. The original A-line through the rock garden (as used for the men's race) was also available to the women for the race.

"Due to the slippery landing surface on Sakura Drop the training ramp will be re-installed to allowed riders to roll the jump, but the A-line will remain open," said the communication issued by the UCI Technical Delegate.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Every lady bar pauline seemed to jump it anyway. The women are savage nowadays on mtbs. It's not just neff that can descend like a demon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ive no doubt about that !

just hadnt read the reports or seen the reports so was wondering ! makes sense if the weather conditions had changed

• Advertisement

That's the girlfriend of his coach Kurt Bogaerts, I think.

Advertisement