Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭ Pique

So I could possibly dig a narrow track in the middle rather than butchering the whole area.

I bought a curved chisel bit for my hammer drill to do exactly this for the power to the basestation across a footpath. Haven't done it yet but it could work for you too.

I was thinking of using some external tile grout to re-cover the cable. Probably not suitable for you if cars are driving on it though. Although for a guidewire you might be able to just push it down into the control joints in the concrete without any digging...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DrPhilG

Either of these 2 joints would do the trick.

557366.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭ KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thanks for the link here Kcross

Suggestions needed.

This is my house and garden. Currently 3 areas, with 1 and 2 linked by a strip of grass about 1m wide that goes up quite steeply at the end although I could possibly flatten it a bit.

More difficult is the concrete driveway between areas 2 and 3. Can a mower cross that area if I dipped the kerbs? I understand it would need to follow a guide wire but there are joints in the concrete like this one:

So I could possibly dig a narrow track in the middle rather than butchering the whole area.

Finally section 4 is an area of rough ground behind the back fence that is part of my site, I've just never got around to turning it into a lawn. I will do someday though so that would be additional grass area.

The full site is about 0.8 of an acre so that should give a rough idea of the sq m of grass.

A few things Phil.

To put a guide wire across the drive would require you to actually put in 3 wires across the drive a metre or so apart. The guide wire isn’t allowed cross the boundary wire so that might not be something you’d considered.

If putting in 3 wires is turning you off you could consider a second robot that only cuts section 3. A small robot for that area can be got quite cheap (€hundreds) and means no issues with the driveway then. It’s also next to your garage so looks like you won’t have issues getting power to that area for the charging station.

To get from 1–>2 you will need a guide wire for that section as it’s quite long and narrow so that needs to be part of your buying decision as some robots don’t have guide wires.

Thanks KCross

OK so to get this clear in my head, the guide wire can't cross the boundary, therefore I'd need to run the boundary either side and the guide in the middle?

How about if I ran the boundary wires in other tracks, which there are quite a few of due to the size. Could they double back towards the centre like this to form the boundary?

557378.jpg

I'd prefer not to have to fart about with 2 separate mowers.

As for the other side, is this area wide enough to accommodate the movement?

Narrow part
    557380.jpg

Gets wider on the way to the back
    557381.jpg

Narrow sloped bit as it joins
    557382.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks KCross

OK so to get this clear in my head, the guide wire can't cross the boundary, therefore I'd need to run the boundary either side and the guide in the middle?

How about if I ran the boundary wires in other tracks, which there are quite a few of due to the size. Could they double back towards the centre like this to form the boundary?

I'd prefer not to have to fart about with 2 separate mowers.

Not sure what you mean by double back but what you have shown with the red lines would technically work but what you end up with is the mower interpreting that wide area on the driveway between the two boundary wires as part of the lawn so it will actually spend time “cutting” that part of your driveway so not an ideal solution.

By keeping the area narrow it won’t naturally find its way across the driveway except when it’s specifically following the guide wire (i.e when it’s heading to area 3)

As for the other side, is this area wide enough to accommodate the movement?

Looks wide enough. Whatever robot you buy check it’s spec for min distance but looks ok to me.

It does definitely need a guide wire though and you may find that that narrow section needs some manual cutting. Long narrow sections are not the robots friend.

How do you cut that today? Does the ride on travel up there or do you have a push mower too?

KCross wrote: »
    How do you cut that today? Does the ride on travel up there or do you have a push mower too?

I do have an old push mower too but I usually just take the strimmer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭ spose

To put the wires across the driveway you only need a very small channel. I cut mine with a stone blade on a circular saw. Just needs to be deep enough to fit the wire and something over it to seal it

spose wrote: »
    To put the wires across the driveway you only need a very small channel. I cut mine with a stone blade on a circular saw. Just needs to be deep enough to fit the wire and something over it to seal it

Yes and I could fit it into the existing track, but as KCross says I'd need 3 wires. That makes things tricker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ E30M3

Some mowers i.e Ambrogio L350 Elite don't use guide wires, only boundary wires. Does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭ spose

Yes and I could fit it into the existing track, but as KCross says I'd need 3 wires. That makes things tricker.

I have 3 wires crossing about 12 to 15m of tarmac. It’s not a big deal. The channels cut by saw are so thin the don’t stand out much. I put a photo of it in this thread at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭ celt262

Will the robot mower work on a second lawn with guide wires in place. I would have to carry it over.

I'm buying shortly and interested in a robot for obvious reason but power to the charger may be a problem on the main lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭ micks_address

hi folks - i only have a small enough grass area at back of the house. - maybe 25 meters squared - are there any mowers around the 500 euro mark that would be up to the task? pure laziness talking here as currently have a petrol mower which i take out every few weeks
    cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭ DaveyDave

hi folks - i only have a small enough grass area at back of the house. - maybe 25 meters squared - are there any mowers around the 500 euro mark that would be up to the task? pure laziness talking here as currently have a petrol mower which i take out every few weeks
    cheers,
    Mick

I got a Yard Force EasyMow 260 last month for €320, garden is 70m2 and it's grand. Cuts an hour each day no issues.

No app or anything fancy, the schedule is whatever time you first start it is the time it goes out at each day. No alarm or pin protection, no WiFi. Spending more just meant WiFi, an app or a 500m coverage but same 16cm cutting diameter as far as I know.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I got a Yard Force EasyMow 260 last month for €320, garden is 70m2 and it's grand. Cuts an hour each day no issues.

No app or anything fancy, the schedule is whatever time you first start it is the time it goes out at each day. No alarm or pin protection, no WiFi. Spending more just meant WiFi, an app or a 500m coverage but same 16cm cutting diameter as far as I know.

can i ask where you bought from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭ DaveyDave

can i ask where you bought from?

My Robot Center, Austrian based I believe. Quick dispatch and delivery. Comes with a chunky EU plug but is just about covered by my outdoor socket. Amazon UK don't ship most of them here and the prices in the likes of B&Q or Screwfix are a good bit more expensive than online, especially for someone wanting to just get a basic one or has a small garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭ blackbox

celt262 wrote: »
    Will the robot mower work on a second lawn with guide wires in place. I would have to carry it over.

I'm buying shortly and interested in a robot for obvious reason but power to the charger may be a problem on the main lawn.

Yes, for most if not all models.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ Foggy Jew

Thank you, thank you thank you.  I had no idea these machines existed.  I got one installed last week.  All I can say is thank you thank you thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dodo13

Wow what an amazing amount of information in this thread. I have read it from start to finish. I have a lawn of 1800sq m with another 500 sq m on the other side of the driveway. I don’t own a mower and currently pay a man who cuts it with a big ride-on every 2 weeks, leaving the cuttings on the grass😖 for £47 a pop. It looks fine when cut, not so good 2 weeks later. I had been thinking of buying a ride on while the kids are at home and might help, but was put off by the need then for a trailer and towbar to take it to be serviced. I could also guess that driving the mower would be a novelty at first but could turn into yet another challenge to get done. I am really sold on the idea of a robot and am waiting for my local Husqvarna dealer to come and do a lawn survey. I also have a local dealer for the Honda Miimo but I haven’t seen any mention of it on here. I have yo-yo'd between buy online and self install vs dealer. I think on balance I will go for the dealer even though it is a premium price. Also I am in NI so we are no longer EU, might cause issues with a European online shop, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ Daz_

hi. anyone here used the Ambrogio 250i Elite? I had a bad experience with a Stihl 632pc so looking at this as an alternative . 4000sq meters.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ Bedouin79

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ murfler

Bought a husqvarna 430x April of last year and it has been back in the shop 3 times since with a bearing problem. After about 3 months of use it started making screeching noise when cutting. A bearing needed replacing in the cutting disc, worked it again for about 2 months and was then put away for winter.

Out cutting again this season for about 2 months and exact same thing happened again. I asked the guys in shop is this going to continue happening every 3 or 4 months and they said it shouldn't.

I don't think a brand new machine should be giving so much trouble, it is not overworked, its way over speced for my lawn, clear flat lawn, blades changed regularly.

I cut at the lowest setting and guys in shop said that could be causing it but I like my grass short. That is like having a car with 5 gears but you can't drive in first? Also I only recently started using non branded blades and they said that would throw off the balance on the cutting disc as blades wouldn't be standard weight and screws might be a bit heavier. I call bs on that, surely couldn't be much of a discrepancy in 3 little blades and screws.

Anyone else have any similar problems with husqvarna?

Thanks

I change that bearing once a year. The bearing isnt nearly as good as it should be. Super easy to do yourself and only a few euro to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ Bedouin79

as above have the elite +, doing 4000 mtrs. With no problems initially had a few setup issues but with a decent bit of help from here Brutus Beefcake (legend) it’s all been good. Went through 3 blade guards until i realised I should have mowed the lawn first before sending out the robot. I clean the blade guard for grass every 3 days now more often if it’s wet. Just saves the grass from building up. Quick tip spray the underside with wd40 from time to time as it stops cutting from sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ murfler

OK thanks so it is a regular serviceable item? I am cutting at level 3 now but it just never looks properly cut to me at that height and if you are saying the bearing will fail anyway I may as well go back cutting it at lowest level

hi folks... question on mowing and dog droppings... do you collect each day before the mower lets loose?

Noooo!

Would you pick them up for the ride-on mower?!! Who cares if the robot drives over one.... it will wear off again quickly enough as it's out for hours.

well our garden is quite small so we usually pick them up a few times a week.. we only mow maybe every 2 weeks.. as long as the mower doesnt care then i wont care..

• Advertisement

It wont care.

And do bear in mind that the robot will be out most days, not just a case of sending it out once a week, so its a very different process to a ride-on so you'd be constantly chasing sh*t around the lawn if you were looking to clear it up for the robot! ;)

Advertisement