Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broke shaft on new ping driver...

Options
  • 25-07-2021 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Earlier today I broke the shaft on my new ping driver, poor swing and hit more ground that ball, snapped in two. It’s only about two months old, am I likely to have any comeback on it, or is tough luck ie but a new shaft at my own expense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Just curious as to why you would be even thinking that you might not have to pay for a replacement shaft. After all you have nobody to blame for hitting the ground other than yourself. No harm in going back to where you bought it but they would want to be quite generous to replace FOC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

If you're a member of a club you might be covered through your insurance. Not sure of the process involved with filling out claim form etc but the club pro should be able to advise you

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Yes mackerer1, I know it’s entirely my own fault, I’ll get in touch with where I bought it and see what happens, big drive, unfortunately it’s not at the club where I play at, so no point in asking them about it. Ultimately it’s my own doing but was just wondering if gui insurance etc would kick in.😳🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Completely disagree, breaking a shaft through taking a normal shot, especially a new club that cost €400/500+? I'd be on to Ping looking for a replacement and would be expecting them to provide one.

Now if you had it teed up on a rock and smashed it off the rock, maybe it's your fault, hitting a bad golf shot? I'd consider that normal use in fairness and would 100% expect the club to stand up to normal use.

Get on to Ping and I'd expect a favourable response imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

What hitting off the ground isn't a normal shot, hitting a stone would be the same as hitting the ground

or even worse for the shaft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Ya I think GUI insurance would be possible but I don't know the ins and outs of it

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Rang ping earlier today and they said go to the retailer and see what he says, did so and then he rang ping, after he was satisfied that I didn’t break it over my knee in a fit of temper, then the retailer told me that ping said they would cover the cost. He gave me a new shaft from a new driver and ping will send him on a replacement shaft. So happy days, btw the ground is rock hard these days which helped in my original misfortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Good Result in the end. To be honest I half expected that this might be the outcome as I have heard personally from a friend that was in a slightly similar situation and the shop / club manufacturer looked after him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I had a fairly new Ping G25 3 wood 6 or 7 years ago, a mate asked could he have a dig off it in Kinsey driving range, 3rd or 4th swing he hits an unmerciful chunk, shaft snaps about an inch from the bottom.

brought it down to McGuirks downstairs (I’d bought it in McGuirks in Blanch), they took it, showed it to the ping rep a few days later, and I had it back reshafted within a week.

the rep just checked the break to make sure it wasn’t from an impact from striking something on the shaft and Ping happily covered it.

Advertisement