Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Next car advice

Options
  • 21-07-2021 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’ve all but decided to take the plunge and move on from a mk7.5 GTI and am looking at around the 60k mark for a new motor.

I’ve been looking in the “compact” saloon area with a 330e bmw m sport pro winning in the attention stakes so far. I’ve pretty much decided to go new due to the lack of good second hand stock these days.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If you're looking at 3 series there's not a huge amount of advice can be given to look elsewhere outside of its German siblings. C350e from merc probably the most direct competitor. Audi don't have direct competitor in the a4.

Also the larger saloons warrant a look if you have 60k to spend, 530e, A6 tfsie and merc e class. A 330e won't cost you 60k without going nuts on options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Longshot but how about Cupra.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Thanks, gents.

I've been looking at the M Sport Pro 330e which comes out at slightly under €60k. A6s are absolute buses imo.

Haven't investigated Cupra's before - Formentor looks quite attractive but not sure I'm at the stage where I'd consider a crossover/SUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I have a 330e and can highly recommend if it’s suited to your driving routine. Really great economy if you plug in at every opportunity but also a pretty quick and rewarding car to drive when you want.

it won’t be the same as a golf gti though. They are a different animal.

ordering new may not get you a car very quickly and there are shortages of equipment available most notably the Harman kardon upgraded speakers ( standard audio not great but acceptable).

Audi S3 saloon or hatch would come into budget too but it wouldn’t have much kit on it for 60k.

there is a new c class merc coming but they still seem to be for the mature audience and the reviews I’ve seen are mixed.

tesla model 3 if you’re willing to try electric?

Would I be better off waiting for the facelift 3 series next year in that case?

I do like the look of the S3, but I’m changing car to get something slightly bigger so it doesn’t seem like it fits the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

At that money and looking for a performance saloon I'd definitely say to check out a Tesla Model 3. Just under 60K you're looking at a Long Range (4.4s 0-60, dual motor, 430hp~) or mid 60's a Performance (3.3s 0-60, dual motor, 560hp~).

The facelift is going into production July of next year so might be a 2023 car realistically.

you just missed the 5k grant which was halved to 2.5k at start of July and I wouldn’t be surprised if it disappeared altogether next year.

i would look for a stock car with decent spec if you’re looking for a car now.

the grant is gone for the Tesla model 3 long range as it is over 60k so it’s now a mid 60’s car nearly 70 if you add paint, wheels , white interior.

alfa Romeo guilia veloce maybe?

would be a lovely car bit risky residually?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Keary's in Cork have a decent spec 330i M Sport with delivery mileage for just under 63k if pure petrol is option:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2890788

Spec looks good on that, alright. I’ll wait to see the pics.

Joe Duffy have a couple of decent ex-demo 330es up at the minute as well that I’m looking at.

I'm not usually a fan of white but it actually looks well on the G20. This one is very well equipped, H/K sound system, adaptive laser headlights, Head Up Display and M Performance exterior styling:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2821825

• Advertisement

they're the regular led's not laser but nice car and ok price. I agree with Bazz in that the white looks but needs to be m sport spec.

If considering electric the new Kia EV6 looks like it will be a good car. 55k in GT line spec.

Overall, in the current market though I don't think you'll go far wrong in 330e.

I thought they were the upgraded laser headlights because of the blue reflection off them in the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I have no common sense but I'd go out and buy an M2 or a early 2000s 911 Carerra S (08 for 50k)

There's also a nice 2018 S5 in Colm Quinn https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s5-tfsi-quattro-2dr-auto-2dr-a/28595796

The new 330e is also a nice car

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

60k would get into a new Ford Mach E or how about a KIA EV6?

But if it really must be petrol how about the king of hot hatchs the Megane RS and you could have the Trophy version for just shy of 60k or for half that have the Megane Rs and buy yourself another car or do something else with the other 30k.

https://www.renault.ie/cars/megane-rs.html

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement