Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying relative - what to say to colleagues

• 23-07-2021 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi all,

My Dad has advanced dementia. He was given last rites earlier and the doc said it's likely that he'll pass away today or tomorrow.

This may sound trivial but I can't think properly and I'm a little all over the place. I have a normal office job and I know how to handle that. I also run a small business and have a few deliveries that I won't now be making over the weekend now. Do I simply say that my Dad is gravely ill and I'll unfortunately be unable to make the deliveries? I don't really know the staff in these stores and the emails are going to generic email addresses so I'm not sure if I should go into much detail.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sorry for your troubles.

Just tell them that. They’ll understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You are under no obligation to go into that detail. "due to family circumstances" is fine and include that you will further update them as soon as you are able to. Everyone encounters these times in their life at some point and you'll find your customers very understanding.

By the way I'm sorry for your impending loss, I've been where you are. Take care of yourself.

• Administrators Posts: 14,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I agree, for now you can keep it simple. "Due to personal circumstances...".

Is there anyone you can ask to cover for you in the small business for a few days?

Or if you can set up an auto reply on your email and a voicemail on your phone and then turn everything off for a few days.

People will understand. As mentioned above, we are all going to experience this at various times in our lives.

Take care of yourself over the next while. Anything outstanding can wait a few days/weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

'ndue to personal circumstances;' will do. People won't mind in such circumstances.

My deepest sympathy and take care of yourself.

Advertisement