Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

GDPR post the migration to Vanilla

• 20-07-2021 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

Can someone at Boards.e confirm that the site is on the hosted version of Vanilla? If it is can boards.ie confirm how that affects their GDPR obligations given that Vanilla host their sites outside the EU.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭ EmmetSpiceland

It’s been pointed out by Community Manager Niamh that Canada’s data protection is on par with GDPR so it shouldn’t be an issue.

He/him/his

“When you're used to privilege, equality feels like oppression”.

#bekind

• Registered Users Posts: 10 itchyfinger

Canada is part of five eyes, so i doubt your data is GDPR compliant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ Ljmscooter

During the outage earlier there was a status page. It showed that the platform was hosted in datacenter in aws availability zones in both ca and us .

Just saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭ RangeR

.can't delete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

well then perhaps one of the admins or employees would care to comment on the thread? the silence is deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭ markodaly

Fair enough, but why the silence from the admin's on a site that is in blatant breach of GDPR?

Was this stuff even in consideration when they migrated the site? One thing I have noticed is that there deafening silence from the admins and senior mods about all this. Usually, when there is an issue the admins and senior mods are usually quick to jump in and give their version, but their silence this time around is telling.

I can imagine the discussions being had behind closed doors and the mod-only forums.

Or listed Data Protection Officer, that I can['t] find.

To be fair, the mods would be as in the dark as we are, probably all the way up to smods. It's [possibly] the admins, the paid staff, the techincal department who have these answers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007

What breach are you talking about? Which pieces of your personal data does the boards collect that is covered by the GDPR to start with. Your name, your address, your social security number….. nope. Only your email address and unless you have a very unique name and use it as your address it does not make you clearly identifiable.

if the data is being moved to Canada it is within the rules provided for under GDPR and we don’t have confirmation that that has happened.

So what would the nature of a complaint you would file with the commission look like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭ K.Flyer

I was wondering how safe and secure the personal details that people may have passed back and forward in p.m. are.

I would think given all the concerns raised above over the last few days that admin should at least come forward to ally any concerns people are having regarding security and gdpr.

I already linked it. There is no Terms of Use, there is no Cookie Policy, there is no Privacy notice.

There is no consent given to the cookie information they have nor the ability to withdraw that consent.

If I am wrong, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,246 ✭✭✭✭ seamus

I was convinced it popped up for me the first time I loaded the new site on mobile. Just ran in incognito mode now and nothing, so obviously I'm mistaken.

Another one for the bug list, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,013 ✭✭✭✭ Hotblack Desiato

That'd be Cloudflare, which boards has been using for a few years now.

Make our National Maternity Hospital Public and Secular

#MakeNMHOurs

Nuns Nuns Reverse Reverse!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭✭ Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hello all. Apologies for not getting to this thread before now, our primary focus has been on bugs and missing features so far.

We're working on a post re: GDPR and data processing on the new site. We are also working on getting the Cookie Policy and Privacy Notice back up as soon as we can. Vanilla were added to the list of third party cookies being used on Cookie Policy and to the list of Third Parties we work with on the Privacy Notice, I don't think anything else has changed from our previous Cookie Policy or Privacy Notice.

When we have a comprehensive post for you about data, hosting, GDPR, we'll post it here and in the other thread re Privacy or post in one, link in the other.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭ shanec1928

the more that comes out from this move the worse it gets. Brush it off. In the time it took you Niamh to type all that out you could have simply just said the data is currently stored in location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

That's a good point. Niamh could have just answered the part of my post that she does know the answer to.

Advertisement