Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Titleist Pro V 1X

Options
  • 19-07-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭

Hi all - looking for advice on a more affordable ball than the Pro V 1X. Ideally something on special in American Golf or Mcguirks (near me), or on Amazon.

Was a half decent golfer 4 years ago, 8h/cap, don't play much any more, hence I need quantity as much as quality before playing 2 links courses at weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm thinking Srixon Tour, maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Look up Seed golf balls. I find them great and have a subscription now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Srixon Z-star are good and ive been using them recently.

I change between TP5/ProV1/Z-star with no noticeable difference in performance for me anyway. Which ever is on offer is what i usually get.

Srixon AD333 are a good ball also if you want something a bit cheaper. Seed SD-02 very good i find too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Z-Star are a very good ball alright, but probably not a massive saving relative to the ProV1X.

Seed will definitely be a saving and good quality balls.

Vice also do a good comparable ball, think it might be called the Pro Plus or something like that.

Bridgestone do very good performing balls too, not sure which would fit in the slot of ProV1X though.

Avoid the Chrome Soft X from Callaway I'd say, but other than that any of those mentioned above shocks fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭coillcam

The Seed 01 or 02 models are great value for money once you use the subscription option to purchase (immediately pause it). Delivery usually 1-2 days. I think you need to order three dozen for free shipping atm otherwise it's a fiver. Performance is as comparable to any of the other direct to consumer balls (Snell, Vice etc), which all match up in the same bracket as V1, TP5, Chromsoft etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I have a seed subscription and like the ball (would still prefer the pro v 1) plus they're an Irish company so it's nice to support a local employer.

+1 for the Srixon AD333, by far the best relatively budget ball. Used to buy them regularly and anytime I find one, they're still lovely to play.

Do like the Bridgestone as well, and sometimes you can get a good deal on their premium balls.

Edit: I see you're looking for the pro v1x alternative, definitely the Seed SD 02 in that case

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

+ one for Seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Another vote for Seed, in your case Seed 02. 3 dozen work out at 87eur and free courier delivery at that spend.

Alternatively, if one of the links courses is Enniscrone, there's about a dozen of mine out there somewhere from last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

I've tried out the Seed 01 this year. Really good ball

Gets really good reviews on a few prominent YouTube golf channels that would have no affiliation to Seed and have no problem saying if a product is poor. So I think that's a good recommendation

TXG in particular do serious analysis of products and put it up as good as Pro v1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks folks. Have ordered Seed 02, love the idea of buying Irish for this, seeing as they will be adorning the Irish countryside, far and wide (from the fairway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

New Seed SD01 available now. Has anyone tried it out?

I got a few of them before a trip last week. HIO the Monday and 3 shot PB on Thursday. No complaints from me anyway 😂.

I was using the yellow balls. The only negative is that the yellow paint can scuff off pretty quickly. However, the ball would cut up a normal amount so it's as durable as I'm used to. The paint scuffs are purely cosmetic. Distance, height and spin wise I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I was more or less matching my mate who's similar length off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

It seems from reading their mail last week that their last Seed 01 failed some of the tests and was not legal

But they are selling again as Seed X1

They apparently recorded ball speed over the legal limit (just barely). However it's allowed as a pass as it's within the tolerence of margin for error.

If you clocked 1kph faster than speed limit on the road, the gardai aren't chasing you for the same reason.

Ultimately it's just a clever marketing gimmick. Their balls are made in the same factory as honma and others. They are all spec'd to max out at the legal limit. You could run the same test with another seed batch and be just under the legal limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I use Bridgestone Tour B XS as I can usually get a dozen on eBay for around £33, way cheaper than Titleist. They have a very nice feel, very similar to a Pro V, and if you like a firmer feel the Tour B X is a good choice, though I find it a bit firm with the putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

The Seed ball has gotten more good reviews on YouTube over past couple days. I've seen a couple videos pop up

In general I've yet to see a bad review. TXG who would be seen as very knowledgeable gave it a serious positive review in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'd wondered on the durability of the new release. Their claim is that the cover is considerably thinner than Pro Vs on the new SD-01, and I was thinking they might get cut up more quickly as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Another vote for the Srixon AD433 - Great value.

And, since you mention quantity, 3 dozen for €45.46 (free delivery with prime) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084DV5JSF?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k5_1_6&amp=&crid=14FUTDT2K4VJT&amp=&sprefix=taylor

I have ordered them twice and split them with my friend and we both find them very playable

Seed are doing a masters bundle for the weekend.

Its €125 for 5x dozen SD-01. You can mix match yellow/white too.

Great deal tbf. The best price is usually €29 a dozen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

If you want to try the seeds just take a walk around Corballis tomorrow. It'll be like an Easter egg hunt. Make sure to look in places you'd never expect to find them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement