Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Absolute Novice

Options
  • 16-07-2021 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am not a young man by any means but I am somewhat sorry to say that I have never really bought a car with any real effort or consideration.

The time has arrived for me to buy a second car and with a budget of anywhere up to 50k at a push, I've never really bought a car myself, looked at the market or understood what I am doing beyond getting a HP deal with a dealer. I would like to not make an absolute show of myself and buy magic beans. I am looking at new cars mostly, but then looking at used and thinking I could get a lot for my money. My general driving is one 200km round trip a week and then mostly driving within a 15km radius.

A couple of general questions:

1. Am I mad to look at Diesel cars given climate change / government behaviours? I really like the 5 series from around 2017 to 2019 and could get a lot for my money.
    2. Is buying a brand new car for cash essentially giving away money? I would be looking at something like a 2 series or perhaps even a Model 3 Tesla.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Massive difference between a 2 series, 5 series and a model 3!!

If you have 50k spare and want a nice car go for it. Do you really need a 50k car for a few hundred km a week? What else could you do with the cash re savings or travel or house improvements?

Advertisement