Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gen 1/2 Mazda 3/6s

• 06-07-2021 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello all again,

I was wondering if any of you have experience with the manual first and second generation(mk1/mk2) mazda 3 (saloon/sedan) and 6 with the 2.0 and 2.2 diesel engines? Maybe the petrol ones too but im not as interested in them because I dont think i could justify the running costs.

If so could you kindly share any problems you had, things that disappointed you about the car, what MPG you were getting from what type of driving, any premature rust issues, AC dying early etc.

I would expect clutches and possibly timing chains to be needing a replacement as the cars would be a biteen old.

Thanks very much in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you find a first gen Mazda 6 diesel that starts and drives , then it's probably a good one, but I don't think there were any good ones

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

alias no.9 wrote: »
    If you find a first gen Mazda 6 diesel that starts and drives , then it's probably a good one, but I don't think there were any good ones

That doesn't sound great at all :( . They do look lovely though, same as the 1st gen 3s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gen 1/2 Mazda3 used different diesel engines to the Mazda6. Gen 1 and 2 Mazda3 shared a platform and diesel engines with the Ford Focus. The 1.6 diesel in the Mazda3 was made by Peugeot/Citroen and used by Mazda as Ford had a stake in Mazda at the time. Not the most robust engine but would be way less riskier than the Mazda made 2.0 and 2.2 diesel found in the Mazda6.

Biggest problem outside of the above with Gen 1 and to a lesser extent the Gen 2 of both 3 and 6 will be rust. They not very well rust protected from new and the underbody had a tendency to rust pretty badly especially on UK imports exposed to salted roads in winter.

Advertisement