Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

We're moving - Read-Only 7th July

• 06-07-2021 5:07pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Further to our post on 1st June that we were moving platform - we really are moving platform this week :pac:

As you know we had a bit of a hiccup in June and took some extra time to work on some issues in the background.

The site will go read-only from tomorrow Wednesday 7th July at 6am until some time on Thursday 8th July while all of our site data is transferred to the new platform. It may spill over into Friday as other work has to be completed once the transfer is done and before we can open the site back up to posts again.

We are under no illusions that the new version of the site will be perfect, it won't be. We expect that you guys will discover issues that we didn't see. Some things will just work a little differently to what you are used to, otherwise it will more or less be the same.

Once we get any teething issues sorted out we're excited to see how we can update the site with new additions and features. You can go back to my earlier post here for details on what will be new after the move.

Hopefully nothing too discussion-worthy happens when we're read-only! :eek:

Thanks all!
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm scared! :pac:

I am in the process of replacing a few stacks of switches with many hundreds of UTP patch cords, so I know the feeling!
    Got to get every single on eback in the right place on the new hardware.

It's going to be the one cable that's missed that everyone will remember. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm sorry niamh. It's just not good enough.
    How will people be able to post insults, abuse, rubbish and other perma ban stuff while you inconvenience them by stopping them.
    What will the trolls do? TLM

You just haven't thought of them.

I'm other news... Good luck with the move :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IBTL.

Someone had to say it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

good luck it team! see you in the new.

and bye to our old profile pages, was lovely to see our old boards buds there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

dark mode top of the list

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not good enough Niamh!
    I'm off to hospital in the morning and now I have nowhere to gain pity thanks without resorting to bloody Facebook! ;)

Very disappointed :P :pac:

Mobile only users won't have a clue whats going on as they don't get the notification banner for this post

Also, where are we at wrt dark mode?

if it goes on longer than expected, please post read-only updates on boards facebook and twitter ?

:eek: oh the withdrawal... I might need to get a life! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do we need to pack? I've a small enough car but I'll chip in.

Good luck, fingers crossed there's no unexpected hitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Will there be an associated android boards app Niamh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are you guys providing a new skin for this site once it's up & running from later this week?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Silly question, I know, but is the URL for Boards going to remain the same? I know it's a different platform, but I was wondering whether it'll look like it's www.boards.ie. If not, I'll have to edit all of my Boards-related bookmarks... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

New Home wrote: »
    Silly question, I know, but is the URL for Boards going to remain the same? I know it's a different platform, but I was wondering whether it'll look like it's www.boards.ie. If not, I'll have to edit all of my Boards-related bookmarks... :(

They will just redirect the IP. you'll be grand

Will the new site still require it to be rebooted at 3am? 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Closing the site for the England game? I expect the soccer mods exerted some influence here!

But good luck with the move Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What the hell am I supposed to do at work tomorrow night?! No consideration!

As an aside, I do not envy ye! All appendages crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What the hell am I supposed to do at work tomorrow night?! No consideration!
    So many bosses will wonder why we had a productive day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

We will see about a mass for the good of the dole bashers they will all have to go without talking about the scrounging gits for 36+ hours the poor divils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

DelayedUniformDungbeetle-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

:pac: :pac: :pac:

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Some avatars that don't date back to the 1990s might be nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Good luck folks! Hope to be toasting your success in a couple of days.

...and thanks for keeping legacy up as long as you did, I think we've been truly spoiled on this format, :) it's been great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭con747

Goodbye Pacman :pac:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This must be exactly how the Apollo 13 crew felt when they went into radio silence before they tried to reenter the Earth's atmosphere, hoping that they wouldn't be destroyed before contact was restored.

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It's amazing how hooked on Boards some of us have become. We might gain new, or rediscover old, hobbies during the interregnum! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's amazing how hooked on Boards some of us have become. We might gain new, or rediscover old, hobbies during the interregnum! :)

I might actually pick up the book I started about 6 months ago and am only half way through.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement